Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hi, I'm running windows xp with 1 GB of ram and a decent processor. I have patch 0.34 installed. I have webroot running as well as bittorrent but it didn't seem to matter because the game ran fine when i played for a couple hours. I restarted my computer and booted up DD and I experienced significant slowdown during gameplay. I tried switching to Directdraw but that didn't help. I don't get it, I know my PC can handle this game with relative ease. And it's a sweet game. Any help would be much appreciated. -Dave

Support
Support

Are the showdowns happening in areas that were fine before, or just new areas? If you are moving into areas with a large number of NPCs or trees (etc) onscreen, that could account for relatively minor, temporary slowdowns.

Try shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game, even if it did run fine the first time without doing so.
Could there have been extra program starting up after you rebooted, or a scheduled backup or virus scan, or something?

Did you try changing the game resolution, to see if that made a difference?

Troubleshooting Tips (& manual install procedure)

addict
addict
Guess out of left-field, but might your video card be overheating after several hours pf playing?

P
stranger
stranger
P
I too am having the same problem as well. DD ran fine the first time and now the second time things are so choppy that the character walks in spurts and mouse cursor hangs. Here's my HW/SW specs:

DD: Latest version from GOG
OS: Windows 7 Pro with all patches installed (Apple Boot Camp)
HW: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz w/ 3 GB RAM, ATI X1600 w/ 128 MB VRAM

I've confirmed that I'm running the latest video driver from ATI, have turned off my antivirus scanner, tried setting the game processor to use a single processor core (via CPU affinity), tried dropping down resolution to 640 x 4xx, turned off all sound, turned off all video options, turned off smoothness, etc.

What's really odd here is that this is a brand new Windows 7 build with nothing on it other than DD (typically I'm booted into Mac OS X). This weekend I booted into Windows 7, bought and downloaded DD from GOG, and have been back in Mac OS X for the last couple of days. Tonight I booted back to Windows 7 to play DD and it's completely unplayable. =(

Any thoughts or ideas on getting DD going again?

Thanks,

Patrick

Support
Support

You could try doing a clean re-install of the game, to see if it is a problem with the game itself between the first and second times running, or if there was some change in the system. You can backup you saves first to be safe (zip or copy the savegames folder), but the uninstall program should ask you if you want to keep your saves.

I assume you already checked that search indexing, etc, was disabled?

Did you fire up the game right away the second time you tried it? Windows may have delayed the loading of some startup processes, though I don't imagine there would be a lot of them in a clean install slow enough loading to interfere with the game.

think ...

P
stranger
stranger
P
Well, this weekend I tried reinstalling, turning off my antivirus, firewall, and trying to watch what was going on in Task Manager and new Performance Manager in Windows 7. In the end the problem was resolved by turning OFF compatibility mode in Windows 7. As soon as I did that, everything ran 1000% better and was completely playable. Wahoo! The only thing that is set specifically for Windows 7 is "Run this program as an administrator". Hope this helps other and thanks Raze for the suggestions.

Patrick

Support
Support

Thanks for the update.

A belated welcome to the forum. wave

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard