Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#354581 08/08/08 04:38 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I was wondering, with DD2 announced. Let's get this forum busy again.

Where are you boardmembers of old? Alrik never left but where's the rest of you?

It's one of these days...
veteran
veteran
Well work is a harsh mistress. but I've been watching the forums, lurking, waiting for my time to strike. rpg005

Beware Morbo's back rpg003

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Morbo #354595 08/08/08 05:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Still here, never left.

Please click the banner...
A
veteran
veteran
A
As long as the German section is here, I'm here, too. wink

I think it was in the recent years the almost only active forum part here - except where people sought help.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
Being at 16000+ posts you must have been very busy compared to the rest. That and have a lot of spare time smile

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Still here, never left... older... no wiser.

veteran
veteran
The big question to me has always been: would the German section even notice if the rest of us all vanished? laugh

A
veteran
veteran
A
Except me, no. laugh wink

Okay, Ragon and Elgi perhaps ... wink

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 09/08/08 07:33 AM.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
U
veteran
veteran
U
Oh, I'm still alive...

Übereil

Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.

Ambrose Bierce
Ubereil #354665 09/08/08 09:57 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I find it a little sad, that the german community, (the gaming community in general, not just this one) tends to alienate them from the rest of the world.

Everything gets localized and many if not most Germans don't interact with members of the international community. Offcourse its understandable that they have trouble with English. But especially on these boards, we don't care if your english is poor. Hey look around there are ppl around here from all over the world from non english speaking countries.

I'm not accusing the German communities, I'm just pointing out its a little sad, they are missing out on the international community, and vice versa, the international community is missing out on imput by the Germans.

U
veteran
veteran
U
I think the thing with the German comunity is that it's so big compared to other local comunities (like the French, Spanish, Swedish etc). They can stay in German comunities (and use their mother tounge) and still get a big imput, allmost like the English comunities. I allso think (but this might be a prejudice, and a prejudice sprung from being from a pretty English friendly country) that Germany is very focused on German as a language. They dub their films/shows etc, so they don't hear/use that much English in their day to day life. This allso makes them more prone towards sticking to the German comunity.

Simply a few thoughs on my side, trying to explain why things are what they are. I do agree with you though, we're both missing out. I wish I'd learned better German in school. frown

Übereil

Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.

Ambrose Bierce
veteran
veteran
Draghermosran...

I'd definitely like to see more of the German boardies in the non-German sections (The ones I DO see all being very cool people smile ) but I guess for some English would be a problem.

They shouldn't worry, though - the Americans get by on limited English, after all! laugh

Ube...

I think a LOT of Germans speak English, and often to a high standard. I think you're right, though, that the German community being as big as it is means they don't really HAVE to interact with the rest of us. Often I'd bet that there are more Germans active here than the rest of us put together...

Last edited by Elliot_Kane; 09/08/08 12:43 PM. Reason: Added response to Ube

A
veteran
veteran
A
There are mainly two or three points :

- the German-language community was the first here, belkieve it or not, right away from the split from Attic.

- some Germans don't know English. Not all, of course, but several.

- English-language forummembers also hardly ever drop into the German-language section.

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
There are mainly two or three points :

- English-language forummembers also hardly ever drop into the German-language section.

If I know german, I would, but English is the most commonly used language, in gaming anyway. (forget about the chinese :p)

You got me thinking tho, I've been here for 7 or 8 years now.

veteran
veteran
Alrik & Dragh...

The main problem with the English language speakers in ANY other language section is that by far most of us (And I definitely include myself in this) only actually speak English with any degree of facility.

Chinese is certainly the most common native tongue (Simply by virtue of the fact they have the rest of us outnumbered smile ) but English is probably the most commonly spoken tongue. As such, English speakers can afford to be (And often are - again I include myself) lazy when it comes to learning other languages.

It also means that the other international members (Who speak a wide variety of native languages, I know) usually have one 'common tongue' - which is English.

Just the way it is, right now smile

veteran
veteran
I'm still here. Do I count as an old geezer?

I read the German forums sometimes, but my German isn't good enough to allow me to actually post.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, you do. laugh

--Dilbert cartoon

veteran
veteran
I think I count...I was around for the old message boards...granted my post count doesn't compare...I prefer the random zinger...more impact.

NeroJB #354761 11/08/08 09:30 AM
veteran
veteran
Tea Leaf!

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Morbo #354780 11/08/08 03:43 PM
old hand
old hand
well, what about some of you german speaking members teach the others some basic german, then they can take over the German Speaking section too laugh .And while they're there, they could teach the German people basic english, so we'll end up with a mixed English-German community. I personally suck at German, I followed lessons this year and it's just not my type of language grin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard