Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#361788 14/04/09 02:47 PM
RyuRanX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know Divinity 2 is using PhysX, so can we have cloaks and capes using Cloth Physics? It would be awesome, and no single-player RPG has this feature yet, not even static capes.

Since Warcraft III opening I dream of having a hero using a cape that moves with the wind, but no developer made this dream come true laugh

Last edited by RyuRanX; 14/04/09 02:50 PM.

Playing RPGs since Akalabeth.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd love this as well, but as it's a clipping nightmare, it's probably pretty hard to do.. We want that, but we want to see weapons sheathed and bows/shields slung on our backs, so I think it's one of those things that get dubbed "impractical" early on... though I definitely agree with your sentiment. It'd be lovely to have.

I remember the original NWN having a mod that put them in.. they weren't great, but they were nice..

apprentice
apprentice
We tried working with PhysX-moving cloth in the game, but the framerate suffered tremendously. Don't forget that physics does not yet have its own separate processing unit, so it all needs to be calculated on the main CPU, taking precious cycles away for things like AI, data streaming, sound processing, etc... And moving cloth is very heavy on the calculations, especially if it needs to interact with other items in the world (e.g. walking under a flag to make it move).

I know moving cloth has been done in other games, but as far as I know only in very small areas where not much processing power is needed for anything else (like, for example, the curtain in the confession booth somewhere at the beginning of Hitman 2 -- a very small indoor region with no enemies present).

Physics is not as lucky as graphics or sound yet, in that it can't benefit from a dedicated processor (like the GPU on a graphics card). But we have something to look forward to: in DirectX 11, future games will be able to do physics processing (among other things) on the GPU as well, thanks to the gpgpu framework.

But don't worry, though: we decided to use PhysX in other, more interesting and useful ways in the game wink

"The Large Print giveth, and the Small Print taketh away" - Tom Waits
Sektor #361941 19/04/09 12:24 AM
RyuRanX Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the reply, maybe we can see those cloth effects on Divinity 3. Divinity 2 will be awesome anyway laugh

Playing RPGs since Akalabeth.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard