Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi,

just curious what RPG you find most fantastic on Xbox you've played so far .

To be really honest, for me it's ... rufflll ... rufflll ...

Divinity II The Dragon Knight Saga !

claphands

Why this game is for me so fantastic ?
It's about the original quests, the beautiful sounds/music, the great open skill-tree, the funny NPC's & tons of humour, the lovely cool looking armour & weapons and so on and so forth ... , the loot & trading, the intuitive gameplay with the Xbox controller ...

All together for me a fantastic mix for many hours of play & replay time !!!

Wonder why I ever bought other rpg's on Xbox** after I've bought DKS !
But, on the other hand, without playing those other rpg's I never would notice how much more I love DKS above the other ones ! smile ...

I think I don't buy any upcoming rpg's (like Amalur, The Witcher II, etc etc ... nothing at all)on Xbox till Divinity III or Dragon Commander is coming on the marketplace
(hope it comes out on Xbox, or my pc can handle it ... )

The ... er ... Librarians are the Best !! wink

** and waste my time with them ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Yeah, Dragon Knight Saga is the best! wink

Dark Souls is supposedly great. I have it lying around, but I haven' gotten round to it yet.

I haven't actually played 'classic' RPGs like Divinity on XBOX as yet, but there are a few action-with-light-RPG-elements games I thoroughly enjoyed.

Enslaved for instance is a blast and takes you on a journey through a post-apocalyptic world that is not bland and drab for a change. Especially the first levels that take place in a human-free, overgrown New York City rife with autumn colours are a feast for the eyes.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge I can definitely recommend too. The reviews for this game were mixed, but I don't really see why. The characters are great, the combat is fun, there's lots of (big!) optional areas with puzzles and it's well worth playing the game at least twice because you can play with either a melee fighter or an archer, each with his/her own skills. Good stuff.

My favourite XBOX game so far has been Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Talk about an epic game. It's so big it comes on two discs filled with absolutely wonderful areas to explore. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on the platform, period, and the game is the ultimate mix of challenging combat mixed with clever puzzles and level exploration. Every location you travel to is more beautiful than the last and after finishing the game you really feel you've been taken on a voyage like no other. Be warned though that this is a difficult game that you'll have to learn how to master. Be prepared to die a lot in the beginning. (Same goes for Dark Souls I hear.) Once you get the hang of the combat though, you'll see it's actually fun to go back and try your luck on a higher – or even the highest – difficulty. You really have to see this game to believe it. The artwork is just stunning and because of the fixed camera angle, every shot is carefully chosen, resulting in spectacular imagery. Yeah, this game makes me go all lyrical. And did I tell you the narration is done by Patrick Steward? That's right! Not to mention it's dirt cheap by now. grin

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the title wink
I take a look on the official site of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and it impressed me more than The Witcher II or Amalur.
Dark Souls I've on xbox, but at the time I started to play it Skyrim was almost on the Marketplace.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
A
veteran
veteran
A
I often wonder why, how and who could/would come up with a name like "Castlevania" ??? I often find that asian titles translated into English sound ... odd.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Joram
Thanks for the title wink

You're welcome!
I know it's not really an RPG in the classic sense of the word, but if you like a challenge Lords of Shadow is well worth your time.

[Linked Image]

I am in blood
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I often wonder why, how and who could/would come up with a name like "Castlevania" ??? I often find that asian titles translated into English sound ... odd.

Yeah, it's completely nonsensical in a way. smile The original title – in Japanese – makes more sense: Akumajo Dracula.

This is just one in a list of many games that go by the name of Castlevania actually. Here's the wikipedia link if you'd like to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania

I am in blood
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
@MAcbeth :
just a small matter about C LoS :
can I save the game at almost any time (like in DKS) or is it only per chapter (I read on internet the game has many chapters or something ...).

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
You can't save manually but you really don't need to. If you die during a platform bit the game puts you right back before your fatal jump or fall and simply reloads the last checkpoint (and there are many of them) if you die in combat. No worries there.

Indeed the game has many chapters that consist of several levels and each time you finish a level you can go back to it at any time, which is very much worth it because there will be some crystals – that increase max health etc. – you can find only after unlocking certain powers that come later in the game. Furthermore, a trial unlocks after finishing any level so you try to finish the levels again trials included.

I am in blood
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
O yes, I will be pleased !
Yesterday I find just 1 second hand copy in Game Mania ... I believe I will enjoy this game !! laugh

But only 1 queqtioon now:
I hear the game gives 2 add-ons (to buy with MS points!), but most people on that Xbox forum said the add-ons aren't that good regarding their price !

What's your experience Macbeth ?

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Great! I hope you'll have as much fun with it as I had (and have)! wave

About the two DLCs, well, you can decide if you want more once you finished the core game, which will take quite a while, believe me. smile

I've played them both and at 800 MS points (about 10€) I think the first one 'Reverie' is definitely worth it, whereas the second one 'Resurrection' was a bit of a letdown.

They're both quite short compared with how expansive the main game is, but Reverie has some really great puzzles and allows you to play for a few moments with a character other than Gabriel (I won't spoil who). I put the controller in the hands of my dad and my brother and let them solve some of the puzzles for themselves; they were really that much fun! (We all enjoy the Professor Layton games on the DS as well.)

Resurrection basically consists of one big boss fight drawn out over two levels. It's very hard, but adds little to the game. You can skip that one, but on the other hand, if you'll ever make it that far it might be neat to actually finish what you started (as it continues the Reverie story). You can of course always be on the lookout for a price reduction when there's sales going on during certain holidays or the summer.

So yeah, you can cross that bridge when you get there, but first enjoy the epic journey that will lead you to the Lords of Shadow! horsey

I am in blood
addict
addict
I also loved Enslaved and Hunted. Enslaved was more like an Uncharted game, but it's so good. Hunted felt like an RPG to me and had some elements of one, but it was also a more linear game with some really solid combat. However, even though it's more linear, it does have some nice exploration off the beaten path.

Best Xbox 360 RPGs:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Dark Souls
Dead Island
Skyrim
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Venetica
Alpha Protocol
Dungeon Siege III
Mass Effect
Two Worlds II

I also enjoyed Arcania: Gothic IV and Risen, however they had quite a bit of problems. smile

I like so many of them. I'm not too picky. I just like a good adventure, so perhaps I'm not one you should listen to. :P

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
A
veteran
veteran
A
I played Hunted on the last RPC ... Well, at least I tried to, but hd to give up, because I was totally ... unnsuccessful in using a console controller ... wink

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Libertarian
I like so many of them. I'm not too picky. I just like a good adventure, so perhaps I'm not one you should listen to. :P

No, you recommend good titles. I like a good adventure too! smile

By the way, Joram, have you played Castlevania in the meantime?

I am in blood
addict
addict
I think I need to get around to beating Lords of Shadow.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Macbeth
By the way, Joram, have you played Castlevania in the meantime?

I started with the game, but then, again, the Divinty Universe spread his virus back into my mind laugh ... so my mind controls my hands who takes the DKS, put it in the Xbox and press the start button without any doubts ... but I must admid, I've not any moment regret about it ... biggrin

Each time again ...

About Castlevania ?
Nice looking world and not so easy to survive wink
That's all I can say so far . ouch

M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Joram
About Castlevania ?
Nice looking world and not so easy to survive wink

That does sum it up pretty well! biggrin

I am in blood
A
veteran
veteran
A
I'll probably never understand why someone would create such a stupid sounding name like "Castlevania". It sounds almost as bad in my ears like "Divine Divinity".

--Dilbert cartoon

Joram Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Yeah, "Divinity I : Sword of Lies" would have been much better I guess wink

I've the same feeling with "Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning"
.. or something .. :hihi:

Last edited by Joram; 01/03/12 01:07 PM.

old hand
old hand
Can't give any 1 favorite as I love RPG's as a whole & if I were to say Final Fantasy it would'nt be fair the the other games I likeso I'll just make a list of all the xbox RPG's I've played & Loved.

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Dragon Knight Saga
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Tales of Vesperia
Oblivion
Skyrim
Fable II
Fable III