Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Publisher CDV promised an announcement of a new action-RPG during PAX 2009 and they didn't dissapoint. The company revealed at their booth that they have signed on to publish the US version of Divinity 2, the sequel to the acclaimed fantasy game Divine Divinity from developer Larian Studios.

The game will be coming out to both the PC and Xbox 360 in the US sometime in December and while Divinity 2 has been released in Germany since July we were told the US version will have a number of gameplay improvements and features that didn't make it into the German version. We will have more info on Divinity 2 from PAX later this weekend.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/09/04/pax-2009-divinity-2-coming-to-the-us-in-december/

December.
Seems like a Christmas Present for me wink
At least we have one Publisher.

Any news on uk?
Not heard anything only heard about US frown

journeyman
journeyman
Unfortunate. ouch cdv is the one publisher on my no-buy list. Yet another highly anticipated game for me brought down by using cdv (the other was Sacred2). Oh well, guess I'll have more time for other things. frown

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
How is it brought down?

Support
Support

Apparently having CDV associated with the game makes it untouchable (Equisilus mentioned in an earlier topic he would not order a UK version of the game if the North American publisher was on his boycott list).

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I still don't get what he means by untouchable.
Excuse me for my zero interlligance.

Support
Support

Actually 'untouchable' was my description. He mentioned in a previous topic he was boycotting a particular publisher, and would not buy the game if they were the North American publisher. At the time he did not mention which publisher it was, and didn't go into any detail (that I saw) about whatever experience triggered his boycott.

journeyman
journeyman
Dont know why some ppl dont like CDV, but honestly I would buy this game from the devil, if its made by larian. Couldnt care less who is distributing it as long as it comes to my hands as larian made it.

Now i'm just curious if an European publisher will come sooner than december.

Last edited by Adomingues; 06/09/09 06:10 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Adomingues
Dont know why some ppl dont like CDV, but honestly I would buy this game from the devil, if its made by larian. Couldnt care less who is distributing it as long as it comes to my hands as larian made it.

Now i'm just curious if an European publisher will come sooner than december.

Doubt it.
Maybe a couple days after or before or similtanious release.
I'm sure Larian wan't it so. Europeon Fans and US Fans can enjoy the game at the same time.

A
veteran
veteran
A
CDV changed the title into "Divine Divinity", originally.

I fear that Larian must be very desperate to get a publisher if they chose to cooperate with the devil, so to say.

Maybe too much demand from the fan's side ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
CDV changed the title into "Divine Divinity", originally.

I fear that Larian must be very desperate to get a publisher if they chose to cooperate with the devil, so to say.

Maybe too much demand from the fan's side ?

Times are diferent now. the Divinity "franchise" is on a whole new level from 7 years ago, perhaps it was larian that this time made demands instead of CDV, who knows?

I trust larian completely in the fact that they want the absolute best for them, and if CDV is that, then so be it...

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Equisilus
Unfortunate. ouch cdv is the one publisher on my no-buy list. Yet another highly anticipated game for me brought down by using cdv (the other was Sacred2). Oh well, guess I'll have more time for other things. frown

You hurt Larian more than CDV by doing this.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LightningLockey

It's quite possible. However, there is no other way to express my displeasure with cdv other than to not buy games published by them, since that is the only service they offer. I've often commented that I believe most gamers are all talk when it comes to "boycotting", so I have to walk the walk, so to speak. I've nothing against Larian, as they've been a fine company, both in terms of what they've offered in enjoyment in the past and in how they interacted with customers.

I'm only one person. Companies that treat me well earn my loyalty. Companies that don't, don't. Fortunately, I'm rather stubborn and cdv has done nothing to bring me back. So there you have it.

I'm still going to follow the game and Larian, since I've been doing so for so long, and hope for the best.

Support
Support

I can not see where CDV is even going to notice the loss if you don't buy the game. IMO it would be better to import it, and contact CDV to explain why you would not buy it from them. Telling them you are not going to buy it at all might help, but may not get taken seriously (as you noted, talk is cheap, though an actual letter should get much more respect than an email).

I know someone who always leaves a tip in restaurants. If they get bad service and do not leave a tip, then the server doesn't necessarily know that they lost out because of anything they did or didn't do, since some people just don't tip. Instead, they will leave a nickel, so the server knows the value placed on their service (and it is less confrontational than demanding to see the manager, or something).

In any case, you could try contacting CDV and ask if they plan on changing whatever behaviour or policies are in question before December, because you will not buy a game they publish as they currently act or conduct business, but had been looking forward to one that is to be released then.

addict
addict
Are we re-naming it "Divine Divinity II: Divine Ego Draconis Divinity" ?

What were the gripes with CDV and the first game?

Rushing the game so we get a sparse and boring final act.
Giving the game a ridiculous stupid name.

Whatever. Doesn't change my intent to buy the game.

flixerflax #383523 07/09/09 04:50 AM
veteran
veteran
Not keen that cdv is the publisher.

What draconian copy protection will they use now. (Can I just send the receipt of purchase to larian and have a copy with a "normal" copy protection). Thank god that starforce is out of business!. But knowing CDV they will screw this up.

Does this mean that D2 will go up against Bioware in the holiday season.

Last edited by Morbo; 07/09/09 04:53 AM.

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
Morbo #383525 07/09/09 06:04 AM
addict
addict
Can I just send the receipt of purchase to larian and have a copy with a "normal" copy protection

I think most people would rather go through that than deal with DRM.

Does this mean that D2 will go up against Bioware in the holiday season.

Looks like it, with DA:O slated for November.

journeyman
journeyman

It's quite possible. However, there is no other way to express my displeasure with cdv other than to not buy games published by them, since that is the only service they offer. I've often commented that I believe most gamers are all talk when it comes to "boycotting", so I have to walk the walk, so to speak. I've nothing against Larian, as they've been a fine company, both in terms of what they've offered in enjoyment in the past and in how they interacted with customers.

I'm only one person. Companies that treat me well earn my loyalty. Companies that don't, don't. Fortunately, I'm rather stubborn and cdv has done nothing to bring me back. So there you have it.

I'm still going to follow the game and Larian, since I've been doing so for so long, and hope for the best.

You can always get a 2nd hand original from an e-bayer. A few weeks after people end the game, they sometimes sell it on e-bay. That way you are not giving any money to CDV, if that's your major problem.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
2nd Hand Equals no money to Larian.
Just import If you feel that strongly about not giving money to CDV.
Even though I dont see why...

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

Maybe a couple days after or before or similtanious release.
I'm sure Larian wan't it so. Europeon Fans and US Fans can enjoy the game at the same time.

I think, you are right for the date.
But it's not a Larian responsability.

French store have cancelled pre-order.

Some people are quite furious and larian guy has spoken on the french board.

He is sad for the leak of communication about release date, but larian can do nothing. Because only the publisher can make a decision about releasing.

It's in the contract.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L

How about get the German version of the game? That way, you can both support Larian and give the finger to CDV? wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard