Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Erebus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I can't believe this game slipped under the radar. Maybe it's best that it did, since I didn't play it before it was remastered. After buying this game last night, I am so fond of it I got two of my friends to buy it from Steam today.

Great game.... 12 hours in... hope it keeps on delivering.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Erebus
Great game.... 12 hours in... hope it keeps on delivering.

I'm sure it keeps on delivering ... the longer you play a RPG maked by Larian Studios the MORE you gonna love it ! smile
Many "secret hidden Gems in this RPG" you will find ... wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
journeyman
journeyman
Agreed, wonderful game. Finished the ED part of DKS last night, so I started another char. I don't want to do FoV until I get used to ED honestly. (: I want to be rather perfect at the game before going into FoV...

old hand
old hand
.......Okay...I'm just going to add this:

If you enjoyed Divinity 2, get Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity for the PC, they are the prequels to Divinity 2 and contain a great amount of content and the same funny dialogue that we all know and love from Divinity 2. You will also meet characters in Divine Divinity that you meet in Divinity 2.

journeyman
journeyman
I know you can download DD for like, $5 right? Or at least that is what I assumed the "Download for $5" meant... I will definitely download (Or get it) sometime, though I don't know when because there's more important things to me right now.

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Twilight
I know you can download DD for like, $5 right? Or at least that is what I assumed the "Download for $5" meant... I will definitely download (Or get it) sometime, though I don't know when because there's more important things to me right now.

Indeed. I think I even got it cheaper (not by much, but is there much cheaper ?).

apprentice
apprentice
Divinity 2 is a lot of fun and quite refreshing after getting burned out on games like Fallout and Dragon Age.

It took me 4 attempts - mostly in the original release which I think was nearly unplayable - to make it past the first hour but I'm glad I got DKS and stuck with it. Divine Divinity, however, sucked me in from the start and I can't recommend it enough.

Support
Support

DD is available from Good Old Games (no DRM) and Impulse, for about $5 (they've also had in on half price sales a couple times).

I didn't have any problems playing the original release of D2:ED (though with the North American version, which was delayed enough that it was already patched).

journeyman
journeyman
Divine Divinity is one of the best cRPG's in the history of gaming.

It was made in 2001 and still looks absolutely gorgeous.

It is MUCH better than Dragon Knight saga.

So If you like diablo-like fantasy cRPG's with great story then grab Divine Divinity right now. Only 5 bucks!

old hand
old hand
I grabbed Divine Divinity for £4, worth every penny. I've picked up Beyond Divinity for the same price too.

As for Ego Draconis, I played through that with no problems.

old hand
old hand
All this praise makes me want to out and buy this version.
Had the original, played part of it then I lost the love and never played it again.
Got the DKS demo sitting on my Xbox, might fire up later.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
DD2 is pretty awesome and if you like it now, you'll like if even more if you play on.

It's just beautiful and one of the best RPGs to play.

I'd be careful about the advice on DD and BD, I did not like them that much. The gameplay is just outdated and somewhat tedious, in the end, I only played DD for the story and tried to get over with it. I never managed to play more than the first hours of BD, I fear I am just five or so years too late for them.
That said, they are not expensive at all on gog.com, so feel free to give them a chance. They have been pretty good games "back then" and it's very possible you still might them.

I just want to say I'd be a bit careful with the praise of the old parts. Do not expect too much and you cannot get a bad surprise, only a good one. wink

Divine Gamer, I really can recommend DKS. It's great and whatever was "not that good" with it has been ironed out by the patches. There's nothing wrong with getting this game.

Last edited by Silverdragon; 30/06/11 05:43 PM.
old hand
old hand
Outdated? Hmmm, they claim Baldur's Gate is outdated but there are many who wish there were more games like it nowadays. Yes, DD is quite old but the gameplay is like any other modern action isometric RPG. You click, you attack, you press a button and you cast a spell, combine this with the challenging enemies (bosses especially) that you encounter for large portions of the game and it's pretty fun, strategy comes into play at many times.

BD is not as good as DD but it's decent.

veteran
veteran
Not 'Outdated' ... but ... "Good Old Games" wink !!

I can't say I find DD outdated ... totally not ... and it's coming back to life these days many gamers discovering Divinity II, gonna love that game and checking the forum ... discovering people talking about DD and BD ... becoming curious and try them out, or just one of them, especially DD !

But I love DKS more and more each time I've played it further on ... smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Baldur's Gate 1 is outdated. Even if I'm a fan, I find myself unable to play it these days. Baldur's Gate 2 is still pretty awesome and I like to replay it once in a while - but in all honesty... I would not recommend it these days.

What happened to all the isometric classic RPGs (round based (Fallout) or pauseable (Baldur's Gate))? Those games were top sellers but somehow "they" just stopped making them in favour for the 3D-perspective.

(Actually, I do not think "they" stopped making them. Black Isle went out of Business and Bioware went to do 3D-perspective games).

But imagine a isometric RPG (like DD, BG 2, Fallout 2, or so) with modern graphics, lighting-, physics- and particle effects!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silverdragon
But imagine a isometric RPG (like DD, BG 2, Fallout 2, or so) with modern graphics, lighting-, physics- and particle effects!

From what I've seen so far of Diablo III ... this rpg is going that way ... isometric view rpg with modern graphics ..; vey nice looking screenshots !! wink

I'm looking out for Diablo III and project E of Larian Studios too biggrin
Curious if my current PC can handle them ... I'm afraid not and also afraid Diablo III will never on Xbox, just only PC. Hope Larian's project E is coming also on Xbox ???

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silverdragon
What happened to all the isometric classic RPGs (round based (Fallout) or pauseable (Baldur's Gate))? Those games were top sellers but somehow "they" just stopped making them in favour for the 3D-perspective.

Isometric is hard (if not impossible) to do on a console, 3D isn't. That's the sad truth.

old hand
old hand
Dragon Age: Origins can be played in top down view for the PC...in fact, there are those who would even call it the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate just as Bioware have said. After all, it does have strategic, tactical and team based combat.

Seriously though SilverDragon, you wouldn't recommend the long classic RPGs to anyone? Most RPG players don't care about graphics. I'd recommend all the old classics to everyone simply because they're better quality than most game nowadays and they can be very long (more so than games nowadays) and since they're cheap, it's a win win situation. Origins was 30 hours for me. DKS was 30 hours for me. Two Worlds 2 was 30 hours for me and when I replay these games, I do them even quicker because I know what to do and how to defeat enemies more easily. The only reason why Origins and DKS last me long is because they have great replay value. Baldur's Gate, NWN and Divine Divinity however have even longer campaigns past 30 hours and they still retain replay value with the many choices, skills and classes you can make.

They don't make them like they used to. That's all I can say.

Diablo 3 does look good but the series is mostly hack and slash without much dialogue, Divine Divinity is hack and slash half the time but it also contains a good amount of dialogue often with its own charm. Further more, there are quests that involve a lot of talking to people too which provides a break between the fighting parts.

Last edited by Demonic; 01/07/11 12:02 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
DA 1 is like... Baldur's Gate 2 light. It's that, not bad, but surely not more.

And yes, I would not recommend it. Sometimes, awesome games simply have lived out their time.
I still consider Planescape: Torment the best game ever made - but I really would not "recommend" it anymore.

Diablo always has been Hack & Slay, so I'd not draw this into a complaint on how they do not make good RPGs anymore. It's a bit like using one of the old VW Bettles as example in an argument they do not make "those sturdy trucks" anymore. It always has been from a different genre.

Two Worlds was one of the most disappointing games in the last time. It has nothing of the "great games of old" (as Divinity 2, for example). I have no idea how that fits in the progression "Divine Divinity/Baldur's Gate/Divinity 2". wink

veteran
veteran
Sure, DA:O worked. On PC. But not on consoles.

Hence they had to "fix" it with DA2. So the camera worked fine there... and sucked on PC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard