Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
apprentice
apprentice
I've only just began playing in between Dragon Age sessions. (Divinity 2 has such a pleasant 'looser' atmosphere)
The INT for Warrior is so... odd Oo;
I was actually wondering what the best way was to distribute attributepoints for a warrior archetype.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Darthvegeta800
I've only just began playing in between Dragon Age sessions. (Divinity 2 has such a pleasant 'looser' atmosphere)
The INT for Warrior is so... odd Oo;
I was actually wondering what the best way was to distribute attributepoints for a warrior archetype.

Well the int is actually for mp regen purpose, since there no skill to fasten the regen beside recovering using potion, and for magical defense as well. Unless you choose to use weapons that are focus more on magical damage over melee damage, then int will be more useful in that case for warrior, since weapon in the game comes with melee and magical damage.

S
stranger
stranger
S
So - what about magic damage on weapons?:

melee and magic damage on one weapon.

Melee damage is of course how hard the weapon hits and object. melee damage 0-1 obviously is a poor choice if you want to inflict basic melee damage to a target.

What about the magic damage component? Is that the damage you do when using a magic "spell" of warrior and ranger [whirlwind for warrior, stun arrows for ranger, etc]? Or will the amount of magic damage on the weapon add to the damage a spell inflicts [ie: magic missile]? So let's say I equip a bow with 12-20 melee damage, 6-9 magic damage. If I fire the bow [mouse left click], it will inflict 12-20 dmg per hit. But if I use "stun arrow" - will it stun the target and do 6-9 damage? Or if I cast magic missile - will the missile do an additional 6-9 dmg per hit?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sirus
So - what about magic damage on weapons?:

melee and magic damage on one weapon.

Melee damage is of course how hard the weapon hits and object. melee damage 0-1 obviously is a poor choice if you want to inflict basic melee damage to a target.

What about the magic damage component? Is that the damage you do when using a magic "spell" of warrior and ranger [whirlwind for warrior, stun arrows for ranger, etc]? Or will the amount of magic damage on the weapon add to the damage a spell inflicts [ie: magic missile]? So let's say I equip a bow with 12-20 melee damage, 6-9 magic damage. If I fire the bow [mouse left click], it will inflict 12-20 dmg per hit. But if I use "stun arrow" - will it stun the target and do 6-9 damage? Or if I cast magic missile - will the missile do an additional 6-9 dmg per hit?

Magic damage from what I know, its just another form of damage which similar to melee damage. If I not mistake, spell dont build up by weapon's damage, but by its rank level and character int.

Basically you can compare weapons which had similar level but with different damage type, ie
1. lvl10 sword with just melee damage 20-50
2. lvl10 sword with melee damage 15-30, magic damage 5-20
3. lvl10 sword with melee damage 5-10, magic damage 15-40

And by summing up the total damage, basically all 3 having bout the same weapon damage. Its more like making it convenient even for mage to go for melee battle with normal weapons, since there no wand/staff type weapon in the game. In the end, its just depends on which stats you invest more on to decide which type of weapon you go for, melee or magical damage. That how its work from what I see it.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I have been reading the boards for a bit, especially this thread. I normally play a ranged bow type of class in most RPGs. So I went ahead and did it with this one. For a bit I had a hard time. Had to get used to the way combat works in this game. However now, in my mid 20's, I am finding it is very nice. At times a single shot of exploding arrow kills everything. I invested points into summon demon as well as the skill where you have a chance to get health back from an attack. I find that now, I barely ever use potions at all. When I do not kill before they get to me, I switch to two one handed weapons and easily keep my health coming back to me against multiple mobs while casters are hitting me with magic. I absolutely love this game. My stat spread is between Dex/Int combo with Str next and then Vit and Spirit. Most of my armor ratings against damage types are in the mid 30's and my defenses for the most part are in the mid 40's. I am using right now the ultimate good bow without anything added to it and my usual damage is in the 100's with my exploding arrow in the 500+ range.

old hand
old hand
Things will usually goes easier, after you able able to expand your skill level beyond level 5. This is the time when majority will start altering their gears according to needs.

I have been using the little tool in in the character customization area that shows what skills are increased buy using a specific piece of armour or weapon...So far I have been a sword/sheild warrior because my stats always look better that way than using a two-handed weapon except for raw damage....

5/5 Whirlwind, 5/5 Sword/Shield Expertise, 5/5 Lockpicking,2/5 Mindreading,and 2/5 in the Warrior skill Bleeding (or whatever its called......

I have 8 pts in Dex / 12 Int / 6 Spi...and the rest in Strength and Vitality....HP is is at about 350and MP is about 240....I am lvl 15 ATM and am almost at the point in Maxos temple where I fight Amadusius. Am I going wrong here cuz things seem to be going pretty well so far?.....

Last edited by LordFess; 07/01/10 12:54 AM.

"He Who Lives By The Sword Shall Also Perish By The Sword."
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
ur doing fine just forgott aboute any % chance to give back damage or this skill who make enemys take damage based on amount of damage they id to u becosue laten in game they will make 0 damage and 90% of 0 is 0

train killing blow or whatever this skill got name in english is best skill in whole game becouse u can got 0 str and make 2 k damage with weapon to any damage near one u killing blowing becouse is game bug and if your killing blow is 40% of enemy hp and enemy got 1 k hp u make 400 damage to him and to any other mob who is on atack line so if u make damage to mob with 10 k hp u can make 4 k damage o0 works nice with 2 h sword u can use it as aoe with 5 s recast

dont put points in vit is useless train int instead
also dont put points in wisdom is another useles with 1` point in mana drain u can spamm any skill and got full mana all the time mind read every one posible u got alot of skill points and sometimes ability points and loose in exp is not important sience from lvl 30 u got simply god mode and there is few spots in game when u can respawn mobs forever

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by marcusdavidus

train killing blow or whatever this skill got name in english is best skill in whole game becouse u can got 0 str and make 2 k damage with weapon to any damage near one u killing blowing becouse is game bug and if your killing blow is 40% of enemy hp and enemy got 1 k hp u make 400 damage to him and to any other mob who is on atack line so if u make damage to mob with 10 k hp u can make 4 k damage o0 works nice with 2 h sword u can use it as aoe with 5 s recast

That skill is call fatality and its not bug, at least not in my game. It only can be use when your target hp match your skill requirement, eg if skill only affect target with hp lesser than 40%, any single target will instant die when you use the skill on that target with hp lower than 40%. And its not aoe skill too.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
yes i know how this skill works rly but it can be used as aoe becouse if any anemy is in range of this blow it get hit too but not by your normal damage but by damage u make to your target. i got polish version 1.3

so if u make this hit for 40% ( lvl 10 of this skill) to enemy with 2 k hp u make 800 damage to any enemy on line of atack . i have no idea how its works with 1 h but with 2 h u can easy make huge damage to whole grp of enemys just try to put them in stack and its easy cuz ai sux
if u got lucky u can kill grp of enemys in 2 fatalities
u simply need make enought damage to one target to fatal him :P
and its funny cuz this skill works on every one even bosses . try it on baal when his minions are on line of atack one hit stage clear :P

Last edited by marcusdavidus; 07/01/10 02:06 AM.

old hand
old hand
yes i know how this skill works rly but it can be used as aoe becouse if any anemy is in range of this blow it get hit too but not by your normal damage but by damage u make to your target. i got polish version 1.3

so if u make this hit for 40% ( lvl 10 of this skill) to enemy with 2 k hp u make 800 damage to any enemy on line of atack . i have no idea how its works with 1 h but with 2 h u can easy make huge damage to whole grp of enemys just try to put them in stack and its easy cuz ai sux
if u got lucky u can kill grp of enemys in 2 fatalities
u simply need make enought damage to one target to fatal him :P
and its funny cuz this skill works on every one even bosses . try it on baal when his minions are on line of atack one hit stage clear :P

I had english ver 1.0 and its a single target skill, where it dont do any damage to any other mobs in range, beside the 1 you targeting. And this is suppose how the skill should work out. Beside that fatality cant be use unless enemy hp met the requirement only, eg for rank 10 fatality, it can only be use on mob with hp lesser than 40%. And this skill work with bosses all the time.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
YES I KNOW I CAN ONLY USE$ IT WHEN i got 40% in skill an enemy got 40 % hp jesus
in polish version what is based on last german version one weapon slash can hit multiple targets
and is bug propably but fatality is not really killing blow its get amount of damage anemy hp when u hit him an instantyaply it to damage of that swing so if enemy got 800 hp ( 40 % of his full 2 k hp) this skill aply 800 damage to this sword swing so this enemy die instantly cuz 800 hp - 800 damage = 0 but magic starts now the damage your sword make (800) dont desapear but is on sword till edn of that slash so if the same slash hits another target another target get hit by 800 damage aswell - resists so u can make 800 damage to multiple targets. i know i use it by halaf of game expecially after lvl 30 when all mobs are hit u for 0 but got tons of hp and is pajin in ass to kill bunch of this weaklings

old hand
old hand
YES I KNOW I CAN ONLY USE$ IT WHEN i got 40% in skill an enemy got 40 % hp jesus
in polish version what is based on last german version one weapon slash can hit multiple targets
and is bug propably but fatality is not really killing blow its get amount of damage anemy hp when u hit him an instantyaply it to damage of that swing so if enemy got 800 hp ( 40 % of his full 2 k hp) this skill aply 800 damage to this sword swing so this enemy die instantly cuz 800 hp - 800 damage = 0 but magic starts now the damage your sword make (800) dont desapear but is on sword till edn of that slash so if the same slash hits another target another target get hit by 800 damage aswell - resists so u can make 800 damage to multiple targets. i know i use it by halaf of game expecially after lvl 30 when all mobs are hit u for 0 but got tons of hp and is pajin in ass to kill bunch of this weaklings

Fatality by default is a 1 hit ko skill to targeted mob which met the skill requirement, not a damage skill which damage base on mob's hp. That is what written on the skill description. The skill description is " You can instantly kill enemy whose hitpoints is below a total of ?%" and I tested it before and it works out as how the skill description list out. I not sure how your polish version changes it, but that how it work in english version I had.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
like i told u patch 1.3 polish is base on last german version and many of NEW patch that will come for us version soon content is already in i like multiple targets hits by weapon and with that patch ur able to fatality one target and make samedamage to other target/targets if they are hited by this slash . besie what skill wrote its not "insta" kill its simply add damage exacly same like enemy got hp to that slash and targeted enemy cannot dodge and his armor and other restists are set to 0 for that hit. so this target got 800 hp got khit by fatality got -800 hp from that slash so he die . but another mob get hitted by the same slash and he got resists etc so he got hittted by 800 damage and that 800 damage is reduced by nromal factors like resitsts etc, and that damage is flagged propably as magic damage becouse its make almost full to most of mobs even if they got hell out meale resists . thank if u still dont belive me i can make movie in fraps or so

old hand
old hand
like i told u patch 1.3 polish is base on last german version and many of NEW patch that will come for us version soon content is already in i like multiple targets hits by weapon and with that patch ur able to fatality one target and make samedamage to other target/targets if they are hited by this slash . besie what skill wrote its not "insta" kill its simply add damage exacly same like enemy got hp to that slash and targeted enemy cannot dodge and his armor and other restists are set to 0 for that hit. so this target got 800 hp got khit by fatality got -800 hp from that slash so he die . but another mob get hitted by the same slash and he got resists etc so he got hittted by 800 damage and that 800 damage is reduced by nromal factors like resitsts etc, and that damage is flagged propably as magic damage becouse its make almost full to most of mobs even if they got hell out meale resists . thank if u still dont belive me i can make movie in fraps or so

That how yours work out, but not for all. If you had follow up on the patch thread, you should have know not everyone is able to patch to v1.03. There are only certain version could patch to 1.03. There might be changes make in 1.03, but what I telling is now is that how the skill work out by default, at least for me at my current version ok.

apprentice
apprentice
This thread is very helpful but I would like to know what the level cap is and how many points you get per level for skill and stat increases. If we know that we can better determine how to distribute points.

Support
Support

There is a technical level cap around level 60, but practically most people finish the game at level 34 or 35 (highest I've seen mentioned is 38).

Welcome to the forum. wave

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
there is no lvl cap if u mind read alot and u manage to find all skill books u can get around 60-70 skill points on lvl 35

apprentice
apprentice
Thank you Raze and marcusdavidus.

That seems like enough skills points to get a nice Hybrid going.

old hand
old hand
I reskill at lvl35 and found that I had a total of 72 skill point available. I might actually miss a few skill points through books which I might not be aware off. While in hall of echoes, you can gain around 5 to 6 more skill points. So total up can reach close to 80 skill points at lvl35.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard