Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
I ran the numbers on a lvl 25 ax that w/ no enchants net for 1010, and used life leach lvl 1,5, and 9. (it was handy)

lvl 1 net 1040 inc +30 - mat worth 48 dif -18
lvl 5 net 1150 inc +140 - mat worth 124 dif +16
lvl 9 net 1270 inc +260 - mat worth 186 dif +74

conclusion: I can't see it worth the effort at anytime, before or after the tower.

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 25/04/11 01:28 AM.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

addict
addict
One thing I found useful for some needed cash early in my last playthrough, was to sell potions. Namely lvl 1 dex pots. I found the basic ingre for it to be very common throughout the valley. As I didn't need those pots, and just the ingre sold for only 1 gld. I purchased the formula for around 300 IIRC, and made a up a stack of pots that sold for 1300 gld. (26 ea) You can make more gld per ingre if you use lvl 1 formulas than, lets say lvl 2, which uses 2 ingres and sells for 46 gld.

This can be used for some easy cash early in the game or any time prior to the tower.

veteran
veteran
Yes biggrin ,

I do it this way and also bought a Bracelet that give me + 1 to Master Herbalist (skill req L 15), so after level 15 it was a nice extra coin in the pocket.
But I needed it because I started to collect as many "formula's and equipment with a Skill on" as possible (the one I was interested in of course, not all :hihi: )

In Broken Valley I found mostly Fatfern (dexterity potion) & Whisperwood (resistance potion).

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #444270 12/05/11 06:03 PM
veteran
veteran
Nice idea. Sadly, Merchant Lamotte (sp?) no longer sells it frown.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Nice idea. Sadly, Merchant Lamotte (sp?) no longer sells it frown.

Lamontte is who I got the L1 Dex formula from, after 3rd reload at lvl 5.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by SENIOR CINCO
I ran the numbers on a lvl 25 ax that w/ no enchants net for 1010, and used life leach lvl 1,5, and 9.

conclusion: I can't see it worth the effort at anytime, before or after the tower.

Wow - I can't believe you actually did that wink Good to know, but I agree, it's definitely not worth the effort as a way of making money.

Joram #444643 18/05/11 06:05 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Joram
Yes biggrin ,

I do it this way and also bought a Bracelet that give me + 1 to Master Herbalist (skill req L 15), so after level 15 it was a nice extra coin in the pocket.
But I needed it because I started to collect as many "formula's and equipment with a Skill on" as possible (the one I was interested in of course, not all :hihi: )

In Broken Valley I found mostly Fatfern (dexterity potion) & Whisperwood (resistance potion).

Hi Joram,

Are you saying you used Mstr Herb on lower lvl pots? If so, does it reduce the number of ingreds of a lvl 2, down to one? That would mean you could get 46 gold per ingre used, instead of 26. I'm now wondering about other pots, to maximize gold per ingre.

EDIT: I'm speaking of pretower Broken Valley of course, as farming diamonds can deplete the game of gold at any point after the tower.

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 18/05/11 06:16 PM.

veteran
veteran
Hi Senoir Sinco,

yes, at level 2 with 1 point into Master Herbalist you need less ingredients. I'm making a list now of all kind of potions on all levels, but so far it isn't complete wink

But I can say this, putting 1 point in Master Herbalist(MH) (or wearing that Bracelet I bought by Dr Needleman )
Level 1 potions: nothing changed, except for a Rejuv. potion :
without a point in MH you need 1 ginseng + 1 earth root
WITH 1 p in MH : only 1 earth root

At level 2 potion ALL changed like this:
Healing, Revit., Str, Dex, Int & Full Resist : just 1 herb. Rej : 1 of each (1 ginseng, 1 earth root)

At level 3 potions (and the same at level 4 and level 5 potions!)
all herbs you first needed 2 of each, now just 1 of each. First 3, now 2 or first 4, now 3 .. so always 1 herb lesser. wink

If you put 2 points in MH at lower levels (Limited, Minor, Lesser & Moderate), nothing changed. But at higher levels ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Joram #444649 18/05/11 08:26 PM
addict
addict
Thanks for the reply Joram,

That's interesting to know. I haven't given much thought to potions before, because I rarely used them, until the latter parts of the game. From using my gimped char build, I have found an interest in them from early on, and it got me to thinking about the gold. I have always been careful with my spending before the tower, in order to have the 42K to fully upgrade my runners from the start. This last time I had 50K, and that was mainly because I didn't use any weapons, and very little armor. I will keep this in mind for future playthrougs.

veteran
veteran
It's documented pretty well in Lancet's walkthrough.

Question is, is Master Herbalist + Battle Tower update worth it?

Joram #444754 20/05/11 10:28 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Joram
Hi Senoir Sinco,

yes, at level 2 with 1 point into Master Herbalist you need less ingredients. I'm making a list now of all kind of potions on all levels, but so far it isn't complete wink

But I can say this, putting 1 point in Master Herbalist(MH) (or wearing that Bracelet I bought by Dr Needleman )
Level 1 potions: nothing changed, except for a Rejuv. potion :
without a point in MH you need 1 ginseng + 1 earth root
WITH 1 p in MH : only 1 earth root

Really? Then the description must be wrong.

The description for Master Herbalist says that it reduces ingredients by 15/30/45/60/80 percent, buy your description sounds like it reduces ingredients required by 1/2/3/4/5, which is VERY different.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Really, don't bother spending money on gear for yourself. You will win better gear than you can buy, including jewelry and weapons. Once you have the Battle Tower, money really isn't an issue. Just send your runner out for diamonds as often as you can and you can easily sell them for all the money available from all merchants in Orobas Fjords. It's so much more fun to win something than to buy it!

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
I found that oftentimes, dis-enchanting an item bought down the sell price.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by grannyct
Really, don't bother spending money on gear for yourself. You will win better gear than you can buy, including jewelry and weapons. Once you have the Battle Tower, money really isn't an issue. Just send your runner out for diamonds as often as you can and you can easily sell them for all the money available from all merchants in Orobas Fjords. It's so much more fun to win something than to buy it!

I completely disagree. You need to BUY equipment to complete sets. Some merchs sell some very powerful weapons and jewelry that is better than anything you could find, pending the area/stage of the game you are at.

I found that oftentimes, dis-enchanting an item bought down the sell price.

Actually there was a rather deep discussion about all of this on page1 you are posting on page2.

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 31/05/11 02:02 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
It's documented pretty well in Lancet's walkthrough.

Question is, is Master Herbalist + Battle Tower update worth it?

Good question wink
I go to investigate that in my current playround smile .

I haven't had a close look at Lancet's walkthrough, just because I wish to first play to the end without any walkthrough . It's fun to discover things on my own ... it gives more satifaction and self-confidence delight

veteran
veteran

I don't agree with this, I often find some really good stuff from merchants. It's actually a good thing that they sell things worth using. If I can find it on my own, great, but often I can't. Also, they sell set and unique items which are the best items in the game.

addict
addict
I don't know the specifics of how Master Herbalist works, but I do know one thing: At level 5, it reduces all level 10 potions to 1 ingredient, except for Rejuvenation (which costs 2).

All potions cost 1x Fanny Blossom except Revitalizing (1x Earth Root) and Rejuvenation (1x Earth Root and 1x Ginseng).

So it's much more than -1 ingredient per level, since most potions show a savings of 6 ingredients, and Rejuvenation 10 saves a total of 10 herbs.

This makes sense with the math, too. Level 10 potions cost 7 herbs total (12 for Rejuve). 7 * 0.2 (80% discount) is 1.4, which rounds down to 1. For Rejuvenation, 12 * 0.2 is 2.4, which rounds down to 2. It's rare that a game rounds up for a positive effect (often it seems games round up for negative and down for positive, regardless of the decimal number), but it seems to be the case.

All of these tests were done without any upgrades to the Alchemy garden. Tests for other levels of Master Herbalist display the expected results. Level 4, a 60% savings, results in 2.8 for 7 ingredient potions, and 4.8 for 12-ingredient ones, which result in requiring 2 and 4 total ingredients, respectively.

Last edited by Lancet; 02/06/11 02:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Well, with my updated (lvl 2) garden and an Amulet of Herbalism +2 I have like 3 potions only that take 2 ingredients (2x1). So it hardly seems worth it (of course first game I didn't know and maxed it. And lost the FoV point :(, not to mention all garden updates were pretty useless).

veteran
veteran
Why are the garden updates useless ? smirk

But suppose the updates are usless confused :
it's just fun to solve 2 Quests for your Alchemist in BT, isn't it?
Just for the Quests I wish to do the updates, not for the updates itself wink

Joram #445285 05/06/11 09:58 PM
addict
addict
The garden updates aren't useless, they reduce the cost of potions by 1 ingredient each (for a total -2 to ingredient costs). Master Herbalist is just more powerful for higher-level potions, at least beyond level 1.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard