Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
old hand
old hand
Destruction increases the damage output of your magical attacks, so I think it's a must to have... but I think it's most important if you rely on fireball/firewall only for magic.

Nightbringer set is good, but Ufthing's armour is much better because of the many stat boosts + charm/enchantment possibilities it gives.

Your mage has strength 1... but then how did you manage to survive the fight with Stone... and how did you manage to kill Raze without a high level magic blast/fireball/firewall? You need to kill him very quickly and magic missile just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by virumor; 02/11/09 03:18 AM.
addict
addict
Who the hell is stone and raze

Raze-Razakel

So if you mean Razakel he is cake for spamming magic missiles

Last edited by Raven.rpg; 02/11/09 01:08 PM.

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
old hand
old hand
Trust me, at least a level 10 firewall is a must near the end of the game.

The great thing about fireball is that it does huge damage and has an area effect too. Nothing save bosses survives a fireball + firewall... but bosses are easily defeated by first using a high level magic blast.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by virumor
Trust me, at least a level 10 firewall is a must near the end of the game.

The great thing about fireball is that it does huge damage and has an area effect too. Nothing save bosses survives a fireball + firewall... but bosses are easily defeated by first using a high level magic blast.

No problem
I will max firewall and yes I know
Magic blast is overpowered

From my experience I liked the Explosive arrow and fireball most, since they AE both of them and many groups are clustered and just firewall when the melee ones come running towards you if your damage isnt high enough to kill the whole pack by fireball, explosive arrow combo, even magic missles and the multi arrow also help on AE'ing packs down and again if you use all ae skills and firewall on the melee ones coming in, it eases up the game by a whole lot. just magic blast on bosses wink and poison arrow and run run run wink

Don't play when you have a mushroom phobia! o.O xD
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Ok... So you guys are talking about mages and warriors now, what about the ranger?
I'm lvl 6 atm and haven't invested heavily in stats and absolutly no skills yet until I know what I'm doing.
Should I swap my ranged skills for magical ones and do melee up close then?

addict
addict
Poison arrow
Explosive arrow
Evade
Ranger strength

old hand
old hand
I'd avoid poison arrow and use stun arrow instead.

Splitting arrows is must have in the beginning for use against mobs, later on replace it with Exploding arrows.

Passive skills I'd certainly use : Evade, Regenerate and maybe Reflect.

I haven't played as a ranger myself yet, though, that's for my next playthrough... in my opinion warrior is the most boring class to play. Destroying entire groups of enemies from afar is much more fun instead of playing whack-a-mole.

Last edited by virumor; 04/11/09 12:25 AM.
stranger
stranger
after i got the battle tower i changed to ranger, and i'm loving it. i increased the max skill of exploding arrow/ ranger strength and maxed those and that rager stance. my exploding arrow sometimes crits for over 3000 damage, one shotting entire groups. although these high crits are rare they're awesome laugh

i've just collected the entire ranger set but becouse i played warrior at start my dex is to low to equip everything (though i havn't charmed everything yet). might try mage later

old hand
old hand
A maxed out fireball with destruction does a guaranteed 3000 damage over 8 m. Maxed magic blast with destruction is insane with a guaranteed 5000 damage. Ideal against bosses.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by virumor
A maxed out fireball with destruction does a guaranteed 3000 damage over 8 m. Maxed magic blast with destruction is insane with a guaranteed 5000 damage. Ideal against bosses.

hmmmm
really

fireball-3000 damage

old hand
old hand
Level 13 fireball, yes.

stranger
stranger
I play a ranger myself.

I find the Way of the Ranger skill combined with Ranger Strength, Splitting Arrows and Exploding arrows pretty good. Summon something to keep the enemy distracted and you're golden.
Combined with a good Magic Armour Rating, I've cut through multiple mobs without so much as a scratch on me.

stranger
stranger
As much as its not necessarily optimal, I'd like to throw a little credit to the "monk" style of play. I like to play "themed" characters when I can in rpgs, and I decided to invest in "unarmed" skill, I think that it is extremely underrated as "useless" its at least better than 1 hand sword. The percentages are beastly, and just leveling increases base damage. I also found out, you can were a shield, on your back, while being "unarmed". All I've seen is that the skill is just "useless" never any evidence why, sure, you don't get charm slots for it, and i don't know what the last rank % bonus is. but I'd like to see some evidence to why its disregarded. As previously mentioned the fast attack speed does not lend itself to skill attacks, which is why I've been taking advantage of passive warrior skills and buffs and the "priest" tree, eg; summon/mastery.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Krinje
As much as its not necessarily optimal, I'd like to throw a little credit to the "monk" style of play. I like to play "themed" characters when I can in rpgs, and I decided to invest in "unarmed" skill, I think that it is extremely underrated as "useless" its at least better than 1 hand sword. The percentages are beastly, and just leveling increases base damage. I also found out, you can were a shield, on your back, while being "unarmed". All I've seen is that the skill is just "useless" never any evidence why, sure, you don't get charm slots for it, and i don't know what the last rank % bonus is. but I'd like to see some evidence to why its disregarded. As previously mentioned the fast attack speed does not lend itself to skill attacks, which is why I've been taking advantage of passive warrior skills and buffs and the "priest" tree, eg; summon/mastery.

I like monk style too
I always take unarmed,thousand cuts(cool),fatality,attact that increase your critical chance,evade,jump attack and regenerate

stranger
stranger
It also seems that +melee damage charms are much more effective with a fast weapon, such is a trade off of not having hard(er than they could be (2handers)) hitting skills, is that that melee damage from the charm gets multiplied by un-armed skill MUCH more, AND those multiplicative are again multiplied by the fast attack speed from unarmed. just from dabbling so far, unarmed is FAR from useless, I outclass most 2handers I find my level, damage per swing, not even dps.

I'm sort of new to this game, but once I can get some math on it, I will.

stranger
stranger
I am a dual-wielder
I got high Vitalit and Strength
any chance that i'll survive most dungeons and bosses?

old hand
old hand
Sure, but you'll have to be careful against groups of mages or rangers. Doesn't hurt to invest in some ranged skills.

stranger
stranger
I'm a lv18 with about 20 skillpoints left and 44 stat points :p (yeah i suck at deciding what to do xD)

for fun i went with magic, just a bit of fireball, destruction, magic blast and firewall... and wow..
is magic really that powerfull? XD.. i planned on going melee but killing everything that fast is just sweet :P
For melee i wanted to go with thousand strikes.. yet that mana cost blows :P

(if going magic would be viable, can i let hermosa live or should i get kenneth instead?)

addict
addict
I am magic user and hermosa for me
try magic missiles

Last edited by Raven.rpg; 07/11/09 06:45 PM.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard