Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Support
Support

Like Stabbey said, there are some bookcases (and chests, etc) that are basically duplicates. In the merchants' guild the only books you need are the set of 3 that can teach you a level of Trader's Tongue.

connected containers?

O
okeee Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
Ok so it's no problem getting all the items from these chests/bookcase?

Support
Support

No, there shouldn't be a problem getting items from these chests or bookcases. A couple people used such pairs of containers to have stuff readily available at their base and at a merchant, etc.

O
okeee Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
How does "blind" skill work? I used maximum points "blind" skill on a large monster. The monster stopped attacking but when hit, the monster started attacking and chasing again. Also is "curse" skill very usefull? I used it a lot of times on a monster, then without using it and I noticed that it wasn't any more difficult to defeat the monster.

Last edited by okeee; 12/05/10 12:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
The Blind Skill reduces the monsters sight radius by 20% per point, so even if you have 4 points in, the monster can still see you if you close to melee range. I don't know why the enemy is attacking you if you're using Rank 5 Blind. Rank 5 blind certainly works on the player! Alternatively, use it on (ranged) enemy A, and go attack enemy B instead.

The Curse Skill lowers an enemies resistances by 5% per point. It's best maxed out and used with a mage who can take advantage of that resistance lowering to do extra damage. Just one point isn't going to do much. When combined with a certain skill later in the game, Curse can become an excellent way to take out enemies with 2000+ HP in one shot.

M
stranger
stranger
M
ok, when did (or does) Divinity 2 (beyond Divinity) come out in america?
Oh, and i used this combo on one of the black ring in the lake dungeon-
Withering Curse
Freeze
Elemental Bolt
it did enormous damage to them.
(i did not have divine death learned yet. stupid me)
what is the maximum possible level in Divine divinity?

Last edited by Maax; 12/05/10 06:30 PM.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.
Support
Support

Beyond Divinity was released in 2004. Divinity 2: Ego Draconis was released in the US on January 5th, 2010 (an add-on is expected about September).

Withering Curse can be resisted, unlike the Survivor's Curse spell. I know even level 1 of Curse can be cast repeatedly on a target fairly quickly (to be followed by elemental or poison damage); I'm not sure if the effect for Withering Curse stacks.

The average ending level is around the mid forties to the low fifties; without cheating it would be very difficult to get much above level 53.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, Withering Curse is inferior because it only works if the enemy's spiritual resistance is below a certain amount, and in the endgame, most enemies have 100 spiritual resistance. The Survivor skill Curse always works regardless of resistances.

In my recent play-through, I did every quest in the game and killed every enemy and finished at level 53, so getting much higher is not likely.

O
okeee Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
Ok so "curse" skill is only effective if you use poison damage / magic spell as well?

Support
Support

The Curse spell lowers resistances, so is most effective if followed by elemental / poison damage, or something like Divine Death or Polymorph (which would otherwise be resisted by many higher level opponents). If you are just using a weapon, or Hell Spikes, which does physical damage, then lowering an opponent's resistances is not going to help.

M
stranger
stranger
M
what if you killed every living thing. Like farmers and citizens and guards, etc? about level 55?
EDIT: I killed the group of orcs in the catacombs. the ones who wanted slasher. MAJOR Exp for a level three warrior(started a new game) Then i bought strength potions and waited for the healers to get more. i bought them, etc. I used all of them and got my strength up to the high five hundreds. then i killed seth for about fifty-thousand points. rep didn't go down, but brightblade is awesome. it has a four charm quality, and gives me a +3 to strength, +2 to constitution, it does poison damage, and does about ten or fifteen damage more than a bastard sword(or a long sword, whichever it is) Havent even ran into the dragonrider and i am at level twelve.

Oh, and if you have a lightning resistance, kill othos pigs(both of them)and he will attack you. I survived, and killed otho! he doesn't fight back, and he gives you crap for exp, but it will be interesting to see if they respawn him at the blue boar inn or not.

Last edited by Maax; 13/05/10 07:25 PM.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Support
Support

If you resurrect a group of opponents (or one strong one) then run or teleport away, they will turn hostile and you can return to kill them again for more experience and/or loot. This can get boring fast, though, unless you just resurrect and leave them for the next time you happen by (say with groups of lizard men in the Dark Forest, who have a small chance of dropping gold charms). I played with this a bit in Iona's dungeon, with a guardian by the teleporter pad (that always dropped something half decent when killed). Mostly I just used this technique to make sure I went up a level before getting a level bonus (there are a couple in the game), to maximize the experience points received. I maxed Resurrect with purchased spell books.

The Wisdom skill will also give you a bit of extra experience (though not enough to get over level 53 by normal means): Wisdom - is it worth the skill points?
As described in that link, the experience required for each level goes up by the cube of the level, so even killing NPCs you would not be likely to get to level 54 or 55.

Completing quests gives more experience at higher character levels, so within reason you may wish to explore and clear opponents first, before finishing quests. You don't want to forget about main plot quests, though, or end up with so many open quests you don't know where to start.

Opponents give more experience if they are at a higher level, and less if they are lower. This can be used to level faster, but when you do get back to taking out the weaker opponents, you may get little or no experience.
Without leaving Aleroth, you can reach level 4 before you enter the catacombs.
Explore / loot around Aleroth and kill any rats, chickens or cows that you want (50 exp on level 1, plus meat which heals a small amount), but you may want to delay completing any quests. At level 1, if you defeat the zombie Jake (the graveyard would be easiest), you will get enough experience points to bring you up to level 3. This requires a lot of hit and run with a bow, or a moderate amount using Meteorstrike. Defeat him a second time (in his cellar) and you get to level 4.

If you want to kill NPCs, you can do so (if they are unprotected) easily by casting an area effect spell that doesn't need a target (ie Poison Cloud) near them but not directly on them. That way you do damage, but they don't turn hostile and you don't loose any reputation.
When I tried killing Otho's pigs (after saving) he attacked quite quickly and effectively (no lightning resistance to speak of). In any case, do not kill Joram (if that is possible), since you need either Joram or Otho for a main plot quest later. The latest patch, or an already-updated re-release version, should have most or all of the essential NPCs protected, though getting your reputation low enough that no one will talk to you would probably cause problems, as well.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Well, i started as a warrior and killed jake with a short sword, albeit it was suped up with effects. Plus ten strength potions.

O
okeee Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
Can the lockpick skill be used in stormfist castle?

Support
Support

Yes, but only in the cellar of the building in the north west corner of the complex (the hatch is in the northern room in the guard's quarters), where there is no anti-magic shield. You can also toss chests out the front gate, or place them on the wall to get later from the outside.

You may want to put any excess loot you have in a chest to toss out the front gate, to make room in your inventory for what happens after you leave the castle (you will not have your teleporter stones for a while).

O
okeee Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
O
When you get kicked out of stormfist castle, is it possible to get into the castle back again?

Support
Support

Yes. You can toss a teleporter stone past the guards at the gate to get past them. Alternately, you can simply run in; after the guards stop you, pause the game immediately after the conversation ends, and then click inside the castle again. They will not be fast enough to stop you a second time.
WARNING: do not enter the castle this way before you have entered by invitation. If you get in early, talk to the duke and get a quest to find a cat, that quest will be broken when you do enter by invitation, and you will not be able to proceed. The only recourse for this would be reloading a save from before you entered the castle the first time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard