Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Originally Posted by aarne
ENGLISH SUCKS, lets start learning latin and be the first ones who make game on latin, for the world to understand how beautiful that language is laugh!!!!

Even though it's been a dead language so long we don't even know how to pronounce it like they did? :hihi:

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

And THIS is the reason why I find it so disturbing that Belgian people seemingly do *not* want games in their own languages !

This is, in my opinion, partly to be attributed to the pronunciation of Dutch - you can't be talking about French or German here, since Divinity 2 is (I believe) (to be) released in those languages. First, 'Dutch' Dutch sounds too harsh for (many) Flemish ears; we are in the unenviable position of having to share our language with another people. Second, and perhaps more true, Flemish dialects or standard Flemish (if there is such a thing) in all media have a tendency to sound too artificial - with some notable exceptions (e.g. the recent Van Vlees en Bloed). It seems that we just don't want (or have been taught not) to brought into the presence of an absent entity - we need the barrier of language.

A generation [...] now stood under the open sky in a countryside in which nothing remained unchanged but the clouds, and beneath these clouds, in a field of force of destrutive torrents and explosions, was the tiny, fragile human body.(Walter Benjamin)
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with Melchett.. And yes, I also believe that it is taught behaviour. Flemish citizens lack national pride - mostly because media and government associate Flemish national pride with racism and fascism. Which is, of course, logically, completely misguided, but historically and associatively a logical idea (if that makes sense, heh)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Melchett
First, 'Dutch' Dutch sounds too harsh for (many) Flemish ears

Obviously, this also goes the other way around wink (with most Dutch people, not with me).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard