Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
August ain't that far away. Likely the official word on this will be posted just around the time of EA release.

But what do you think both the minimum as well as the recommended specs are going to be like?

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Nobody?

I'll try (also based on the jump from Divinity OS1 to 2):

Minimum:

Intel Core i3 / AMD Phenom FX series CPU
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 7790
2 GB VRAM
50-60GB HD /SSD space
Windows 7 / 8 / 10 64bit

Recommended:

Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 series CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or ATI Radeon RX 470 or higher
4 GB VRAM
50-60 GB HD / SSD space
Windows 8 or higher 64bit

Last edited by Sven_; 22/06/20 02:01 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

My guess:
Based on the information we've been given(none) specs are somewhere between an abacus and a super computer.

Surprisingly unhelpful but unfortunately at this point all guesses are just that, guesses.
They have zero basis in reality.

No-one, outside of Larian, has any idea what the specs are.

The only thing we do know is that it will run on Stadia. (Specs below)

CPU: Custom 2.7GHz hyper-threaded x86 CPU with AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB L2+L3 cache
GPU: Custom AMD GPU with HBM2 memory and 56 compute units, capable of 10.7 teraflops
RAM: 16GB of RAM with up to 484GB/s of performance
SSD cloud storage

If your gaming rig has Stadia specs or better you can be confident that Baldur's Gate 3 will run well on it.

The rest of will have to wait for something official to be announced.

addict
addict
This would be nice to know. I think I asked as much during the AMA, but there was no reply. I am due for some upgrades to my PC (or even a new one), so it would be nice to have to time to research and build it to be ready. Hopefully they let us know no more than a month before release (though perhaps part of EA is seeing how the game runs on older machines too, so maybe they won't).

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't think you're gonna need a super computer to be able to run it; in particular as that would limit their audience too much. The DOS games too required rather modest machines.

At the same time, it's running on newer tech than DOS2, so some upgrades are to be expected, in particular with all the bells & whistles enabled.

I was the same as Emrikol. Saw a nice limited offer for a new GPU, but meanwhile didn't take it. Who knows... Maybe somebody with experience from previous Larian Early Access can tell a little more about how things went previous?

Last edited by Sven_; 22/06/20 09:02 PM.
stranger
stranger
The good thing with a turn-based game is once you choose what you want to do, running the game at 30 or 60 FPS don't affect your performance in the game. By making the game more advanced on the graphics and physics side of things mean the game will not look old that quickly and it's specially important for a game based on D&D rules set which typically last about 8-10 years for every editions of D&D. Making the game run on a 4 cores Intel / AMD Ryzen CPU as minimum, make sense to me and let the game being able to make use of 8 cores CPU as a recommended setting and maybe more for the ultimate experience. So even if RTX 2060 users happens to run the game at let's say 4K 30 FPS so the weaker GPUs would just downgrade the resolution to 1080p/1440p, make use of the kind of latest RTX 2080 Ti even it means to run the game on that GPU at 30 FPS with everything graphics bells and whistles running. On PC, people can always choose to decrease resolution and frame rate but in 2 years+, the game will still looks great and will be able to make use of upcoming GPUs down the line.

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Krytopsy
Making the game run on a 4 cores Intel / AMD Ryzen CPU as minimum, make sense to me and let the game being able to make use of 8 cores CPU as a recommended setting and maybe more for the ultimate experience

Sounds comparably steep in parts, considering that Ryzen's been just out for three years, but could be true. DOS2's official requirements were a bit ambitious, it just stated "Core i5", which incorporates a wide range of CPUs (including ones from 2009/2010).

But the four core prediction will likely turn out to be true. I have to upgrade my old CPU in particular in the coming months, guess we may have to wait and test it. There will likely also be a couple benchmarks, given the popularity of the franchise, like for DOS2:

https://imgur.com/a/BDfqR#lQF6Z9M

Last edited by Sven_; 23/06/20 07:21 AM.
stranger
stranger
Nice benchmarks, yeah because Intel quad cores CPUs start at 75$ with the i3-9100F and the i3-8100 quad cores released in 2017, cost 120$ and like you mention, most CPUs up to 2009/2010 had 4 cores as general requirement assumption for gaming so somebody have really to stretch a whole lot per say to not have at least a 4 cores CPU but a 6 cores mainstream platform CPU from Intel side tho is fairly new so I really think 4 cores as a minimum is the best. After all, what would be the use case where someone has a dual core, can't affford a better CPU but would be able to afford a good GPU ? Not so many IMO, maybe none lol

EDIT : Rather 6 cores as a minimum or so ? For the oldest i7s they could use their hyper threading features to get about 6 cores worth of performance at least and 4 cores users could just not have 100% of the physics stuff on by default where if someone have 6 cores or more or have hyper threading can turn on more of the physics greatness in the game.

Last edited by Krytopsy; 23/06/20 02:43 PM.
Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I think the 4 cores minimum sounds really good. smile Personally, I have to upgrade my machine some anyhow, which is why I am interested in this. BG3, Bloodlines 2 and Deathloop will be what I'm eyeing the most what to get personally. (I'm usually fine with medium Details though, and don't need 60fps). I could still Play Kingdom Come Deliverance on this, and except one mission or two, that still ran surprisingly decent.

Last edited by Sven_; 23/06/20 03:08 PM.
Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've just upgraded my mobo+CPU+RAM to turn my system into a 16 gigs of RAM Ryzen 3 3000 series one (4C / 8T). My system was really getting old, and it showed in a couple games already. Should be about decent enough -- will have to wait for the GPU though… currently, it's still a GTX 1050 ti I bought three years ago. Still Costs exactly the same, but the only big plus it still has meanwhile is its very low power consumption. Still think about a GTX 1060ish or a cut higher may be the recommended GPU for this game.

Last edited by Sven_; 27/06/20 10:51 PM.
addict
addict
Well there seems to be some interesting architectural changes coming towards the end of the year and I would recommend those looking to upgrade wait until November or so to see what is coming.

I also think 1060 gtx is ambitious for a recommended gfx card, I believe the recommended card for this will be one of the 20xx range ones probably due to ray tracing (can’t remember if RT was confirmed already for BG3)?

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Riandor
Well there seems to be some interesting architectural changes coming towards the end of the year and I would recommend those looking to upgrade wait until November or so to see what is coming.

Will definitely do that as far as the GPU is concerned -- it's but a month until August (BG 3 EA .. maybe) too. laugh Maybe even the GTX 1050 ti will still do a half-decent job on 1080p at least.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sven_
Originally Posted by Riandor

Will definitely do that as far as the GPU is concerned -- it's but a month until August (BG 3 EA .. maybe) too. laugh Maybe even the GTX 1050 ti will still do a half-decent job on 1080p at least.

I hope so that's my card & i'd rather I can play it at an acceptable level & then be happy until it comes to PS5 & then buy one of those rather than spending thousands on a new PC.......but either way this game is a must play !

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarorn
[quote=Sven_]
I hope so that's my card & i'd rather I can play it at an acceptable level & then be happy until it comes to PS5 & then buy one of those rather than spending thousands on a new PC.......but either way this game is a must play !

PC gaming doesn't have to be that expensive. I have a GTX 1050 ti still too, but meanwhile there's cards in the 200 bucks range (even much below) that are a significant upgrade already. My new CPU+motherboard+RAM bundle cost about the same. (I had used the previous one for almost a decade).

I think the GTX 1050 ti may be still fine, just not maxed out for 60 fps or anything. You can still play reasonably taxing games such as Kingdom Come Deliverance on it too, unless you go beyond Full-HD.

Five weeks 'til August, can't be that much longer until they release some specs -- unless the EA is pushed back!

Last edited by Sven_; 30/06/20 09:43 AM.
old hand
old hand
I bought a new computer, Nitro N50-600-NESelecti7RX580 primarily for this game and Wrath of the Righteous. Here are the stats.

Windows 10 home 64 bit
8th Gen Intel Core i7+ processor 8700
AMD Radeon RX 580X 4GB GDDRV
1TB Hard Drive
16GB Optane Memory
8GB DDR4 Memory
DVD Rewritable Drive
Card Drive

Do you folks think this will be good enough to play BG3 and Wrath of the Righteous?

Sven_ Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Some of the many examples that PC gaming doesn't have to be that "expensive" compared to a console:

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/
https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-400/
https://techguided.com/budget-gaming-pcs/

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

Do you folks think this will be good enough to play BG3 and Wrath of the Righteous?

Easily. It's not a video card that supports hardware raytracing though (if that at all will go in optionally for BG3). Speculation thread as to that here: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668972#Post668972

old hand
old hand
Some of the many examples that PC gaming doesn't have to be that "expensive" compared to a console:

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-budget-gaming-pc/
https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-400/
https://techguided.com/budget-gaming-pcs/

Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

Easily. It's not a video card that supports hardware raytracing though (if that at all will go in optionally for BG3). Speculation thread as to that here: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668972#Post668972

Thanks!

addict
addict
Well I gave into temptation & the Nitro laptop with the GTX 1050ti has gone out the window - now I have a 10th Gen i7 intel, 16 gigs ram, RTX 2060 Super with 8 gigs Vram, SSD & a desktop ..now I just need a better monitor & BG3 & I'll be in gaming heaven ....with any luck...

journeyman
journeyman
Nobody?

I'll try (also based on the jump from Divinity OS1 to 2):

Minimum:

Intel Core i3 / AMD Phenom FX series CPU
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 7790
2 GB VRAM
50-60GB HD /SSD space
Windows 7 / 8 / 10 64bit

Recommended:

Intel Core i5 / AMD Ryzen 5 series CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 or ATI Radeon RX 470 or higher
4 GB VRAM
50-60 GB HD / SSD space
Windows 8 or higher 64bit

It think it's unlikely to support Windows 7. That doesn't mean it won't work on 7, but we will have to wait for the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dulany67
It think it's unlikely to support Windows 7. That doesn't mean it won't work on 7, but we will have to wait for the game.

Why? Has it been confirmed as DX12 only for Windows?

Don't forget that it is also a Stadia game, which means it works on Linux using Vulkan. It may even require Vulkan on Windows, unless Larian have said otherwise.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard