#424280 08/11/10 12:42 PM
Kein Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
<Original thread>
-
<English one>

You know, different games on different engines uses different solutions. Some, for example, lags no matter what, like Arcania: even without any FPS cap and with 0day path the performance is horrible and nothing can help it.

For their new Divinity (FoV+DKS), Larian decide to CAP fps on EVERY platfrom. It's locked to 30. Nobody cares that your system is a pure monster, like... GTX480x2SLI + Core i7 Extreme. You're doomed to play on 30FPS. Fun fact:

<there was a promise to fix it>

But... as we all know: promises does not work in gamedev. Never. In the end, it's all about money.

Kein #424282 08/11/10 12:46 PM
old hand
old hand
We're actually making the installers as we speak.

Lar_q #424283 08/11/10 12:47 PM
Kein Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Installers for what?

The game is out already >_>

Kein #424288 08/11/10 12:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
We obviously underestimated the impact this would have for certain players, so we're working on delivering you hotfix as fast as we can (this week still) which allows you to tweak the settings of the game to your liking. We'll do this by exposing configuration files which allow you to modify certain aspects of the engine such as for instance the lock, but also other things which could be helpful with people who are playing it on very low system specs.

At the same time we're working on a more durable solution which would become part of a patch that doesn't require you to modify a configuration file. That will take some more work however.

Link

Last edited by Unreal Warfare; 08/11/10 12:53 PM.

Kein #424290 08/11/10 12:55 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Kein
Installers for what?

The game is out already >_>

Even patches need installers!

(Even installer-making programs!)

Kein #424306 08/11/10 02:36 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Kein
You know, different games on different engines uses different solutions. Some, for example, lags no matter what, like Arcania: even without any FPS cap and with 0day path the performance is horrible and nothing can help it.

Arcania runs fine for me... too bad the game is trash though.

Lar_q #424314 08/11/10 02:55 PM
Ovi Offline
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Lar_q

Cant wait for it to be released.

Ovi #424326 08/11/10 03:21 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I am loving the game, and the cap doesn't bother me much, but I am not going to turn it down : )

Originally Posted by salad10203
I am loving the game, and the cap doesn't bother me much, but I am not going to turn it down : )

I'm in the same mind. 30 cap or no 30 cap this game rocks. groovy

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Paris #424429 08/11/10 07:42 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I am 28 hours in and shocked at how deep it is, much better than I expected. Easily better than Dragon Age, maybe better than the Witcher...

Lar_q #424435 08/11/10 08:02 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Lar_q

Good news! I am happy with the game as is but this makes it even better! Thanks! I will buy from your comapny again.

CPU E8400 Core-2 Duo, 8GB XMS2 System Ram, EVGA GTX 460 1GB DDR5, Win Vista 64
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The cap is annoying, but then at the same time since I am forcing AA I'm not sure I would get much more than 30fps anyway.

M
stranger
stranger
M
The cap hasn't really bothered me at all; I'm thoroughly enjoying the game as is. smile

Be patient, Kein. They are working on the patch that will allow you to tweak the cap settings. up

Mike

Patience may be a "kingly" virtue, but I am not of royal descent.
M
stranger
stranger
M
you know, if its just going to remove the cap why bother? if its actually going to fix the stuttering then plow ahead, but being that this has been an issue from the get-go i really doubt it

mikes #424590 09/11/10 06:11 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
I had that stuttering issue with the initial version...was actually quite annoying. But DKS seems to run silky smooth.

Mike

Patience may be a "kingly" virtue, but I am not of royal descent.
mikes #424607 09/11/10 07:48 AM
Support
Support

The cap was meant to fix a stuttering problem which most people did not encounter, so is unnecessary in the majority of cases. They didn't have time to allow the cap to be disabled before release (due to problems that caused), so are doing so in a patch; people can then enable the cap if they have stuttering and none of the other fixes help, and people who don't have any stuttering can enjoy whatever FPS the game can produce on their hardware.

Raze #424630 09/11/10 09:13 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well the original version of D2 had some stuttering issues for me, but DK:S has none wich pleases me a lot!

Hope the cap fix doesnt bring back the stuttering, a thousand times better to be capped at 30 FPS :P

Repost from a different thread:

Originally Posted by Greever
The stuttering feeling is part of a very complicated threading issue that we are spending a lot of time and resources on trying to fix. The 30 fps cap takes away the stuttering for a lot of cases.

We are however creating a patch with which the player can set the fps cap to what they please or even turn it off. This might bring back those stuttering issues so it's no deus ex machina.

On the other hand we are still actively searching for a cleaner solution but I can give no ETA on that.

So basically you can set the cap yourself. Some people won't have stutter or not find it annoying and turn the cap off. Others may find that e.g. a cap of 75 removes the stutter enough and is a high enough framerate.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Repost from a different thread:

The stuttering feeling is part of a very complicated threading issue that we are spending a lot of time and resources on trying to fix. The 30 fps cap takes away the stuttering for a lot of cases.

We are however creating a patch with which the player can set the fps cap to what they please or even turn it off. This might bring back those stuttering issues so it's no deus ex machina.

On the other hand we are still actively searching for a cleaner solution but I can give no ETA on that.

So basically you can set the cap yourself. Some people won't have stutter or not find it annoying and turn the cap off. Others may find that e.g. a cap of 75 removes the stutter enough and is a high enough framerate.

Thanks friend, that will be perfect for me then. Betting on a 60 FPS cap for more awesomeness.

stranger
stranger
I don't mind 30fps at all, i'm not a framerate nut, most of my games are 30, 40, 60, i'm not too concerned. It's just a stutter as you're running forwards that would be lovely to get rid of, and if that's what unlocking the framerates would help do, then i'm all for it.

As beautiful as the game looks, it's not the most resourcefully taxing I have, and other games can run on high or very high without a problem. The stutter remains whether I set it to Extreme or Low, so I doubt it's due to my system, hopefully it's just a little side-effect of having a capped framerate. I don't really understand how it works so i'll just experiment when this patch thing comes out.

Not that it matters anyway, i've still played the game for over 15 hours and loved every minute! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard