Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by White Ripper
This game is not very good,but everybody should try. I like this. This is not awesome like other RP games but it gives a lot of hours of fun. It definitly deserves 7.

confused, you don't why it is "not very good," but then you give some good reasons about it.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by ironcreed
IGN = IGNore abbreviated. :hihi:

Seriously, they are certainly entitled to their opinion. Yet, in my opinion, this is by far one of their worst reviews.

That rating is for xbox, because of all the glitches and bugs it has on it, I dont blame them for giving it that low of a score... PC scored 7

K
stranger
stranger
K
Guys, think about it. Let's be honest and say that Divinity II deserves 7/10. It's a good game with a few issues but overall it's actually better than most overhyped, streamlined stuff that was published during the last years. Compared to Divinity II, many of those rubbish games I dare say deserve a far lower score. Reviewers got payed for what they do. They are not objective. Think about it, what's the best payed commercial for a game if not a great score one of the popular "reviewing" internet site. Be glad that developers that still care about their games, and not just profit, exist and enjoy these hidden gems. It might not last forever. wink

Last edited by Keth; 16/02/10 09:20 PM.
veteran
veteran
I give, after reflection, Divinity II : Ego Draconis, a score of 9/10 !

I read on this threath/topic all things Lar_q had written down there and I'm impressed!
Impressed and also not so suprized because I feel (but hitherto I could't explain exactly "WHY") already years ago when I began to play DD (and BD) that these games are from developers they must make difficult choises to solve many development-problems BECAUSE they want to make a strong RPG with always the "FUME" - acronym in mind,
Lar(ian) explain here:

Originally Posted by Lar_q
I've got this acronym by which I judge a RPG, it's called FUME. Rate the Freedom to develop your character, rate the Universe in which you can develop your characrter, rate the Motivation to develop your character and rate the Enemies against which you can develop your character, and if the game scores high on all four fronts, you most likely have a pretty cool RPG.

Or put otherwise

F=all the actions and choices I can make in the game world
U=the quality of the simulation and the visualisation of the world
M=the story that drives me forward
E=the combat

And futher on this smile :
Originally Posted by Lar_q

I consider the choices you make in a RPG to be as much part of your character development as your stats and equipment, and I prefer it when players stumble into situations where they have to make choices as a result of their own actions, as it makes them feel more involved. The simplest way to do that is to litter the world with opportunities to experience interesting things and leave it upon the players to discover them. You don't enforce situations upon the player, and it's their exploration choices that bring on these interesting situations. The second thing you can do is have those interesting situations involve interesting choices. That leads to a fairly dynamic experience in which the player starts geting the feeling that his actions matter and it gives him a sense of freedom in a reactive universe.

I was wondering WHY I can't stop playing, even after I was disappointed about some points like not always "seemless world" and "Aleroth" and "the special ending"....
I know, if I begin again today playing, I must try hard to stop myself or I forget to eat, sleep, to work in my house etc etc ... biggrin ... So now I take a "rest" of play this game, because I'm afraid I can't stop easely LOL !

Lar_q's explanation about involved, let the player dicover, making own choises, etc ... it all say so much to me!!
NOW I understand WHY I'm so full INVOLVED when I play Divinity II !!
And WHY this game is for me so very very addictive!!!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
apprentice
I think most posts are focused on us not liking the reviewer because he/she is an idiot i have divinity 2 on my Xbox and i loved playing every second of it and am looking forward to playing the expansion when it comes out sure there are a few tweaks to be made but the overall gaming experience is one of the....if not the best i have had, only divine divinity is superior what we can take from this review is that IGN really don't know what makes a proper RPG, divinity nailed everything for me and to top it off we are getting an expansion call me crazy but most game developers dont go as far to satisfy their fanbase as Larian do.

P.S The music rocks

H
stranger
stranger
H
As they say can't spell ignorance without IGN :P

Live free or die trying
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hazuki_Ryo
As they say can't spell ignorance without IGN :P

haha nice!

L
stranger
stranger
L
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the modding aspect, or lack of it, as a downside. Most games like this are now moddable and usually boosts the ratings, such as Oblivion?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by wheeloftimefan
This is my opinion. I feel a lot of western gamers want their hand held. I think a lot of western gamers are Hollywood zombies. This game is hard. This game is tough. It requires you to get out and think. IT doesn't old your hand, and you are punished for doing stupid things. I feel a lot of western reviewers play these European titles and get frustrated because they are brutal. They in turn grow angry and slam the title. I played risen. IT was slammed on. At first I hated it.

I think it is kind of annoying that if you just walk the "wrong" direction, you can wind up walking from an area that is right within your level and challenging to something WAY beyond your level area to the point you get slaughtered with a few swings. Good thing I do quicksave a lot and that you can save at any time - so that pretty much solves this problem, to an extent.

I would be all for RPG's giving areas that are say pretty much hardcoded for levels much higher than yours a warning, if say you're a certain number of levels outside of it - you know, before you even encounter an enemy in that area. I'd like to know what the hell I'm getting into, you know. Of course, you should get an XP bonus, if you are winning battles way outside of your level.

I should note - I'm really enjoying Divinity 2: Ego Draconis on the PC quite a hell of a lot, to say the least.

Last edited by MysterD; 10/03/10 11:27 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
4.0 Presentation
Inconvenient interface and some serious glitches like save file problems and disappearing doors.

4.5 Graphics
You can see what Larian was trying for, but the chunky framerate, poor animations, and general lack of detail will impress nobody.

I had never problems with save files and disappearing doors so its just his opion not an objective revieuw where every gamer can benefit from. Same for sound and gameplay.

Giving 4,5 for graphics? which game can go over 6 in his opinion? It looks like the most useless review I ever saw...

old hand
old hand
About the Save Bug.
It was in the US Version.

L
stranger
stranger
L
ah ok thank you that explains a part of the review

M
stranger
stranger
M
How the heck did they give it a 4.8 out of 10?

Should have been closer to 2.8 or so. This game doesn't deserve anything near a 5/10.

M
stranger
stranger
M
deleted post *accidental double post*

Last edited by mojokabobo; 24/05/10 09:43 PM.
veteran
veteran
I give it 9/10, MY opinion wink

:hihi:

But playing with my girlfriend is even more enjoyable than playing the best of the best game ever!!! biggrin :hihi:

But my question 's are:
WHAT makes a game great question Depends on personal meanings!!
Can a game be great for everyone question For sure NOT!!
Must every game have a "good ending" for the "hero" question No, but also back again a personal opinion!!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Since you'll often find yourself going up against powerful foes, you're going to have to get creative. Instead of rewarding player skill in terms of the abilities you've selected, combat is often more about exploiting AI glitches and slamming potions as rapidly as possible to stay alive until you're at a decent enough level to steamroll everything in your way. It's unfortunate that enemy pathfinding tends to be so weak since it breaks whatever sense of immersion the game tries to cobble together, but it's also fortunate since it allows you to duck behind debris or pillars and regenerate health and mana reserves in the midst of an otherwise impossible fight. You'll also find enemies tend to get stuck, even while out in the open, which seemed to happen more frequently when they reached the edge of their agro range tethers, which makes the experience feel unpolished.

This, a thousand times.

Ego Draconis is an otherwise awesome game, but the combat is infuriating at times, and relying on exploits for survival blows.

If this is fixed in the expansion, I will cheer mightily.

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
stranger
stranger
The impression I get is the reviewer is protesting too much.

He needs angsty dragon-age crap to reassure him he isn't playing a kids game?

I have the PC version but from what I've been told the 360 is a close cousin so the criticisms of the graphics I find bizzare. The deferred rendered shadows and lighting changes are beautiful and... to criticise the music... again what does he think is good? Dragon-age again... Inon Zur at his most generic and forgettable?

I'm English so naturally I loved the voice acting, maybe he doesn't get that either?

Overall the feeling Divinity 2 left me with was a real feel good buzz. I loved the fun-ness of it, the music and the whole look made me flashback to the 90s game Golden Axe (I know that's not an RPG but the whole epic slightly silly feel was the same).

I really don't know why so many American reviwers have got it in for this game. I mean one major site even criticised the "draw distance" ???? Does Divinity 2 even have a 'draw distance', you can see to the horizon as far as I can tell.

-editing- I like plenty of American RPGs too. NWN2, the old Bioware and BlackIsle games etc. Now I've pretty much given up on them tho, Mass Effect and Dragon Age I find tedious.

I'm going to reach a bit but I think this is a psychological thing. Americans are told they should be "goal oriented" (which means stroking your own ego while picturing the next reward) and those are the buttons the new bioware stuff presses. I don't think europeans 'enjoy' skinner-box game design, 'achievements' and DLCs quite so much.

Last edited by Robynah; 30/05/10 04:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
Haven't finished the game yet, so I am not yet in a position to rate it, but overall my impression is that anyone who is looking for a really easy game where you can just wade in and power through things like a demigod is going to hate it. Despite the superficial resemblance to the Diablo-style single character ARPG, Ego Draconis is in fact a very different animal entirely.

I suspect this is in fact the main problem the reviewer had (Apart from not knowing his Dark Fantasy from his High Fantasy! Ye gods!) - what he thought he was looking at was nothing like what the game actually IS and his expectations defeated him. Hence the confusion over mind reading (A thing you have to weigh up whether to use or not) and the expectation of spectacular combat.

Overall a somewhat odd review. He does make some good points, but from his overall description the game should belong in the 6-7 out of 10 bracket, not the 4 he gives it.

The game is certainly not without fault so far, but it's nowhere near being the nightmare that so low a score would indicate.

I found the review to be very confusing in light of the final scores he gives, which only rarely seem to bear any relation to his opinions given in the body of the review.

Ah, well. I think I'll go stick a few goblins full of arrows... smile

Please click the banner...
stranger
stranger
I just recalled what this game really reminds me of: the old Lands of Lore games by Westwood Stuiods (light RPGs with adenture elements).

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/lands-of-lore-series

There haven't been games like that for 10 years so I guess that explains some reviewers confused expectations.

I feel, as many others do, this review is absurd. The graphics aren't too shabby, the character customization is endless and brilliant, and the music is of the best of any game. Even the ending isn't as bad as everyone is saying. Of course it is a terrible ending if there were no sequel, but this ending perfectly paves the way for the next game. One of the things I liked most about this game was the humor. I found myself laughing out loud multiple times while playing through this game. I give it an 8.5 (mostly all the glitches have been fixed.) If the add on finishes up the story i will definitely give it a 9.5. Also, it is amazing that Larian made this awesome forum. It shows they really care about people's opinions. I love this game and I will be a dedicated fan as long as the Divinity series goes on.
Long live Larian, and long live Divinity!!
div2s

Last edited by Jdog619; 31/05/10 04:32 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard