Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#452787 15/01/12 11:14 AM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Part One.

(Half of the video is the player running about in town, talking to people, trading and customizing the character.)

Part Two.

Gameplay in the wilderness. This video shows the player playing as a warrior with magical abilities. The battlemage can use magic when jumping to jump further and even attack simultaneously. The battlemage can also create a magical orb that when hit, sends magical bolts flying.

Part Three.

This video shows an archer class which actually looks fun to play for once! The archer is fast and apart from firing arrows, he can dash fast forward in a split second and perform a flurry of attacks with two daggers. In several instances, he charges up his arrow and sends it far. The camera follows it.

To be honest, this looks like it could be this year's best RPG.

Last edited by Demonic; 15/01/12 11:59 AM.
Demonic #452788 15/01/12 01:01 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It does look promising. I have loads of other games to play yet that I bought at the steam xmas sale so it will be awhile before I get round to it. Just started the Witcher 2 at the moment.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #452870 18/01/12 09:10 AM
old hand
old hand
The setting looks pretty bland, to be honest. It looks like they just crammed every creature/monster from European legends/mythology in a Tolkienesque world. Characters also have that typical JRPG look I really dislike.

Combat seems fun, though.

virumor #453271 04/02/12 07:36 PM
addict
addict
I just hope its design isn't too eastern in approach. I prefer the more western design approach.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/04/ranger-and-mage-class-videos-released-for-dragons-dogma/

The world looks pretty bland. There's not much color or life to it.

Last edited by Libertarian; 04/02/12 07:43 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I didn't think it looked too bad, the textures and the background looked soft and pale but it was a low res video. Also it is a PS3 / Xbox game; both consoles are getting a bit limited now when compared to the latest PC's. A game with a wide open area like that in high def textures etc is going to need a ton of video memory. That's something the PS3 does not have.

I remember when the PS2 version of Drakan came out, textures and the world looked bland compared to the older PC version however the polygon count & draw distance was much higher. Guess it's the same kind of thing here.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Arokh #453527 21/02/12 10:37 PM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
1 hour and 47 minutes of gameplay and answers from the developer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOgchg-az9k

The graphics actually look good in this video. The trees and grass all blow in the wind, dust flies through the wind and the shadows look pretty good.

Oh and there's free running in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pOgchg-az9k#t=5835s

Demonic #454096 19/03/12 09:48 PM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
New facts revealed:

• Clothing can be worn under armor. You can wear ordinary clothing or leather padding for extra protection. You can even choose what underpants to wear under your clothing which is under your armor.
  • Drakes roam the world and are uber powerful. Drakes aren't mindless beasts though and they have their own language. They can possess your companions and make them turn against you.
  • If one of your companions gets possessed and becomes a thrall of the dragon, they will literally try to grab and hold you in front of the dragon for it to attack. AI in this game is amazing.
  • Drakes also have the power of flight and may take off into the sky with you hanging onto them if you grab them. If you drop from them at this height, you're dead for sure.
  • In another instance, a companion was grabbed by the drake and shouted to the player "Attack the drake while he's distracted with me!" which shows how amazing the AI is to realize the situation it is in.
  • Assassins have the same ability to jump upwards while climbing akin to the ability that Ezio from AC2 learns half way into the game.
  • Companions can be told to collect items for you so you don't have to.
  • The religion in the game is called The Faith and adherents worship one god called The Maker (Dragon Age lol).
  • There are zombies in the game and they look as varied and horrific as zombies from Resident Evil which is no surprise since the game is being developed by the same makers.
  • Sorcerers are massively powerful. Sorcerers can summon meteorites down from the sky and summon up huge tornadoes. The negative side? These spells take very long to cast and leave the sorcerers open to attack. This means that sorcerers need to be protected by warriors and fighters or other melee based classes.
  • Certain enemies come out at night and exploring certain regions may either be more dangerous or more safe at night. One region is a swamp which releases poisonous gases during the day but not at night.
  • There seems to be massive interaction with the environment. Nearly everything can be picked up, destroyed or used in some way. Items can be combined to craft items and ledges can be climbed up which means that the player can climb up mountains literally. Fruit can also be picked from trees.
  • If you toss a pig at one of your companions, they will catch the pig and toss it back.
  • Passive animals roam the world and you can even find baby dears roaming about with their parents.

Videos:

Assassin Vs Drake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZT2J_-kyb8

Drake battle trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mCKg0IPIk

Second 2 hour stream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YimwPf0Fr3A

Slow Life trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NESLudfWkU

Some random cut scene from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExL9dxsTYHY

Character facial expressions are rather realistic. Even the silent protagonist feels alive as he/she will make facial expressions in cut scenes.

At one point, you're slaying dragons and griffins. Then you're exploring the world and meeting beautiful characters in a typical RPG fashion:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

^
Random drake encounter.

Next, the game transforms into a survival horror as you enter caves. Lamps are actually fueled by oil and if you run out of oil, your lamp will go out and you'll be in pitch black:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GOTY material.

Last edited by Demonic; 19/03/12 10:29 PM.
Demonic #454700 10/04/12 04:26 PM
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Demonic #454702 10/04/12 05:35 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Looking at those screenshots and videos this is something I will definitley want to play. For a PS3 game it looks fantastic. You get the impression of a huge world just waiting to be explored.

Demonic #454918 24/04/12 06:25 PM
addict
addict
The demo was complete crap. frown

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Really? What was wrong with it? Did you find the gameplay horrible?

Demonic #454928 25/04/12 01:30 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Perhaps it wasn't like an RPG ?

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I hear most people enjoyed the combat though. I think it would have been better though if Capcom done something similar to the Two Worlds demo where you're thrown into a part of the world but there's a time limit.

Optionally they could have done something similar to the Divinity 2 demo too so that players get to see the RPG side and combat side but since Capcom have been advertising this game on the combat alone it kind of does make sense for them to make the demo have two action-packed quests as opposed to any quests which would show the RPG side.

The only bad I've heard about the game from the previews is that the title theme sucks and that there's a few graphical glitches in the preview build which I hope don't make their way into the final build. It doesn't sound as though there's any serious bugs though and it's the polish which will be the make or break for me. If people say there's game-killing bugs in the game then I've avoiding this game like I avoided Fable 3 and Skyrim.

Peter Molyneux is still chucking copies of Fable 3 at me and I'm dodging them like a pro. Each copy lands in the trash and each time, Peter gets even more mad. Meanwhile Todd Howard throws broken copies of Skyrim at me. I like taunting him by saying that a "working" version isn't any different from the broken copies he keeps throwing. I hear Obsidian Entertainment is coming for me too. I hear they wish to throw Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas at me. I'll dodge them quicker than the Champion Richard's penis erects whenever he sees a woman.

Last edited by Demonic; 25/04/12 08:52 PM.
Demonic #454933 26/04/12 01:01 AM
addict
addict
Dragon's Dogma makes Fable 3 look like Planescape: Torment.

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Really? Was it because it was easy? Well you are playing a high level character in the demo.

Demonic #454940 26/04/12 11:22 AM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Perhaps the Libertarian means lack of dialogues ?

Something like ProgressQuest , for example ?

--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
- Choppy framerate
- Blurry IQ
- Unsatisfying hack 'n slash combat
- Hit detection seems a bit off at times
- Boss fights seemed poorly executed
- The grab function seems hit-or-miss
- Pawns constantly shout the same things
- Art direction for interiors looks like a poor man's Demon's Souls/Dark Souls
- Art direction for exteriors looks like a poor man's Elder Scrolls

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I will perhaps be able to see a bit of DRagon's Dogma at the RPC soon.
At least capcom is presenting it there.
www.rpc-germany.de - They still have no English-language web page there, I begin to wonder why ? It's a rather stupid decision in my eyes - or they have their resources otherwise bound.

--Dilbert cartoon

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
That's more depthful Libertarian. It still doesn't sound like it makes Fable 3 look like Planescape though. A game would have to be completely void of choices to do that. Dragon's Dogma just sounds as though it has a few technical issues. I hear there's only one save too (WTF Capcom?) which is stupid for an RPG. Who the **** wants one save? We aren't talking about something similar to the Dark Souls save system. We're talking about only one gamertag being capable of having one character save file. If you want to create a new character you have to overwrite the old one.

Who's stupid idea was that? I love how Capcom ask people to play the game multiple times and create multiple characters with different classes and yet only provide one character save file. So if I want to replay the game I have to overwrite the save for my previous character (who I might have spent 200 hours on) just to play a new game? This is a game which is supposed to have NG+ too so it's not like my original character will just be left there for me never to touch again. NG+ means that I could easily come back to him later.

I don't know. Capcom have great ideas with this game but they've made some stupid design decisions too. Other than Libertarian's comment, I've heard good things about the gameplay from other people who have played the demo but Capcom have made poor decisions elsewhere.

Demonic #455018 29/04/12 10:26 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I played the demo yesterday. I wasn't impressed by it - a few of Libertarian's points were evident after 5 mins of playing. The combat is unsatisfying and it`s difficult to tell what the hell is going on during large battles. Your characters shout & say things but you don't always hear them with all that's going on. They repeat the same things. Boss battles are completley riddiculous.

The demo does not really seem to show us the good points of the game - just confusing menu system and bewildering gameplay. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's because I'm not used to playing it. I mean if you started at the beginning and got used to it rather than being thrown in to a boss battle it would have been better. I could go on but I found a review that sums up exactly what I thought.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1211787

Gonna wait till this comes out and read reviews first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard