Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Foetsy #360350 04/03/09 01:12 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Foetsy
Learning one common language (say Esperanto) doesn't mean you'll lose the motherlanguage. Welsh nearly died out 30 years ago, because everyone began to speak English. Now Welsh is back as the motherlanguage (and they still speak English too).
Actually, it does. I'm sure that, if nobody took upon themselves the task to champion the rediscovery of Welsh language, it would have eventually died out. I see it enough here. It's alarming how fast certain dialects disappear. Generally that is the consequence of having to do everything in another language. If everyone here had to do all official communication in English, unofficial would soon follow and the language would slowly but surely, die.

At this point, I think we're not doing enough to preserve our cultural diversity, and while I applaud those who would simplify communication, I must also insist that we not forget who we are and where we come from. Perhaps there is a middle ground, where the mother tongue could be combined with a universal language, but that would probably mean an autonomy of lingual entities instead of the current nations, which is rather impossible at this time. It's so strange that there are three languages in Belgium. adding a universal tongue which everyone is required to know, on top of that, is just silly talk. So you would first have to divide those lingual subnations - which is proving to be far more difficult than suspected.

veteran
veteran
Euhm... we are going off topic now, could you please continue this discussion in the General Chat board please?

thankyou

journeyman
journeyman
continued in general chat: link

Last edited by Foetsy; 05/03/09 06:55 AM.
Foetsy #360452 07/03/09 07:16 PM
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Out of curiosity, how much money Divinity 2 PC version did cost you so far and how much more are you going to spend till the release date?
Can you give an estimated guess, how many units you need to sell, for PC version only, to pay up the cost of game development

drazac #360460 07/03/09 11:25 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Are there Unicorns in the game ??? smile

(And I don't mean as enemies ...)

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
unicorns would be cool but have a limited use, you could only ride them if you are a virgin

so anywhere you would go people would point and laugh at you

Virc #360493 09/03/09 12:04 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
unicorns haven't always been gentle creatures of the forest, you know...

old hand
old hand
That's true smile :
unicorns

A
veteran
veteran
A
Well, in my world they are. wink

And, by the way, there is no need to ride them ... wink

I rather see them as strong creatures with their own free will - very similar to what people usually think of Dragons.

In my own fantasy world, Unicorns are very similar in terms of life-spand and wisdom and powers to Dragons. With the only exception that Unicorns cannot fly and are therefore earth-bound.

In the multi-author-story "On the road again" of the German-language community here, I let one Unicorn drastically heal a horse, which is from then on travelling with it, because of something Star Wars fans would call a "life det", but in my invention it is rather some kind of IOU.

I wrote "drastically", because this horse needed very strong magic to be healed. In fact, part of the horse kind of consists or is constantly held together by pure magic the Unicorn used. At least, until the destroyed body is reasabled again. Wounds and bones need some time to heal naturally. Therefore, the body was held to gether by the Unicorn's strong magic, kind of a mixture between a broken arm in plaster and a kind of "cyborg" held together by magic (you can see a kind of opposite to that in Darth Sion of KOTOR2). But when all bones and the flesh is healed, the magic will disappear, because there is no need/use for it anymore. But until the body is fully healed, the horse is in part held together by the Unicorn's Magic.

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 09/03/09 10:09 PM.

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Well there is a pretty well known book trilogy where the main character is a unicorn but i never got into it. I mean its a bloody story about horses, i kept thinking i needed some french fries and Bearnaise sauce.

Virc #360525 10/03/09 10:59 AM
@ Alrik,

Are any of your storys online in english?

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
1) In combat gameplay video presentation that took place at GDC, i've noticed there is no "player based aiming" when using bows, instead its auto aiming. Is that true?

2) How many enemies we will face on screen... will it be like hordes in Diablo 2 of 20+ monsters, or maybe like the group of 5-6 monsters like in The Witcher... or something in between?

Last edited by drazac; 10/03/09 08:29 PM.
old hand
old hand
Seems like Devs are busy...
Where are you Dev's I've posted a couple questions that I need answering please:)
I think they're on Pge 4/5 If you want me to post them here just post here and I will.

I seriously can not wait I hope they announce a Official date all we is Summer *June Hint Hint*

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by The Endless
@ Alrik,

Are any of your storys online in english?

I think I translated a few. Look into the "RPG Chat (English) section of this forum (the secion has several pages).

--Dilbert cartoon

Virc #360549 10/03/09 09:53 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Virc
Well there is a pretty well known book trilogy where the main character is a unicorn but i never got into it. I mean its a bloody story about horses, i kept thinking i needed some french fries and Bearnaise sauce.

Try "Night Mare" by Piers Anthony, it's quite funny, imho. wink

--Dilbert cartoon

I was thinking the firebringer trilogy http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/meredith-ann-pierce/

and yes Pierce Anthony is funny but i dont remember reading Night Mare , just his Xanth series will keep you busy for a while and is also his best known work

btw if you like Pierce Anthony it might be worth checking out Robert Asprin, especially his MYTH series http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/robert-asprin/

Virc #360563 11/03/09 11:52 AM
veteran
veteran
Night Mare is part of the Xanth series smile I have all the early Xanth novels. I think Piers kinda lost the plot about a dozen books in, though, so I haven't read the later novels in the series.

Robert Asprin is indeed awesome. His MYTH series is great, though his troubles with the tax people have made for some problems.

Last edited by Elliot_Kane; 11/03/09 11:53 AM.

Please click the banner...
A
veteran
veteran
A
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

My biggest wish is to be able to write some fantasy novels, too. but I just lack two things:

- energy
- ability to develop a good plot

Therefore I can do nothing but write short stories.

--Dilbert cartoon

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I feel your pain. I never got past 50 pages, and eventually stopped trying.

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Short stories are an art in itself.

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard