Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
stranger
stranger
I think a port from PC to console would be fine, if it uses Oblivion style gameplay. Something like Over-the-Shoulder or 2nd person view would be really cool. I don't know how you're going to use isometric view with the Oblivion engine(either way, it'd be cool), but not making it for consoles would be a bad decision. Not everyone in the world has $600 plus to make a computer fast enough to run a next-gen game like this. And many people use consoles because of that reason.

You'd be missing out on some big $ if you decide not to make for consoles, and I wouldn't be able to play it. frown lol

I can get behind THAT
Originally Posted by Turok
I just hope they don't limit themselves to make it work in consoles (it mean cut lot stuff, simplified quest system, simplified controls, etc) like most company's this days

Make the game thinking on a pc and not on a console, then make a port to console, not vice verse.

I agree

Last edited by Freaker98; 17/08/08 07:59 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wyrdra
I think a port from PC to console would be fine, if it uses Oblivion style gameplay. Something like Over-the-Shoulder or 2nd person view would be really cool. I don't know how you're going to use isometric view with the Oblivion engine(either way, it'd be cool), but not making it for consoles would be a bad decision. Not everyone in the world has $600 plus to make a computer fast enough to run a next-gen game like this. And many people use consoles because of that reason.

You'd be missing out on some big $ if you decide not to make for consoles, and I wouldn't be able to play it. frown lol

its not just the Oblivion engine, its the Gamebryo engine, the one Oblivion used. Many games have been made on that engine, even isometric rts games. So I don't see why isometric wouldn't be possible. Secondly, its not just the oblivion engine... It's a by Larian heavily modified version of prolly one of the more recent builds of the Gambryo engine that Oblivion uses. Hence, better, more eyecandy and more stable.

Quite frankly I'm getting a bit tired of ppl comparing this game to Oblivion all the time, because the screenshots and the Engine. As the engine is important, Artwork is much more. And there is no doubt on my mind the guys at Larian will outclass Oblivion in that department.

It's one of these days...
You'd be missing out on some big $ if you decide not to make for consoles, and I wouldn't be able to play it.

They'll be missing a lot of $ when they won't release it on multiple platforms. Software piracy kills developers who still release pc-exclusive games these days. Just look at Crysis. Game developers are obligated to release there games on multiple platform, because otherwise their games just won't make enough profit due to illegal downloading and copying.

Last edited by Khamul; 17/08/08 11:16 AM.

E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno
Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Khamul
You'd be missing out on some big $ if you decide not to make for consoles, and I wouldn't be able to play it.

They'll be missing a lot of $ when they won't release it on multiple platforms. Software piracy kills developers who still release pc-exclusive games these days. Just look at Crysis. Game developers are obligated to release there games on multiple platform, because otherwise their games just won't make enough profit due to illegal downloading and copying.

Yeah, illegal copies do make it hard on developers, but keep in mind that a console game is more expensive to develop, and in the case of xbox, for each game sold a part of the winnings go to Microsoft. So If I may guess, winnings per copy is still higher on PC games, but piracy does make it a hard public to make profit upon.

It's one of these days...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Khamul

Crysis sold over a million copies, which is not bad for a very high end game that won't even play on many gamers' systems, I'd say.

I've heard complaints about piracy seriously damaging their sales, but I'm not sure such claims hold up to close scrutiny...

Please click the banner...
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I've seen in this thread about it being playable on an xbox 360. Does that mean this will support a controller of some kind instead of the mouse? Or would I be better off using a mouse if the game was like Sword of Lies where you click and drag stuff?

I don't quite know, but the previews in the German-language tests always used an xbox-like controller, because they didn't have controls for the PC version yet - or so did I understad it.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
*Currently* the PC version supports both PC & Xbox360 interfaces (they are quite different from each other). We still need to figure out if we'll support games for windows and if we do, that means we'll need to ship with controller support (as it's one of the requirements). The press demonstration happened with a 360 controller because we were just in the process of implementing the PC interface. The presentation at Leipzig will be using the PC interface.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by "Lar_q"
We still need to figure out if we'll support games for windows...

And to avoid confusing everyone (like you did me, Lar wink ), 'games for windows' means that specific Microsoft-certification label that comes on game boxes (see this wikipedia link for more info).

"The Large Print giveth, and the Small Print taketh away" - Tom Waits
old hand
old hand
Thanks for the explanation, my heart stopped for a second there laugh

veteran
veteran
Installs and runs properly on x64 versions of Windows Vista and is compatible with 64-bit processors (though the game itself can be 32-bit)

yes PLEASE

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Q
stranger
stranger
Q
Well I trust Larian to make a good RPG so the main question for me remains will the perspective and gameplay be Oblivion like, or will we get a "isometric" view with point and click movement and combat.

I was very pleased to see Diablo III sticking with their original format, and Sacred 2 having it as an option. I very much dislike WASD key movement and close up OTS view.

Will Div2 have easily viewable skill trees? Will you be able to see all the skills from start?
I like when you can see all the avaible skills from start so you can plan how you will be making your character.
I think it worked pretty damn well in Div1 not to be confused with the horror in BD.

old hand
old hand
Right now you can see the entire skill tree from the beginning. We might add a few surprise skills which you discover later on in the game.

Originally Posted by Lar_q
Right now you can see the entire skill tree from the beginning. We might add a few surprise skills which you discover later on in the game.

Sounds good to me smile

veteran
veteran

Coolness. This I definitely like smile

journeyman
journeyman

That's a nice touch, having surprise skills (although they'll be listed quite quickly, so people will be aware of them all the same). What's most important is having a viewable skill tree. Players like to plan their builds and it's nice to see everything in-game rather than having to reference an outside display.

veteran
veteran
As you can transform into a dragon in div2 , I'd like to know a little bit more about the challenges that await you in dragon form. In most fantasy scenarios, dragons are among the most powerful beings. However, becoming more powerful as the game progresses is part of the fun in most RPGs. So will you

- become a young and inexperienced dragon in div2 , only gaining experience and power with time?
- only be able to transform into a dragon towards the end of the game, when you're already quite powerful in human form?
- fight foes that are similarly powerful, like demons, and div2 simply has a "high power level"?
- be confronted with some challenges that cannot be completed by means of fighting, even in the form of a dragon?

Most of the standard starter enemies like animals, goblins and orcs wouldn't be a challenge for a dragon (except maybe in the form of an army), so if you can transform into a dragon early on, you probably face challenges in div2 that are quite different from those in other RPGs?

veteran
veteran
I'm just guessing, but I think space would be a pretty major restriction. Dragons are huge, so wandering into an Orc cave system in draconic form is pretty unlikely, I'd say smile

addict
addict
Either that or I dunno... allow a dragon to shrink or something.

Now it'd be awesome... having a dragon(likely of Western origins, right?).

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard