Print Thread
#353873 20/07/08 05:40 PM
R
Riven Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I just started playing this game, and I came across an irritating problem. I went into this cellar in the first town, and in this small room this zombie appears and says that I shouldnt have gone down there, and now I will never leave again. He of course killed me. When I died, I just layed there. I can't figure out what I'm suppose to do when i die to come back. Can you come back to life? Or do you just have to load at the last place you saved?

stranger
stranger
Yes, unfortunately there is nothing you can do once you die except to load from your last save.

The problem i have myself is i either don't save often enough, or sometimes i even save too often and save after I've done something that i want to go back and do differently! So i would recommend saving from time to time and maybe alternating or making new saves as you go. Then once you get far enough you can delete some of the old saves.

The problem i had was i don't like having multiple saves so i just use one main save and have a few key moment saves that are too spread out.

R
Riven Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Wow...that is really stupid. Makes me want to not play it if there is something that utterly stupid in it. Doesn't really seem worth it, does it? I'm already incredibly annoyed, and I've only died a couple times.

Support
Support

Why even have dying in a game if you just pop right back up, with maybe a little gold or experience lost? Respawning tends to make game less challenging and less immersive, IMNSHO.

I made named saves periodically (whenever entering new buildings, using stairs, etc, if I had not otherwise saved recently), and used quicksaves as I was exploring. You can increase the number of quicksaves that the game uses (see the replies in the topic below).

Early Starter Tips (NON-Spoiler Version)

For the zombie Jake, you can use hit and run tactics with a bow (though the cellar is a little cramped). Meteorstrike can be cast repeatedly quite quickly, and has a bit of a stunning effect, so could take care of him relatively easily.
You can defeat Jake once more in Aleroth (check out the graveyard), and a final time elsewhere, after you leave Aleroth.

On level 1, if you defeat Jake once you get enough experience points to reach level 3; defeating him again will bring you up to level 4.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
It would have been better if the game had 'Rebirth' fountains like 'Titan Quest' does, this way it is unnecessary to be constantly saving and loading from the main menu, another improvement would have been regarding the portals not having to be activated by having the correct scroll but just when you step on them, I have come from playing Titan Quest to Divine Divinity and am finding it tough when I see what the developers missed or could have improved when compared to Titan Quest, which is an excellent and beautiful game, however I will give Divine Divinity a go, I hope it grows on me just like Titan Quest did.

addict
addict
Hello. Just my opinion - I don't think the teleporter scrolls and death system in Divinity are something the developers 'missed,' but that they're intentional and actually better choices than what TQ has.

TQ is beautiful, but linear. You march endlessly onward, slaying and slaying. You can't be bothered with searching for scrolls to activate teleporters. DD is all about exploration. Finding the teleporter scrolls is a quest, and it's more rewarding to work for the benefit of using those magical devices.

In TQ you don't worry about how you should approach a situation. You just stride in and kill. You die, you do a bit of walking to catch up, that's all. Your character's life basically has no value, when there's no consequence for dying.

DD makes you take your character's life seriously, because when you die, you die. It makes you cautious about plunging into a group of twenty orcs when there's no coming back.

I don't think it's much of a hassle to save. There's a quick-save function.

Personally, I think a happy compromise here is an auto-save function. That way, if you die, you still lose all your progress since the last save, so you take things seriously, but you're not so harshly punished for getting so caught up in the game that you forget to save.

Not ripping on TQ - I think it's great. But I think you'll find DD is much better. smile

journeyman
journeyman
This argument is absurd. You're bashing the game because you are too lazy or inept to save the game periodically? They even give you two quick save slots! What do you want?

journeyman
journeyman
The first time through can be a pain with dying. The game can lull you to sleep with an hour of easy to medium strength opponenets and then bam - your dead. There are some areas that just need to be left alone till you level up. Course the 1st time through you won't know which places to avoid. Saving every 30 minutes isn't too bad. Anyway without dying the game would be too easy and boring. Once you play through, its fun to see how far you can get the next time before you die. I sometimes just start completely over if I am only level 6 or 7 when I die. After a few starts you know where best to go for faster and safer leveling. Part of the fun and challenge.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Run away and leave the cellar, when you go back in the zombie has gone. to run push the 'R' key on your keyboard

Support
Support

If you run away, you do not get the experience points, though. Not a big deal overall, but at the start of the game that can give a nice boost.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard