Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356521 19/09/08 01:47 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Quite a pointless post but...

The first time I saw the D2 i thought - "Wow! Finally, another game with dragon as the main character". And then I saw the screenshot of the "dragon" - and you know what? Its not a dragon its a wyvern!

Screenshot

What’s the difference and why do I care? Well - I very much like dragons and really appreciate games where you can play as one - because this kind of games are really rare (I remember only quite a few games where you could actually do that). BUT when I say dragon I mean classical western kind of dragons with four legs (or two legs and two limbs/arms) and wings, and not wyverns - two legs and wings. Dragons IMO are much more cool looking critters and they can actually use their front arms/limbs to manipulate objects. Also dragons and wyverns have quite a different symbolic meanings.
Pictures to compare these two:

Dragon (from D&D)

Wyvern

Of course it is not all that important but why not make dragons look like dragons? Yes it sounds stupid and all but I just wanted to rant about this unfairness - the game is about some dude that can shapechange into a dragon and the "dragon" actually turns out to be a wyvern, which is a totally different creature.

I understand that it is already too late, but anyway - Please, developers, maybe you could change that small bit of game and make a dragon look truly dragonish?

P.S.

Anyway, I think this will be a good game no matter what XD

Firronox #356522 19/09/08 01:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, it's actually done on purpose - the dragon you are seeing is the dragon the player shapeshifts into so it retains some the human features (arms become wings, legs remain legs). Real dragons in div2 are the way you describe them (four limbs+2 wings).

Lar_q #356523 19/09/08 02:13 PM
addict
addict
Ah, makes sense! I had noticed in the first Divinity dragons had the typical limb-arrangement, so it's good to know that there's a rationale behind the new one...

flixerflax #356619 22/09/08 09:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Aren't they both in the same family though? Just evolved differently? Like Eagles and Hummingbirds. (both have two legs and two wings, but you see where I'm going). I'm sure a dragon hunter would hunt both.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Yeah, in a sense it does seem like splitting hairs. Not everything runs on D&D rules... wink

flixerflax #356652 24/09/08 06:07 AM
veteran
veteran
It's no so much D&D as mythology. The wyvern is a winged serpent. The dragon is another beast. Several of the depictations of the dragon are drawn with only one pair of legs. Is a wyvern simply a subset of dragon? (And I continue to split hairs... scales. smile )

HandEFood #356671 24/09/08 02:28 PM
addict
addict
Good point. I should have read up on it. Of course, we could use eastern rules and say no wings required at all!

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard