Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kiya Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Raze, sorry to bother you - but the server I hosted kiya's div on is going bankrupt. My domain is sadly paid until Dec 2009, but I doubt, they will be on that long.

To add to my calamity = in Dec 2006 my PC died, all info is lost. My new one has nothing about Div or Divdiv. What to do?

I'd have prefered to do this in private messages, but your limit butted in smile
Kiya

@Kiya,

I really hope that you guys will find a solution - I have countless times benefited from your maps and descriptions - so I keep my fingers crossed.

old hand
old hand
While it's still possible, get all your data from the server smile

Support
Support

Sorry about your computer; I know how that is (the hard drive in my first computer died as I was getting ready to do a long-overdue backup).

I tried a few website downloaders awhile ago to save my PMs, so I would not have to sort through them all or simply delete everything. The program that came closest to working properly has since been updated, but I have not gotten around to trying it again. I checked with UBB.threads, as well; apparently in slightly newer forum software versions you can email PMs to yourself one page at a time (which would loose the index and still be a bit of a pain).

If necessary, the website downloaders I tried should work fine to get everything on your Divinity site (the company should be able to send you any lost passwords, though). I guess what to do after that depends on the size of the site...

Kiya;
If you enable private messages, I can PM you, and you can reply (I can just not receive new PMs). When I tried sending you one, you got dropped from the list of participants (no error message was given).

The Endless;
I sent you a PM to see if I could still send them, and then deleted it; I'm not sure if it will still show up for you.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by The Endless
@Kiya,

I really hope that you guys will find a solution - I have countless times benefited from your maps and descriptions - so I keep my fingers crossed.

The same goes for me. I really hope there is a way to save your website somehow, to find different hosting perhaps.

And Kiya, now that you're back, you won't leave again, will you? wave

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
veteran
veteran
Maybe good news: Yesterday or this early morning I could "mirror" the website von Kiya but I could look if something missing (first sleeping, now working).

Xanlosch's Home - Fortombla hortomosch !
Kein Support via Foren-PM - postet mehr im Forum.
veteran
veteran
Hi Kiya, nice to see you again wave Hope you are doing fine.

It would be a pity to loose all your nice work. If there's somehow a way to save your data/images, I will run your website, it's too precious to let it go.

@Xan: if you have found a way how to download everything, please let me know.

Thank you,
Lynn

veteran
veteran
Lynn, I do post "my way" not in a private message because somebody else could need this information too.

First of all: my way is the Linux way! I searched for a good program / tool to download a whole site without to do a lot. It is not easy but I found one. It is called HTTrack and its works not only on Linux :P It should work on Windows too but I doesn't used it on Windows. Downloading a whole website takes a time (Kiya's page take 24 minutes) because HTTrack works like a web browser but doesn't stress the website server much like other programs / tools.

If hosting is a "problem" I could but the whole site on my webspace too (3 GB space, 100 GB traffic).

old hand
old hand
If you can't connect with FTP, then you still can get the visible stuff with HTTrack.

veteran
veteran
Euhm... that's what Xanlosch was saying, right? delight

Ok, Xan, let me know via email then wink About hosting, it's like you wish. I just wouldn't want that page dying...

Many thanks for your help up

old hand
old hand
Damnit, the page got update while i was surfing a bit around :p

Support
Support

Kiya, I still have access to part of your FTP site from when you setup an account so I could upload fixed saves, etc (before Shaw doubled their webspace per email and increased the number of email addresses per account). I can only see the 'fixsaves' and 'Hackman' folders, plus a bunch of BD screenshots and subfolders. Assuming you can change my access to include DD as well, I can easily get a copy of everything on the DD site. Xanlosch has already used HTTrack to get all the visible stuff, so unless you have things on your site that are not linked to directly or indirectly from your main webpage (ie old or prototype page versions, files linked to in the forum, etc), FTP access may not be needed.

@Raze - your PM did show up on my list.

Support
Support

I tried HTTrack again and got it to download all my PMs, so was able to delete everything in the forum.

Now I can receive messages again. party

If anyone is interested, I needed to log out of the forum, fill in the username / password to log back in, and then use the URL capture function in WinHTTrack before clicking on the button to log in. After logging in again in my browser, I used the URL capture function a second time switching to the 'My Messages' page. In order to keep the program from downloading the forum, going through the user list, etc, you need to setup a Scan Rule to exclude URLs containing 'ubb=' and then after that, setup an include filter for URLs containing 'ubb=viewmessage' (which will get the PM index pages as well as the individual messages). You may want to exclude .zip and .exe files to avoid downloading programs you recommended to others (or vise versa), especially if you check off the option to get non-HTML files related to a link (ie for avatars); you can also set size limits, etc. I set the maximum external depth to zero so the program would not download other webpages, and left the maximum mirroring depth un-set to make sure it went through all the index pages. I think the only other thing I changed from the default was to set the html footer to 'none'.

When the program is done you may have a list of errors (due to broken links from old homepages or avatars, etc). If you leave the Build option set to the default of 'site-structure', you may want to sort through the folder structure WinHTTrack creates and delete any empty folders or those containing just html error messages from an expired avatar or screenshot link. There are also options to store html files in one folder, and all images in a specific subfolder, which may be neater (the way the forum links are done, the html files all get put in the same folder anyway).

veteran
veteran
So,

I backuped Kiyas site on my webspace and the site is accessable under this url: http://www.xanlosch.de/kiyas_crypt/

Please, do not mirror this site (or my whole site) - ask me and I send you a zipped version.

If Kiya do not want this (hosting on my site) - I will remove it.

veteran
veteran
Kiya nice to see you around again! Hope we'll see a bit more of you and you won't run off again!

Hope something get's worked out, it would be a shame for all that hard work to disappear.

addict
addict
Kiya --- you are missed. cry

Xanlosch --- good work saving the site. laugh

kiya Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi, all - thank you for the support - and you have my permission, Xan/Raze/anyone wanting to preserve. Raze, I can't even access lycos admin anymore, I forgot all my passwords. After Xmas I have holidays, so can try to get into the dark materia again *blush*.

Lycos will close within the first quartal 2009 - so far, I have no other info. Trouble is - my new PC has nothing... literally nothing installed on it = no graphic program, file uploading etc. So, I need to delve into my old books and dive into all my boxes, cupboards etc in search of my lost knowledge; including passwords.

Should lycos succeed in finding a partner to take all the hosting members = I am not even sure how that will work. Do I need to download and then upload - do I need to change all links within the site etc. Atm I even doubt anyone is willing to take us refugees up, as Lycos made over 17 mio debts within 9 months this year.

Will keep you updated smile
Kiya

Support
Support

Does Lycos have a webpage to log in to your account? If so they should have an automated feature to email you your password (though that may not help if you don't still have access to the email account they have for you). An email to Lycos' support may also help, though they may be slow or unresponsive under the circumstances.

If you email/PM me I can give you the info I have for your FTP site. That may aid in getting full access back.

Some FTP sites and programs support transferring files directly between sites. If either Lycos or a new web host do not support this, you would need to download everything first and then upload it to the new site. There are programs that can adjust links, etc, if required (your HTML editor probably used relative links, though, so there should not be a lot of adjusting required). If Lycos finds another company to take over webhosting fully, the transfer could be done by them directly, so you could just need to fix the odd thing (like non-relative links and any listed email address).

veteran
veteran
My Counter Strike Clan uses WS_FTP ( http://www.ipswitch.com/ ) to send each other movies, music, and games. I believe that you should be able to use it, or a similar program, to automatically download all the information from your website and store in on your computer, maybe even loading it up again to a new website. Not sure what all the program does, but if it does actually work like that ( I'm pretty bad with computers so not entirely sure, Raze do you know if it can do that? ) I can send you the full professional version of it.

If not, and you need a place to keep it all, I can open up 500 different freeweb accounts and transfer the information there! Yeah okay I'm useless I know lol.

Still, glad to see you're still alive and I hope you're doing well Kiya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard