Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Guys,

I have been playing a while, but after upgrading my computer I have frequent in game gpu chrashes. It will just go to black screen and give me a 'no device detected' warning. This happened on old save games straight away (after 2 seconds in game). But when continuing a bit older save I could play for a few hours. Now it will randomly happen while playing. I noticed it is more bound to happen if a lot of fire/explosions happen.

My hardware:

R5 3600 (upgraded from R5 1600)
16gb Corsair DDR4 3200 Ram
Inno3D RTX 2070 super ichill black (upgraded from gigabyte vega 56 oc)
Asrock ab350m pro 4 mobo
DOS2 is installed on a M2 nvme ssd.

Problems all started after the upgrade. Funny thing is, all other games have been running perfectly, haven't found any other issues whatsoever.

What have I tried so far:

reinstallation of the graphics drivers using DDU. I have now the latest nvidia release installed, without geforce experience.
Have done the steam verify game files.
Have deleted and reinstalled the game to a different drive
Set the EoCApp.exe to windows 7 mode
Opened only EoCApp.exe in administrator
Tried putting the game in fake fullscreen
Couldn't find anything in the windows event logs mentioning DOS2

Still happening.... What else can I try? This sucks, cause I really like wasting my time on this game right now :)

Last edited by hardleers; 01/06/20 12:05 PM.
Support
Support

A few game updates ago, one person reported getting a 'device removed' error on a monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate, but could avoid it limiting the game to 60FPS. That issue should be fixed, but you could try setting an FPS cap or lowering the game resolution or settings, to see if that makes a difference (in early development builds, some people in QA occasionally got this error when running multiple instances of the game, or running the editor and game at the same time).

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus, graphics utilities, or DirectX injectors, etc?
Another person reported getting this error in combat when playing the Steam version in Big Picture Mode, it was fine just starting it in the standard mode.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game, possibly starting it directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' executable.
Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Several people have reported fixing these DirectX errors by using MSI Afterburner to slightly underclock their graphics card (topic). The person who original reported this said 'lower both the "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" options by around 100 (so they say -100). Apply and close.'; generally that is enough, though one person reported that the initial test didn't help, but a slightly more aggressive underclock did (IIRC it was something like -200 or -250).

G-Sync / FreeSync:
One person with an nvidia card reported that disabling G-Sync in their drivers reduced the frequency of DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes. Unfortunately, in that case the problem was hardware related, and other games started crashing before the card died completely.

There are a couple D:OS EE topics on this error (it seems to be rarer in D:OS 2):

DXGI ERROR Crash - turned WIN 10 conflict (reverting back to Win 8 avoided the problem)

DXGI device removed error/CreateTexture2D failed (fixed by a clean reinstall of the video drivers)

As mentioned in the second topic, there is a program called TDR Manipulator that can change a Windows setting to control if and how Windows restarts the video drivers. Telling Windows to stop the resets may eliminate the crashes with the game, though if there is an actual problem causing the resets it will not be fixed, and could potentially lead to the computer freezing.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for the elaborate reply! I have used MSI afterburner to underclock the card (also put powerlimit al the way down) and so far (few hours gaming) no problems. Even when started normally through steam. Will keep this posted if it ever pops up again as reference for others.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard