Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
apprentice
apprentice
Well the MC is a super strong dragon knight so him carrying a big ass sword made sense

however the bandits with bigger swords than everyone else is a bit odd

Being scared of something is being uneducated
knightl #454443 03/04/12 11:51 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by knightl
Well the MC is a super strong dragon knight so him carrying a big ass sword made sense

To me, it doesn't, because in REal Life you just wouldn't be able to work with such a big sword. Speaking of muscles and so. wink

However, since this is essentially a Fantasy Universe, anything is possible, im principle.

Edit : Is this one of the reasons why Drakensang didn't sell (apart from the non-existing THQ marketing) : Because one cannot be a "big ass" in the game ?

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 03/04/12 11:51 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
apprentice
apprentice
Aussie slang there guess my point with it didn't get across the yard

veteran
veteran
I never wish to be a "big ass" in a rpg (or other kind of game), so yeah ... probably I buy Drakensang if it goes on Xbox wink
... because I'm tired to upgrade my pc only for the new upcoming games.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #454453 03/04/12 09:42 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Joram
I never wish to be a "big ass" in a rpg (or other kind of game), so yeah ... probably I buy Drakensang if it goes on Xbox wink

never said you would be a big ass i said " big ass sword" which implies the sword is a big ass sword, its aussie slang "ass" being a hyperbole

Joram #454454 03/04/12 09:53 PM
old hand
old hand
For me I really don't care about it being "realistic" it's a game based in a fantasy world where you can use magic. So taking that into account why would'nt there be magic to allow you to carry a weapon that's clearly too bloody big. Me personally I find it funny, I realy don't get peoples obssetion with wanting it to be like real life. If you want it to be real life the go to one of those conventions that allow you to roleplay as a medevil knight. the hole point of fantasy is that it's nothing like real life otherwise it wouldn't be a fantasy anymore.

When you go to sleep & dream some of the things that can happen in those dreams would never happen in the real world so why expect it from a fantasy game. It really doesn't make sence to me, people going on about multiplayer in RPG's & wanting them to be more "realistic" are the reason true RPG's & fantasy game's are on the decline. It's also part of the reason Mass Effect ended up drifting away from the RPG element of the game. All because people wanted it to be more like Call of Sh**y Duty & have multiplayer. I'm realy starting to hate what the gaming industry is comming too, there are so few game's I love anymore.

Joram #454473 04/04/12 03:12 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P
Realism is nice when the mechanics are complex enough to keep things interesting 100 hours into the game. As for oversized swords, in Anime games weapons look like hollow plastic wiffle ball bats that are rectangular rather than round. My characters feel more awesome with swords like in the Witcher.

What? We haven't hardly needed to upgrade our PCs in a long time. The 360 and PS3 have kept things stagnant for a while. Still sitting on the computer I built for Oblivion, granted I have swapped out some hardware, but well worth it an not costly.

knightl #454476 04/04/12 06:38 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by knightl

never said you would be a big ass i said " big ass sword" which implies the sword is a big ass sword, its aussie slang "ass" being a hyperbole

Sorry knightl, but I only was giving a reaction on what Alrik wrote down!

I had better "quote" Alrik's comment in my post so there couldn't be confusing about it wink

@Parmenides:
but my desktop PC is from the time BEFORE the xbox was on the market etc ... I've even no dual core prossessor ... I'm sure all new games are stuttering if I try to play them (maybe on the lowest settings it's maybe playable?) ... even Gothic II was too strong for my pc ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
Joram #454495 04/04/12 02:04 PM
old hand
old hand
There seems to be some confusion here. I meant "realistic" as in the artstyle. The character models and faces in Divinity 2 looked way too colorful and lacked much detail as well. The world itself is also quite colorful and this only changes for the dungeons. I've got nothing against colorful lush environments but when they hurt your eyes (as they do in Aleroth) it is a problem.

I hope Divinity 3 goes back to the Divine Divinity style and I certainly hope Larian aren't going to copy the new artstyle found in games like Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3. Divine Divinity gave you color but it felt rather realistic and unique.

Example:

Divine Divinity:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Divinity 2:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As for big ass swords, if magic can be used to wield them, you might as well have no strength statistic. Many two handed swords can actually only be used by having the right strength statistic in Divinity 2 but I had no problems about the design of weapons and armor.

I couldn't care if the setting is a fantasy setting, gravity exists, death exists, pain exists and so do many other things from the real world, so a guy carrying a sword bigger than the world itself is kinda pushing the limits. If it doesn't exist in the lore, it doesn't exist in the game unless Larian say. So saying that no fat people exist in Divinity 2 because it's impossible to gain weight in the Divinity universe is just the imagination of the player and not true unless Larian themselves say so.

[Linked Image]

The sword goes on forever.

If we're going to have "DKS is God and so he can pick up heavy stuff bigger than castles" then we might as well take away the RPG elements.

Dragon Commander seems to be decent enough in the artstyle. There's color but it's not too lush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvpoESEiYo

It's easier on the eyes and everything is a lot smoother.

On another note, when I Googled "Dragon Commander Larian" this image came up:

[Linked Image]

Worth posting. I WANNA BE A DURRAGON!

Last edited by Demonic; 04/04/12 02:05 PM.
Demonic #454520 05/04/12 03:20 AM
stranger
stranger
So what is Dragon Commander? I'm praying for a DD-like game...!

Also, is this the Project D(or whatever it's called) that I heard awhile back?

Edit: I found the official website. Looks neat, but it's not DD, right?

;_;

Last edited by NightRonin; 05/04/12 03:29 AM.

NightRonin #454523 05/04/12 03:59 AM
Support
Support

Yes, Dragon Commander was originally called Project D.
It is a strategy/action/RPG game, where you play as a dragon knight battling other dragon knights to become the dragon commander. Your base ship contains NPCs you can talk to and make various decisions (the RPG elements). Setup for combat is a board game like turn based strategy section, where you distribute your troops, determine where you wish to attack, beef up defence where you might get attacked and decide which battle you will participate in yourself (the rest are handled by AI). Combat is in real time, and you can take charge as a dragon and play it like a straight action game, direct your allies as required, focus on your allies and help out where needed as a dragon, or zoom out to an overview of the battlefield and play it like an RTS game.

Project E is a traditional RPG game, which has been compared in general terms to DD. For now all we know is that it will have a top down camera view and that we will be able to defeat the main bad guy in the end. It will be officially announced at E3 in June.

Raze #454528 05/04/12 07:41 AM
old hand
old hand
PAX East is today, so eagerly awaiting awesome news.

Demonic #454537 05/04/12 11:41 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Demonic
There seems to be some confusion here. I meant "realistic" as in the artstyle. The character models and faces in Divinity 2 looked way too colorful and lacked much detail as well. The world itself is also quite colorful and this only changes for the dungeons. I've got nothing against colorful lush environments but when they hurt your eyes (as they do in Aleroth) it is a problem.

I hope Divinity 3 goes back to the Divine Divinity style and I certainly hope Larian aren't going to copy the new artstyle found in games like Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3. Divine Divinity gave you color but it felt rather realistic and unique.

I have a different way to see things :

- Screenshots of wow are waaay too colourful
- KOAR is alsop way too colourful
- Divinity 1 was way too dark for me
- Beyond Divinity, too
- Divinity 2 did it right

That's my personal opinion on the colours.

My dream - and here's the fanboy speaking again wink - is Drakensang 2, however. wink

It is light, but not too colourful. Perfect, for my own sense.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
As long as the gameplay is fantastic good, it's fine for me, whatever the colours are ...

... but IF I may choose I go for enough light/bright and not too dark ! Divinity II is perfect this way smile DD is also very good, but maybe a little bit dark yes, like Alrik said I can understand his comment wink

virumor #454550 05/04/12 03:40 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by virumor
PAX East is today, so eagerly awaiting awesome news.

I thought PAX was on the 6th it's tomorrow is'nt it, the countdown on the PAX website says 17h to go.

Joram #454553 05/04/12 04:08 PM
old hand
old hand
As long as the gameplay is fantastic good, it's fine for me, whatever the colours are ...

Well same here really. Gameplay and story does it for me but having an artstyle that appeals is a bonus too.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

I have a different way to see things :
- Screenshots of wow are waaay too colourful
- KOAR is alsop way too colourful
- Divinity 1 was way too dark for me
- Beyond Divinity, too
- Divinity 2 did it right

Exactly! There is how I see the things too. Divinity 2 is ideal for me.
Sometimes I have feeling that its some kind of obsession, some idea that dark game is realistic/adult/great, so the game must have dark/grey colors. While everything even slightly colorful = childish (even if KOAR is NOT on the same level as D2). It seems like very simplistic black/white obsession to me, its not dark colors what makes dark game. But maybe its just different taste.

Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer

My dream - and here's the fanboy speaking again wink - is Drakensang 2, however. wink

Well, maybe you will be surprised one day. wink But its off topic.

Farflame #454859 18/04/12 10:25 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, PAX East is already two weeks past... wasn't there some grand reveal by Larian done during that event? think

virumor #454860 19/04/12 12:36 AM
Support
Support

Last year when asked about a demo they said people would be able to check out Dragon Commander at PAX East. Earlier in this topic, though, Lar said that at least Project E wouldn't be ready for RPC (held in a couple weeks), and that info about Dragon Commander would be coming 'soon'. The What's going on with Dragon Commander? blog post didn't mention PAX East.

Raze #454861 19/04/12 01:43 AM
old hand
old hand
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Demonic; 19/04/12 01:44 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard