Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#453174 31/01/12 09:25 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
That's suggestion thread so I'd like to suggest something. Divine divinity was (and still is) one of the best RPG that was ever made. Sadly Beyond D and DD2 didn't even close to their predecessor level. Flames of Vengeance was much better, yet first DD still was much better than them. So... Thing I'd like to suggest is making add-on to first Divine Divinity. This idea has few serious advantages (despite fact that DD without 3D was much better than most RPG ever made):
-First DD still looks great. It's almost 10 years old and still- only thing it needs are textures in higher quality/resolution. So making add-on wouldn't need much work (at least much less than making new game)
-World game: Creating extra locations (with story of course) would give many hours of additional gameplay. Otherwise- there are much "closed" (locked) locations which needs only adding story/NPC
-and the biggest one: Who the hell wouldn't like to play as Divine again or hear "I don't know what to do with that thing"?
First Divine Divinity had great amounts of humour, climate and that's just great game. I'd love to see continuation of Divine story in isometric game. It's nice to see Zandalor again and other characters I met in first DD but... That's not the same. So maybe instead of adding some bugfixes and additional resolutions to basic DD Larian could make next DD on source of first DD? think

Mixxer5 #453181 01/02/12 01:16 AM
Support
Support

Given the age of the game, I think a remake would probably make more sense than an add-on if they were going to create any additional content for the game. Lar mentioned in one of the status updates that the person who did the updates for the download version no longer worked for the company, and anyone there who did work on DD would need to re-familiarize themselves with code and tools they probably haven't looked at in almost a decade.

In this topic Lar gave some of the first details of Dragon Commander (then called Project D) and Project E (aka Divinity 3):

Originally Posted by Lar_q
You can think of E as the original Divinity in a modern jacket augmented with many of the insights we gained over the course of they years and some new things we'd like to try out (with the caveat that those sometimes work, and sometimes don't).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #453194 01/02/12 09:40 AM
veteran
veteran
I've a very good feeling about both projects, especially project E, aka Divinity III wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #453243 02/02/12 06:06 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well... I can see Your point of course but still... Isn't making a great (probably well selling either ;)) worth spending some time to re-familiarize with tools? Also- I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see next DD in convention of first part.

Mixxer5 #453244 02/02/12 06:46 PM
Support
Support

I just meant if they were going to go to the trouble of digging out decade old software and re-familiarizing themselves with the tools and game engine details, then it probably wouldn't be that much more effort to re-make the game with their current tools and engine (maybe that is just wishful thinking, though). A remake would probably have a much broader appeal than an add-on for an almost 10 year old 2D game.

Raze #453259 03/02/12 02:27 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well. It'd be great to see remake of DD than. But how big is chance that Larian actually will make a remake?

Mixxer5 #453262 03/02/12 09:07 PM
Support
Support

I'd guess it would be unlikely.

Dragon Commander started off as a small section of dragon combat, stumbled upon when they were tinkering with the mechanics after DKS was released. Thinking others might enjoy the combat, they originally thought of releasing a small DLC game, but in cleaning it up had to add stuff to give the combat purpose, but then it was still repetitive so they had to add choices and consequences, and then kept adding stuff until it was a full game. If they were to remake DD and start adding things, even with the restriction of not altering the original game content too much, then it would probably still end up being a fairly involved project. Maybe when project E is out they will have the time and resources to do a remake, but I have no idea if they have the inclination.

Raze #453264 03/02/12 10:06 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
So I've big hope that Larian will make a remake smile

Mixxer5 #453321 07/02/12 10:14 AM
veteran
veteran
Sorry to say that I don't believe in a remake of DD ...

And WHY a remake ?

I really can understand your big wish, because Divine div IS a Masterpiece I still love very much to play, still, after all many playrounds !!
And for a long time period no one could persuade me that Divinity II can ever beat DD in terms of passion/lust and/or replayability value for me,
but Divinity II succeed !

And now I love both games, DD and DKS !!

I believe that their is a time for coming and a time for going ... and games evolve in the same way as the technology of computer programs ...
Sometimes I wonder if the evolution of all this ever stops ? But thinking about the proverb "Pacific standing is going backwards" ** ... I believe it never stops !!

** or how do they say this proverb in correct english?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Joram #453351 09/02/12 03:48 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Games can evolve, sentiment stays wink Diablo 3 is 3d, but still in isometric mode. And I do agree that DD is a masterpiece. But adding something (good) to this masterpiece wouldn't harm anybody. I cannot agree with what You say about DKS. It's not a bad game of course, but it don't stand a chance with its predecessor. In fact I'm playing simultaneously both DD and DKS. I enjoy the latter, but DD is just better...

Mixxer5 #453370 10/02/12 08:02 AM
veteran
veteran
I can understand smile
And I'm very pleased you love DD very much and hope you've still hours and hours of game pleasure !! wink

I love both games, but for different reasons !
Some of them ?
For the story (+ with the seven races) & music I prefer DD mostly .
For the Skills, combat (thanks to the lovely Priest skills!!) and trading I mostly prefer DKS
(but trading in DD is of course also big fun, but for some personal reasons I like more the DKS shopkeepers)

Quests in a RPG I always love them (except if they are all of the same type, I like variation)

Joram #453372 10/02/12 08:38 AM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Actually in DKS I've mostly enjoyed playing as a dragon. Other parts are sadly often unpolished and sometimes (Hall of Echoes duels for example) it maked me really angry (I've finished all the battles without any problems- except fight with lord and lady- about 10 save/load). DD just look more "finished". I know what I've to do and still- I can run around main quests and have great fun. In DKS those quests aren't so evolved- just kill someone/ bring something and that's all. But completing Dragon Set in DD is great fun- and I'm doing it fifth time I think...

Mixxer5 #453378 10/02/12 12:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Can't agree about the quests of DKS ... !
It's also thanks to the Mindreading feature that you can discover even more options to solve a quest .

Joram #453382 10/02/12 06:26 PM
Mixxer5 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Well... Mindreading is a nice feature but I used it every time I could. It was mostly like another dialogue option. And I've 42 (or 43 maybe) level of experience (in FoV of course). So it's not very revealing.

Mixxer5 #453452 17/02/12 09:52 AM
stranger
stranger
Hopefully Diablo 3 comes out this year, I'm really looking forward to it when I beat DD. I just love Isometric RPGs! I thought Diablo 2 was the end of it all until I saw DD recently. I really thought I played every good game out there. Torchlight is addictive but its more of a hack and slash game. I love good writing and story in my games over the fighting.

I'm really hoping Project E is what we all dream about smile It's funny I haven't even beaten DD and I'm wishing for a much greater version of it, lmao.

NightRonin #453454 17/02/12 10:32 AM
Support
Support

Blizzard is aiming for a Q2 release (April - June) for Diablo 3 (see here).

Raze #453463 18/02/12 04:15 AM
stranger
stranger
The game releasing in 2-3 months will be a miracle. Lets hope for it! Just sad though, because I heard bad things about Beta. I hope Bliz doesn't let us down. I know Larian Studios won't with Divine Divinity 3.. They better not hehehehe wink

NightRonin #454177 23/03/12 02:44 AM
stranger
stranger
I was going to make a new topic but I figured this might just be a smarter place to put it.

Wouldn't it be better to try and release the tools to make the game than to re-familiarize and make it your self? A mod API would certainly revive some aspects of the community and I would gladly dish out some levels of money for it. Let alone use it extensively. It does not even have to be anything big, just small and simple tools so we can make the game bigger and more grand than it already is our selves.

Lt. Tanisur #454179 23/03/12 02:58 AM
Support
Support

Some of the tools they used were third party programs, which can not be released. Maybe they could duplicate the functionality with other programs, but it would likely be a lot of work to develop a mod API for a game that wasn't designed from the beginning to be moddable.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #454182 23/03/12 03:19 AM
stranger
stranger
Ah but a shame, if only they had used some fore sight with that, though I can hardly blame them.

And thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard