Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
stranger
stranger
Your horse will be sure to follow you, where ever you go. Indeed, though I always wished they had added black leather horse armour, for my thief/assassin.

apprentice
apprentice
Dragon Age is by far the best of these games. cool

Ipsa scientia potestas est.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
While I wanted to like Oblivion, it is just too big. You lose track of what's going on, and I feel like I just waste time wandering around nowhere. As someone whom has limited gaming time, I feel like it takes too much time to do something, and an hour has gone by and I have barely completed one quest, cause I've been running around trying to get to places. I'm sure Oblivion contains a great game, but it's getting to it that is the hard part. If I lost my job and had a lot more time on my hands, I'm sure I could dedicate time to making my way through it.

DAO fits better, because you always feel like you are furthering the story, and it's more immediate. It's story feels like some epic hollywood blockbuster also, like a Lord of the Rings, which is cool.

I've yet to play DKS, but hopefully it doesn't fall too much down Oblivions road.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Oblivion - A good RPG, however it is very limiting with the whole Scaling system. You can never go through a dungeon and run into something you'll never expect, like a huge beast that will slaughter you like you can in other games. You always know you'll be able to kill anything you encounter ever. Even if the monster is a later monster and you're a low level, the monster will be scaled down to your level, which kind of defeats the entire purpose of adventuring at all. Then you Level once, and the monsters jump up in difficulty before you can get the better equipment. Hey I could 1 hit these Goblins, but OH NO, Now they're Ghosts that 2-hit me!

The Scaling system becomes even more of a trouble, in my opinion, when you come to equipment. You can lose the best gear you'll ever find simply because you went through a dungeon early in the game instead of late, and picked up a weapon that would later BECOME the best weapon, but simply because you were Level 3 at the time instead of Level 16. Did you loot that guy's Chest? BIG MISTAKE! You just lost the best Amulet in the game.

The Leveling system can become a true bother as well. If you choose the wrong Major skills, you'll spend days doing something mundane to level. Pick Alchemy? Have fun wasting your entire day either creating items in your inventory to brew potions or looking throughout the world for a freaking plant left and right. Pick Restoration? The only way that's going to level is if you sit on the side of the road casting Heal every 15 seconds.

DAO - I never really got far into this game. They wanted to make it like DnD way too much without using the DnD ruleset, which is pretty dumb, in my opinion. If you want a game just like DnD's rules, just USE DnD's rules!

The battles in this game, at least on the PC version for me, got way too overwhelming. I understand the concept of Pausing the game to give commands and rethink your strategy, however I don't like doing that every 2 seconds. Encounter -> Get Hurt -> Pause -> Command Healer to Heal -> Unpause -> Attack Once -> Get Hurt -> Pause -> Command Healer to Heal -> Set Skills/Activities for everyone else -> Unpause -> Repeat. That's a Strategy Game, not a freaking Real-Time game. I'm pausing every 2 seconds!

I suppose I should finish this game one day, just that whole deal drove me nuts.

DKS - The first problem this game had was the Engine issues that a lot of people encountered. I tried playing through this, I made it to the Battle Tower and got my Dragon Form before this got too much to bare. I did enjoy the game, however the issues with the engine got to me.

Eventually, however, this was fixed. When I found out about DKS, I immediately purchased it knowing that it would be fixed, and it was. While the 30 FPS Limit isn't a seamless fix, it certainly makes the game beyond playable now. This brings us to the gameplay issues I have with the game.

The first being the Homing Arrow Skills. This is a terrible idea, as I've stated before (I do bring it up a lot, sorry, but it really bothers me). No other attack homes in the way arrow skills do, except Rush Attack, but Rush Attack specifically states that's how it works.

The second problem is the sheer excessive number of enemies later in the game, to the point of really pissing someone off (Or at least me). How do they expect you to take on any of the Flying Fortresses at the same level of the enemies? It's impossible if you play the game without a very SPECIFIC strategy in mind, which you cannot possibly prepare for the first time you play. The difference here with DAO is that DAO isn't a problem with the amount of enemies, EVERY encounter is that way. You have a party of 4, they have a party of 4, and yet, I still find myself pausing every 2 seconds. I've never needed to Pause in DKS. I've needed to open my Inventory to dual use Potions, but that's about it.

All the problems I have with DKS are quirks and tiny problems in comparison to the major issues I have with DAO and Oblivion. The developers, if they wanted to, could change the problems I have with DKS. Meanwhile, in DAO and Oblivion, that's how the game was intended to play. With this in mind, I have to say that DKS is the superior game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I play all the fantasy offline rpg's I can. I think the fact that people are even comparing divinity 2 to dragon age or oblivion speaks for it self. Dks has to be one of the best rpg's I have played in a long time. I have been playing rpg's on pc's since about 1989. And when the games started to switch to action rpg I didn't think they were going to be all that great. The witcher is my favorite action rpg divinity 2 is second. DKS is definitely worth playing.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Ive played oblivion and dragon age as well as fallout 3 and this game through with every playable option (mage, archer, warrior, (one dual and one shield and one two handed) rouge etc etc.

As far as im concerned Dragon Age had a few nice aspects, but to my great dissapointment has been ruined by (i assume) EA. They basically slaughtered my favorite game provider. Like mass Effect 2 they screwed up Dragon Age. Sure it has alot of interacting but that doesnt make a RPG complete to me. all the other problems regarding the game; missing armor pieces, screwed up armor looks (some armors didnt show like it should on certain characters, the general lack of armor and weapons, just a very few unique looks on weapons. very poor and overly expensive DLC's is just a few things that made me decide to never buy a EA game ever again.

This game however, i find far more exciting. I love the whole concept, the armor looks and variety is great (besides, i dont have to spend an insane amount of bucks to get a few more fighter outfits) the story is great and thrilling. I do miss somewhat a better skill system, and the towers you fight while dragon are a bit tiresome over time. But in general this game litteraly chops the head of Dragon Age (remember that my opinion is my own :p). Whereas dragon age feels half finished, this game takes it all home.

Id place this game along with my favorites like Oblivion, Fallout series, Baldurs Gate series, Newerwinter Nights series (except the last one), Mass Effect (Only the first one) and to some extent Diablo Series.

I cannot compare it quite to oblivion. It feels alot different, and oblivion is far more extensive. Even so, i love this game just as much.

journeyman
journeyman
Looks like everyone has wildly different opinions about game preferences... The only thing we all seem to agree on is that we like Divinity II hehe

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
A
stranger
stranger
A
Enjoyed Oblivion but it wasn't as good as Morrowind. Divinity II DKS is a awesome game I've played it 5 times (5 times Ego Draconis (once ED, four times DKS) , 4 times FoV). But Dragon Age is one of the greatest games I've ever played (1343 hours :D). (Mass Effect series are by far the best. 3679 hours in total)

C
stranger
stranger
C
I forgot to name the reason why i hated ME2, though it doesnt really matter in this forum, there are split opinions about it, so...

ME2 got slaughtered in the ways of armor, weaponry and the entire galaxy got basically sliced in half. ME2 felt like a miniature version of ME1, the citadel alone destroyed the game for me. going from ME 1 to ME2 all i saw was limitations, cut downs, attempts to draw every single buck from the player with DLC's. Cheap solutions replaced what made ME1 great to me. Upgrades for weapons instead of adding alot of weapons, same with armour.

ME2 was one of the games that i anticipated and looked forward to the most, simply because the story was amazing in ME1 and i couldnt wait to see how it would proceed. Never mind that now, as i wont be buying ME3 >.<

journeyman
journeyman
I think Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
While playing ME1 I was thinking:
1. this has a great story
2. this is an FPS not an RPG
3. the inventory system is annoying as ....

ME2 fixed my main issue with ME1, when I play an FPS I want something simply INV wise. Even if they kept same scheme with better inv system I'd prefer what they done. All that crap in ME1 was just a distraction from the story and questing.

Trying to play ME1 after ME2 made me love the changes. Especially keeping track of what planet you looked at and such. Though I do miss exploring each planet on the rover, even with its horrible controls. The hammerhead has much better controls, but aweful aiming... now if the used something like it with ME1 exploriation...

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
The only worth of Oblivion lies in mods for me. The game itself is so fundamentally broken and retarded in its mechanics, that it's not even funny. Dragon Age and DKS are pretty good games however.

stranger
stranger
I preferred ME1 over ME2 also, I felt more IN the game with the first one while ME2 just had prettier (ok, awesome) graphics. It just had too many immersion killers for me to really enjoy it like I did ME1.

Oblivion - won't go there.

Dragon Age, nice game in there somewhere. It had some really emotional scenes in it that could really get to you, but it was so tedious to get to them....

D
stranger
stranger
D
Divinity 2: ED and DKS (playing now)

gives the same feeling as playing Gothic and Gothic 2 and Risen or Stalker or Deux Ex or Witcher, which is so far as RPGs go the greatest praise. Key reason: well thought out scripting of details and every action is meaningful. DEPTH!

Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect and Morrowind and Oblivion are and remain in mechanics superficial compared to games as flexible as the Gothic 2 or Divinity 2.

Just my opinion.

Two Worlds 2 has great graphics engine, great details, but terrible plot and city mechanics (e.g., guards take almost no damage) that I cannot stand after playing Gothic or Stalker.

old hand
old hand
Oblivion shouldn't even be compared to Divinity II, it suffered from massive flaws in the RPG perspective, enemies that level up with you? Reviews on Amazon UK suggested that most people played the game at Lv 1. I never enjoyed Oblivion. Dragon Age: Origins on the other hand..I loved it! The RPG elements were great, the menu seems to have inspired by the DKS inventory menu and the quests were great. Divinity II is most certainly good with quests that are just as great as Dragon Age but I think Dragon Age beats it.

Last edited by Demonic; 25/11/10 06:15 PM.
old hand
old hand
Dragon Age has the same level scaling as Oblivion, with the difference that it is not visual. Enemies will keep on wearing the same leather armour, heavy armour, whatever, but their HP and damage will be increased with you as you level up.

I also did not encounter any great quests in Dragon Age. All sidequests were inane "fetch this, kill that". At least Oblivion had some interesting side quests in the thieves guild & dark brotherhood.

veteran
veteran
All sidequests were inane "fetch this, kill that".

Here comes a surprise for you: ALL QUESTS IN ANY RPG JUST LIKE DAT: kill&deliver.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Carnivore
I forgot to name the reason why i hated ME2, though it doesnt really matter in this forum, there are split opinions about it, so...

ME2 got slaughtered in the ways of armor, weaponry and the entire galaxy got basically sliced in half. ME2 felt like a miniature version of ME1, the citadel alone destroyed the game for me. going from ME 1 to ME2 all i saw was limitations, cut downs, attempts to draw every single buck from the player with DLC's. Cheap solutions replaced what made ME1 great to me. Upgrades for weapons instead of adding alot of weapons, same with armour.

ME2 was one of the games that i anticipated and looked forward to the most, simply because the story was amazing in ME1 and i couldnt wait to see how it would proceed. Never mind that now, as i wont be buying ME3 >.<

I loved Mass Effect ME2 however was ok but not awsome EA has a bad habbit of butting their noses in where it's not wanted. Thay butchered ME2 I still thought the story was great but I did'nt like the the fact thay took the option to explore away from me the ba*****s, EA could'nt make a great RPG if there life depended on it the only games thay know how to make is sports & half the time thay can't even get them right. The 1 major thing about ME2 that f***ed me off was sorry people but now you can hit MAX LVL in one playthrough as the cap is now only 30 not 60 WTF. The one thing I will give ME2 is the scanning the planets for reasources it got a bit tiresome looking for reasources on ME when that was one of the last things you had left 2 do b4 finishing the game. Female Shepared is still the best she's bloody insane & so sarcastic it's amazing when harkin asked my Shepared to sit on his knee on no 1 I burst out laughing at least the humour was still in ME2 I will gat ME3 as I want to see how tit ends but I'm not happy that EA was'nt to put multiplayer in it as ME does'nt need it.

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Kein

Here comes a surprise for you: ALL QUESTS IN ANY RPG JUST LIKE DAT: kill&deliver.

Good storytelling, many ways to "fetch", and no marks on map can make it not noticeable.

stranger
stranger
TDKS is by far the best action-rpg of these three games.

My opinion is that DAO is definitly not an action-rpg, so I wouldn't try to compare these two games.

OB was a decent game but nothing close to morrowind for example, the everything is leveled from loots to creatures was a fail.

Draegnar

Last edited by Draegnar; 26/11/10 11:28 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard