Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Mass effect 2 was one game I just couldn't stand. Cut out the second rate and terribly boring shooting parts of the game, and you are left with the cut scenes. Cut scenes that many people mistakenly think they have some form of control over. The greatest thing about Mass Effect 2 was all the hype and teasers leading up to the games release.

Dragon Age was amazing. It makes you question the the fact that the two games were made by the same company.

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
journeyman
journeyman
I don't get why not everyone on the planet loves Mass Effect 2, but to each his own I suppose smile I'm not going to enter into a discussion about ME2 on the Larian forums.
To be honest, between Oblivion, Dragon Age and Divinity... I've loved all of them! I don't think I'm particularly easy to please but I really do feel all of these games are great in their own way... I've had enormous fun with all of them. I also don't really have any clear rational underpinning for why I feel a certain way about a game. I've played Fable II and Venetica for a bit but couldn't really get into them. Fallout 3 I really enjoy, but not for long periods of time. The reasons for this have more to do with my personality and sensibilities than any flaws in the games themselves.

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by virumor
Dragon Age has the same level scaling as Oblivion, with the difference that it is not visual. Enemies will keep on wearing the same leather armour, heavy armour, whatever, but their HP and damage will be increased with you as you level up.

I also did not encounter any great quests in Dragon Age. All sidequests were inane "fetch this, kill that". At least Oblivion had some interesting side quests in the thieves guild & dark brotherhood.

Dragon Age: Origins grants you higher abilities as you level up as well as better equipment, near the end, I was killing everyone with two or one hits and didn't even need a team. Perhaps you were playing on a higher difficulty?

The quests I were playing had you tracking down Gaxkang and fighting him, breaking into properties and stealing (get this series of questline when you have the stealing skill from a man in the market place in Denerium), working for the Chantry with one quest having you join a little battle raging on and then there's the interesting companion quests. Another one had you finding bodies and chucking them down a well. While in another quest, you summon a spirit, later you see that this spirit has been causing trouble on the roads and can undertake a quest to stop him. Lots of RPGs have those fetch or kill quests - it's the way they execute them differently that makes them unique from one another.

The Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion was based of off the Keeper faction in Thief 3, so the Kudos goes to them in my opinion. Keepers in that game even wear the same clothing as the Dark Brotherhood, are experts at hiding and even have skilled assassins. The grey fox poster is just a copy of the Garret poster that you find on the walls in thief 3 as well, everything Oblivion had - I saw in Thief 3.

The mages guild just had you gaining recomandations from all major guild halls and then you get three quests in which you become the archmage. The fighters guild is pretty boring and despite the fact it is called the "fighters" guild, there wasn't much fighting.

Morrowind had more guilds if I recall and a bigger world, so Oblivion was a great fail in my opinion.

Dragon Age on the otherhand was an improvement from Mass Effect 1 as was Mass Effect 2.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Draegnar
TDKS is by far the best action-rpg of these three games.

My opinion is that DAO is definitly not an action-rpg, so I wouldn't try to compare these two games.

OB was a decent game but nothing close to morrowind for example, the everything is leveled from loots to creatures was a fail.

Draegnar

I never did enjoy Morrowind, however, the world was way bigger than Oblivion's world and actually contained original RPG elements. Then Bethesda go and make Oblivion which is even smaller and then Fallout 3 which was even smaller than The Shivering Isles. After that, I stopped buying everything they made or published. I hear Fallout New Vegas was bugged as well - although not made by Bethesda - it's still a fail to contain that many bugs.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AudioEpics

To be honest, between Oblivion, Dragon Age and Divinity... I've loved all of them! I don't think I'm particularly easy to please but I really do feel all of these games are great in their own way... I've had enormous fun with all of them. I also don't really have any clear rational underpinning for why I feel a certain way about a game. I've played Fable II and Venetica for a bit but couldn't really get into them. Fallout 3 I really enjoy, but not for long periods of time. The reasons for this have more to do with my personality and sensibilities than any flaws in the games themselves.

You've written this on a very nice way ! smile
I recognize myself in your writing about "personal sensibilities" ...
I explain :
sometimes when I have "time" (yeah, when have I much time??) to begin playing a game I prefer a game (mostly a rpg!) depending on my mood ! Mostly I choose divine Divinity, but yaeh, when I always play DD, I NEVER can begin/end The Dragon knight Saga and other rpg's who wait for me :hihi:

So also I buy rpg's making use of my intuition.
Oblivion is nice if I wish to explore hours and hours ... and sneak around ... just like in an adventure ... Divine Divinity is pure my "fever" to become a real Divine Hero and search whole the time for new great equipment and weapons .... and I have the same kind of "fever" in the DKS ... Mostly I love it doing quests, quests and quests in all the Divinity games and in sooo many other ways I have a funny time playing the games of Larian !!
So briefly : most of the time I prefer playing Divnity games because they suits my "mood" the best wink

Note: I never bought Dragon Age or never bought a shootergame like Falout NV, simply because it can't "suit my mood" ... hahaha

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran
Actually, the only RPG (R for role) here is DA. All others is some kind of... imposters.

stranger
stranger
'Action rpg's' is the term I believe. I enjoyed all the Balder's Gate and Icewind Dale games, but for some reason I don't care that much for DA, though there were some really excellent stories in it. Just was too tedious and not very fun for me overall.

veteran
veteran
Balder's Gate is an RPG too. But it wasn't mentioned in this thread.

stranger
stranger
Yes, I mentioned it because it was made by the same people who made Dragon Age, but I don't care for DA as much as it's predecessor. But they are both what you would call 'true' rpg's.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I think true rpgs are still the pen and paper ones laugh crpgs tend to be more action/combat oriented

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... - Isaiah 49:15-16
journeyman
journeyman
A lot of tabletop RPGs are very action oriented as well... Depending on the DM and the group of course. It's all about personal preference... Personally, I feel Oblivion is very much an *R*PG, maybe even more so than some of the others. Just browse the Elder Scrolls forums and see the elaborate personal backgrounds people come up with for their characters. It's inspiring.

Experience the Witch Hunter Chronicles at https://whchronicles.wordpress.com !
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kein
Actually, the only RPG (R for role) here is DA. All others is some kind of... imposters.

I simply can't agree with what you said Kein wink

But I'm afraid this can be an endless discussion about WHAT are real Role Playing Games and WHEN is a game a RPG ?

For me a game is a RPG when it has at least:
1) Skills and statpoints the gamer can invest per level he/she gained
2) Via killing monsters etc and solving quests your hero collect XP points for leveling-up
3) Quests (main quests + side quests) to solve
4) Weapons and armor and other loot to find/equip to make your hero stronger (fever)
5) And last but not least,of course, a nice/funny/ ... story !

Nice atmosphere and music (and more) are welcome extra's to make each rpg fun !

So for me all Divinity games (and many other games) are REAL RPG's !!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
In case of BioWare, "R" stands for Romance, which is all the majority of their fanbase (or rather the majority of their forum fanbase) cares about.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Am I allowed to say I actually quite enjoyed them all? I'd entertain discussion about which is closest to a "true RPG" but it rather makes me lose the will to live. :hihi:

J'aime le fromage.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Try`d Two Worlds 2 for around 10 minutes, after 2 min my eyes started to roll:S the voice acting good a lot better then divinity. however the game-play sucks monkey balls.

apprentice
apprentice
Divinity is an action/rpg more action then rpg, the other two are rpg basically.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Joram

I simply can't agree with what you said Kein wink

It's ok, that's why we have opinions.

1) Skills and statpoints the gamer can invest per level he/she gained

Leveling-system is not an RPG's only element.

2) Via killing monsters etc and solving quests

3) Quests (main quests + side quests) to solve

STALKER is an RPG too? You can kill the enemies there and solve the quests...
Oh, yes. you can alter your stats as well there (via artefacts)!

4) Weapons and armor and other loot to find/equip to make your hero stronger (fever)

No comment - there is a lot of non-RPG games that allows you to do so.

5) And last but not least,of course, a nice/funny/ ... story !

Totally agree here. Divinity 2 has a nice and funny story. It is like.. a fairy tale, yes! Nothing serious, but a lightweight bed-time story you can tell and quickly forget on next day. Compare to DAO or Planescape: Torment.. oh well, let's not, it makes me sad.

So for me all Divinity games (and many other games) are REAL RPG's !!

For me, RPG stands for ROLE play game. When you play a role, when you CAN CHOOSE how do you play the game, When there isn o pre-defined path lies ahead. Want to be a bad-ass and wipe-out entire city in Fallout? You're welcome! Want to sold your companions to slavery in P:T? Easy.
Want to be a good guy and help everyone in BG? Then do it!

Tell me, can you really make choices in Div2? No, you can't. You can't kill Talana, you can't play as Dragon Slayer, you can't join Damian. Unlike TES3, for example, you can't kill everyone (like Vivec) and made your own path, via not joining to anyone. There is no real choice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say it is all that bad. It's just... no need to compare it with real and "serious" RPGs. D2 is good as it is.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S

For me, RPG stands for ROLE play game. When you play a role, when you CAN CHOOSE how do you play the game, When there isn o pre-defined path lies ahead. Want to be a bad-ass and wipe-out entire city in Fallout? You're welcome! Want to sold your companions to slavery in P:T? Easy.
Want to be a good guy and help everyone in BG? Then do it!

Tell me, can you really make choices in Div2? No, you can't. You can't kill Talana, you can't play as Dragon Slayer, you can't join Damian. Unlike TES3, for example, you can't kill everyone (like Vivec) and made your own path, via not joining to anyone. There is no real choice.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say it is all that bad. It's just... no need to compare it with real and "serious" RPGs. D2 is good as it is.

up

this is why when my friends and i talk about games, we make a distinction between RPGs and action RPGs. DA, FO, BG belong to the former, DKS to the latter. which is not at all saying it isnt good. in fact, DKS is probably the closest to an RPG than any other action RPG ive seen since it at least contains some choices, unlike, for example, Diablo or Borderlands.

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... - Isaiah 49:15-16
old hand
old hand
Meh, in Dragon Age there's a predefined path as well. Can you choose not to become a Warden? Can you choose not to kill the Archdemon? The story is completely linear, and choices are mostly illusory.

Genres overlap so much nowadays that everybody's got a different opinion on what constitutes a RPG and what doesn't.

Last edited by virumor; 29/11/10 07:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
Did you complete DAO? If so - which ending?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard