Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
stranger
stranger
I like the idea of the D&D strength/weight based system of limiting inventory on the character. I do want arrows, I haven't read that much on the 5e. but if we could get a few dozen special arrows that we need to think about when and where to use i don't see how the game couldn't benefit.

addict
addict
I think finding a quiver of returning arrows would be a nice treasure, at around lv 6 or 7?

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Eguzky
[quote=Doomlord]
The downside is that you incur an AOO if you shoot while in melee.

Nope, that's older editions. In 5e you incur disadvantage (roll 2 d20, take the lower roll) on your attack if there's an opponent within 5' of you when you fire. You incur AOO when you move out of an enemy's reach.

apprentice
apprentice
When it comes to putting Ammunition Management in a game it comes down to this:

i) Is it fun?

ii) Are you intending for players to struggle to find ammunition?

If the answer to both is no, then you are shooting yourself in the foot by putting it in.

Last edited by Schuesseled; 27/03/20 05:05 PM.
X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Originally Posted by Schuesseled
When it comes to putting Ammunition Management in a game it comes down to this:

i) Is it fun?

ii) Are you intending for players to struggle to find ammunition?

If the answer to both is no, then you are shooting yourself in the foot by putting it in.

And if the answer to the 1st is no, and the 2nd is yes...then you are trying to shoot yourself in the foot, but just can't find the arrows.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Isn't it. "I used to like ammunition management then I took an arrow to the knee." silly

aargh rpg008

Last edited by Nobody_Special; 27/03/20 06:28 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Anything can be an arrow, if your PC is large enough.

..Imagine a giant's arrow in a giant-sized longbow..

stranger
stranger
lmfao the replies, in all seriousness, i think it does add a layer of immersion but at the same time I don't think it's necessary at the same time. Even in BG I felt it seemed kind of unecessary since arrows were like 1 gold a piece anyway and if there's no weight to them you'll see people load up on 200 arrows a quiver which is unrealistic unless they were to implement an arrow batch limit like in BG.

Overall I think it's a layer of gameplay that's unecessary and I think it'd be better to implement that special arrows that have one per use may be used as a command and have a focus on that. Other RPG series such as Dragon Age have never had ammunition management either with arrows after all. Not even Pillars or D:OS have had it. But it would be something that would make the game feel more like the classic BG games in a way since they did have some form of ammunition plus technically there is an ammunition system in 5e.

The main thing is that it's insignificant to the point where is there really a point to add it is the question.

X
journeyman
journeyman
X
Anything can be an arrow, if your PC is large enough.

..Imagine a giant's arrow in a giant-sized longbow..

That reminded me of The Gamers... "I sneak attack with a ballista."

veteran
veteran
You do not really need ammo if you have halflings.

[Linked Image]

Quiver of unlimited halflings for barbarians, please

Last edited by _Vic_; 27/03/20 08:52 PM.
addict
addict
At the end of the day for me, I could care less one way or the other. I'll never play a ranger, unless: 1. two weapon fighting or I need to peel off a enemy from a mob, and in recent games i've played that doesnt even work, I end up just getting agro from the entire mob.

The only thing that really concerns me about ranged attack in this game is what I saw in the reveal game play footage ( yes I know this was alpha and that the animation can change) When Swen was firing the bow at the start, his first shot or two was from like 10 feet away but the animations had a large arch to it, I know that may sound petty but it just looked funny, from that range it should have been a very direct shot rather it looked weak and lobby.

Last edited by Doomlord; 28/03/20 06:51 PM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
journeyman
journeyman
A mule/horse that carries some cargo is a decent solution.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Exclusif
You can make an argument for infinite ammo, but I really don’t like it. It’s one of one those small things that add up to making the game more arcady and less immersive.

Hard disapprove.

If 'immersive' is the argument for it, I could argue that we should have hunger and thirst bars.

Not a bad idea. Could make the PHB Ranger useful. He/ She could take the a background that allowed Tool Proficiency in Cook Utensils like the Urchin or the Guide Merchant.

Bard: "I want dinner, be a good lad, and go hunt something for us will ya? You like being alone, here's your chance, to do whatever it is you do, when by yourself."
Ranger walking away, points Longbow at Bards back "Nobody would know, nobody would know. They'd probably thank me, that idiot never shuts up."

And we should have to buy soap and bathe, or suffer penalties to CHA after a few days.

I think you're overestimating how bathing the average person in a medieval setting did. Once a week, would be guessing too much. The perfume business was big back then.

And there should be a mini-game for sharpening our weapons after a fight, or adjusting the straps on our plate armor. And bones should be breakable and take in-game months to heal.
And the main quest to get rid of the tadpole should have a timer ticking down every second after you start playing; take too long and you just game over. This includes when doing inventory management, cinematics, and talking to people, because time passes regardless of what you're doing.

Depends on the size of the bone. Broke my hand twice, in different places. First one took 5 weeks, second took 7 weeks.

Sometimes you have to suspend realism/immersion for player convenience and a more streamlined user experience.
I know I did not play Amazons in Diablo 2 because I got insanely bored of spending my money on arrows while my friends were buying magic weapons and armor and rings. Or going back to town every time I ran out.

I agree mostly. But rations, a waterskin, and ammo have been D&D staples since the Basic set. Mundane arrows, should never cost anywhere near what magical weapons, armor or magic rings cost. That said, I don't care if there is ammo and food management or not.

Last edited by Merlex; 29/04/20 11:04 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I believe that Larian will look at 5e and based on the ruleset determine if that particular rule 'fits' within their vision of BG3.

Thanks for reading...

Razorback aka Daevin Aruth
"Nullius Pavet Occursum" = "He fears not meeting with any one"
Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves...
https://discord.gg/jxA5AvA
journeyman
journeyman
Honestly, though, if limited ammo is important for immersion/ realism, other characters should also need to care for and maintain their armor and weapons on a regular basis. Not to mention the armor donning/ doffing requirements from 5e.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ellderon
A mule/horse that carries some cargo is a decent solution.

It willbe interesting to see if they give Paladins their mount at I believe lvl 2. It will probably come in a inconspicuous way like x2 weight carrying capacity.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Ammunition management is the most misserable aspect to playing ranged characters.

I hope they continue with the unlimited ammo.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Last time I played where ammunition management was a critical issue was ToEE. O the other hand, I think the costs of single use ammo is way too much in BG3 - no way would I pay as much for one arrow as I would a magic sword or armor piece.

journeyman
journeyman
Just an FYI, you can throw the npcs.
I think they should add ammo tracking. They sort of do with the elemental arrows. I think the weight management is more key.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard