Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228978 09/05/04 01:04 AM
ariana Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I installed Beyond Divinity and played once with no problems. Then I tried to play again.

Whenever I click on the shortcut or the exe file I get a "checking disc" message briefly, then a message that the disk key I entered (but I hadn't entered one) is incorrect. I get the option to then enter a disk key but entering the key on my box (a seven digit number - and it doesn't matter whether I prefix it with the letters PC or not) gets the same message that the key is wrong.

Removing the disc and inserting it gets me to the installation option but gives me no option to actually play the game.

All of this is with Disk 1 - disk 2 doesn't seem to do anything.

Help please <whimpers in frustration>

Reality is for those who cannot cope with fantasy. Fortunately, I can cope quite well.
I installed Beyond Divinity and played once with no problems. Then I tried to play again.

Whenever I click on the shortcut or the exe file I get a "checking disc" message briefly, then a message that the disk key I entered (but I hadn't entered one) is incorrect. I get the option to then enter a disk key but entering the key on my box (a seven digit number - and it doesn't matter whether I prefix it with the letters PC or not) gets the same message that the key is wrong.

Removing the disc and inserting it gets me to the installation option but gives me no option to actually play the game.

All of this is with Disk 1 - disk 2 doesn't seem to do anything.

Help please <whimpers in frustration>

You're supposed to have disc 2 in. The "bad key" deal is probably because you have disc 1 in. Now, why disc 2 doesn't "do anything" for you, is another question...

enthusiast
enthusiast
take disc one out. make sure disc 2 is in. that's the problem
at least that is what happened when i experienced it. i installed using 2 cd rom drives, disc 1 in d: and disc 2 in e:

when i went to play it checked d: first, and found it. i got the error. i removed disc 1 and tried again, and played with no problem.

ariana Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for replies.

With disk two in the drive (I only have one CD drive) I get a "checking disk" message. A bar moves maybe 20% of the way across then stops. After a few seconds I am returned to desktop.

It doesn't matter in the least whether I am using the shortcut or clicking on the exe file.

The disc was good enough to install the game and let me play once so I've been assuming the problem isn't a bad disc - cleaning it didn't help.

Any ideas now that the problem is narrowed down to disk 2?

Reality is for those who cannot cope with fantasy. Fortunately, I can cope quite well.
addict
addict
If you haven't already, download the 1.42 patch from http://www.larian.com/riftrunner/support.php

Tovi May Raan refresh you!
With disk two in the drive (I only have one CD drive) I get a "checking disk" message. A bar moves maybe 20% of the way across then stops. After a few seconds I am returned to desktop.

From what you describe, the problem is not coming from copy protection but from the game itself. Maybe you are using settings your graphic card cannot handle, launch the config tool and reset everything to minimal values, then test.

Are you logged as administrator on your computer ? Which OS do you use ? Try as administrator, it sometimes helps.

veteran
veteran
Ariana:
I had the same problem. Reinstalled the game and wiped the folder with the copy protection and the problem went away (it still checks for the disk but now it correctly finds it and loads the game).

Ariana, just a stupid thought => did this procedure in your 1st game maybe caused a registry entry to mess up?

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard