Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've read a multitude of fantasy books, seen many films, played many fantasy games.

I was wondering what the exact lore was like, its been a while since DD so its a bit a blur.

Anyway, the lore that suited me best was the one were dragons are magical beeings, instead of just monsters. They are polymorphers and the dragon-form isn't their usual "form". In fact for obvious reason they would prefer the human form in many cases. But they can't hide their true nature completely. They eyes for one have an extreme depth and a red (or in this case) a blue gleam. They allways seem to be smoking a cigaret, or in medievel settings a pipe. To cover up they breath out small puffs of smoke.

I hate to think of dragons as just big scary flying firespitting monsters and just you happen to be able to morph into one.

It's one of these days...
addict
addict
Yes, the best treatment of dragons IMO shows them as intelligent and multifaceted magical beings. Speaking about the Divinity universe, we only met one dragon, (Patriarch?) and he was ancient, eloquent, and obviously had loads of wisdom and magical knowledge. As to the dragon riders' mounts, maybe they were lesser dragons or had been enslaved?

We have to wonder if the human to dragon transformation in ED is a one-time freak accident, or if in fact this type of polymorphing is common. The info we've gotten seems to suggest that our hero is not just cursed, but that there might be something in his genes or his very essence that allows him to make this transformation. That is, might he have dragon-blood in his veins already? think

Are the blue eyes related to the dragon abilities? From watching the presentation video, I thought they resulted from a spell that allowed you to see the undead/spirit realm.

addict
addict
The blue eyes are a result of the Dragon Slayer being able to see into the world of the death, not of being a dragon. Lar has said that, but didn't want to explain it.

Dragons are considered evil, so my guess is in Divinity 2 they just are scary flying firespitting monsters smile

Last edited by Myrthos; 29/08/08 10:49 PM.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
If I recall correctly, the Dragons had something to do with the death of the Divine One, and therefore are being hunted by the Dragon Slayers. The Player Character gets 'cursed' and can transform into a Dragon. It's a curse because Dragons are hunted in Rivellon and changing into a dragon where others can see you will make you hated among the population.

As Myrthos said, and as visible in the Leipzig Presentation, the blue eyes are an aspect of the Dragon Slayers. In the video, you can see Lar doing the quest to be able to see ghosts, and a spell is cast upon the player, giving him those special eyes.

Maybe there are multiple types of dragons? The old and wise dragons like the Patriarch from Divine Divinity and the mindless monsters. My general view of dragons is that they start as dumb hatchlings, and as they grow and age, they gain more knowledge and power, so they become ancient and wise dragons.

A
veteran
veteran
A
dragons m,ight have their own ways, too.
Their own cultures, even,
probably even their own dialects of speaking (I could imagine a scene of two not quite understanding one another becauzse they both speak different dialects ! wink )

My bigges fear so far is that gamers might try to exploit the dragons thing.
Because if dragons are seen as the most powerful beings EVAR, and who doesn't wanbt to be the most powerful being EVAR ? wink

In the On The Road again story, I introduced Unicorns as powerful as Dragons - only with the difference that Unicorns are extremely shy ...
So they are not known amnong most of the public, most are even seen as existing only in fairy-tales.
It's a little bit like Yoda living on Dagobah. wink Powerful, but totally hidden and unknown.
Almost even completely separated from the rest of the universe.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 01/09/08 02:21 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
at divinity 1, when you become the divine, you have to meet a dragon, so he could teach you a skill..
that about it, just a black dragon that survived somthing and had a rest in the desert.

i would assume there is no dragon lore. just some beasts that do what they want. and the dragon slayers tend to kill the ones that make a mess.. till they meet a real dragon and die.

divinity 1 had wyrvn riders, evil peeps that hunted the marked ones, and in the desert they acted as plain trash mobs.
i bet that in divinity 2 the dragons will be shrinked into wyrvn size. because in divine 1 the black dragon was hugh.

i also dont like the way the hero turned into half dragon.. it looked like the intro of divinity 1 when the ghost entered the guy.. it's not original any more, for larian, and would seem like the game repeat itself.

addict
addict
From the Gamebanshee interview with Lar:

"And now, in Divinity 2, we’ll learn what Damien did when he got back and how he corrupted the proud race of dragons to kill the Divine one. The latter is immediately the reason why dragons are hated so much in the world of Rivellon and why there are so many dragonslayers."

Bingo! So basically we have dragons as a kind of "fallen race" just as the once-noble orcs were in DD. This could open up all kinds of possibilities for dragon-related quests. Will we possibly encounter noble/uncorrupted dragons? Learn to understand their world of magic and lore? I'm thinking yes.

[Linked Image]

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
you do realize the dragons killed the divine one?
holy crap! forget the dragon slaying, were doomed! DOOMED i say!

A
veteran
veteran
A
Not with enough of Dragon Slayers.

Sounds almost like some kind of civil war.
Against dragons, in this case.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
Yeah, but no Divine One? We're screwed. He was the best hope we had, and he messed everything up and then died! ouch Who's going to stand up to the Lord of Chaos now?
Maybe some dragon-slayer who happens to have an unusual special ability? [Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Let us side with Evil! The Dragons did(the fact that they were tricked is just a detail :p), and aren't the Dragons noble and wise?

*crosses fingers for evil storyline*

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard