Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#456754 20/07/12 03:37 PM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
NWN was an outstanding game on several levels when it shipped. The multiplayer was especially well received, and there are PW active to this day. NWN 2 flopped (mostly because the game was an absolute resource hog with poor graphics and more bugs than pond in Georgia).

I think the largest part of its success was the ability to host persistent worlds with 40 - 60 players and (eventually) database and .dll support for custom tools.

Is D:OS going to be similar to this? I understand it will be multiplayer, but most games now only allow 4 - 8 players and don't allow separate, server-side character files (opting instead for embedding them in the save file).

I think the world is waiting for another open and highly editable RPG to ship.

EDIT: After spending more time looking at the screen shots, it looks like you're using a version of the Electron engine. Is this true? Or are there just similar features that make it appear that way?

Last edited by twopounder; 20/07/12 03:40 PM.
Support
Support

The co-op multiplayer mode in D:OS supports up to 4 players; Steamworks is used for online multiplayer, but not required for local games.

Larian has not mentioned any details yet about the game engine for D:OS and DC.

Welcome to the forum. wave

enthusiast
enthusiast
Really?

I could swear I heard somewhere that they created a new game engine just for D:OS. Not too sure about DC though.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Support
Support

Yes, I recall reading that not too long ago, as well, but didn't mention it, since I couldn't find it again (didn't look that hard, though).

DC was originally build on an updated version of the modified Gamebryo engine used for DKS, and then moved over to the same engine used for D:OS.

Originally Posted by Raze

DC was originally build on an updated version of the modified Gamebryo engine used for DKS, and then moved over to the same engine used for D:OS.

Haven't heard/read about Gamebryo before (which reveals how out of touch I am with these things these days). Thanks for the info, another game engine added to my watchlist beside Unity.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by J747L
Originally Posted by Raze

Haven't heard/read about Gamebryo before (which reveals how out of touch I am with these things these days). Thanks for the info, another game engine added to my watchlist beside Unity.

Gambryo is used for the Elder Scroll series.

Really?

I could swear I heard somewhere that they created a new game engine just for D:OS. Not too sure about DC though.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Interesting. It looks a lot like the electron engine without 20 levels of shading. The toolset looks almost exactly the same (even the fire place in it!).

veteran
veteran
The toolset looks almost exactly the same (even the fire place in it!).

Huh?

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Kein
The toolset looks almost exactly the same (even the fire place in it!).

Huh?

This is a rough comparison. I might reinstall NWN 2 to show a better example of the two toolsets:

NWN 2
[Linked Image]

D:OS
[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
Yeah, but this part kind of confused me:
Interesting. It looks a lot like the electron engine without 20 levels of shading.

I thought NWN uses Aurora engine?

Aurora = NWN 1
Electron = NWN 2

BTW in my case, the right hand column on the D:OS was what reminded me of the electron toolset.

old hand
old hand
No, it's not the electron engine so any similarity is probably some of the same things need to be done in both engines. DOS and DC for that matter are running in our own new engine (so not Gamebryo either)

As far as multiplayer is concerned, right now it's 4 players, but the server architecture is such that that can be extended. We'l see how the editor gets picked up by players and if there's demand for more players.

Originally Posted by Lar_q
We'l see how the editor gets picked up by players and if there's demand for more players.

All the best for the success of the editor. Of course, the community has to be more tolerant and lenient.

I was actually afraid at one point with everyone here being critical and the debates and so forth. I hope that when the mods and custom campaigns come out, everyone will be more relaxed and tolerant.

People here will encounter mods that are outstanding, or mods that are a terrible waste of time. Of course the community has to grow and take into account that people who made terrible campaigns/mods have the potential to improve.

just my eh... 2 cents

veteran
veteran
DOS and DC for that matter are running in our own new engine

Is this your own, original engine or rather modification of existing (like you did with gamebryo)

enthusiast
enthusiast
I read in an article: "(Swen Vincke) We began developping our own engine in 2010, we are limitting the additional middleware tot the absolute minimum, and we replaced Nvidia PhysX by Bullet."
So yes, it should be completely new. I wonder what it's called: 'Dragon Engine', 'Divine Engine', 'GameFoetus', 'E-engine', ...?

Originally Posted by Lotrotk
[...]I wonder what it's called: 'Dragon Engine', 'Divine Engine', 'GameFoetus', 'E-engine', ...?

We had a thread on our internal forum about that. Unfortunately we didn't reach consensus. So for now it's just 'the engine'. You can always suggest a name smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Greever

We had a thread on our internal forum about that. Unfortunately we didn't reach consensus. So for now it's just 'the engine'. You can always suggest a name smile

How about "Maxos Engine" or "Maxos Power Engine"?

veteran
veteran
Or what about
"Jetpack Egine" smile

Is the egine fast ?
Then it's worth this name, right ? ;-)

Side note :
As fast as a Dragon can fly
With a Jetpack on his back
So fast ....
... is Bradley Wiggings in
"Tour de France 2012"
Born in Belgium,
In the city of the Larians,
Gent !

Conclusion :
The 'Wiggo' egine evil

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran
This child definitely needs a name.

bad, horrible, despicable, pathetic, jokes /on

"The ENGINEer"

bad, horrible, despicable, pathetic, jokes /off

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
You know, the two screenshots made me realize that the issue of interiors in NWN could have been so easily solved by static mesh walls and a floor board texture. Any time you entered a building in both games, it required an area transition, which was very wasteful (especially in NWN 2, where you could suffer transition crashes as the buffer didn't release fast enough).

Sorry, just some musing on a ~10 year old question that should have been so easy to answer.

Anyway, It's good that you're making your own engine. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the toolset can do, especially code wise. Do you have a custom scripting language, or are you using a full programming language like C#, C++ etc? Hopefully we get more than just a trigger assortment to work with smile

old hand
old hand
Enginly engine (as in divdiv ;))

Originally Posted by Anthea
Enginly engine (as in divdiv ;))

lol I like this one

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Aura Engine
Divinity Engine
JackYouInTheFaceEngine
CromEngine
NotAnEngine

Anyway, I might get down on my knees and beg for ~64 player dedicated servers. I know it's limited for the main campaign, but for the toolset and world building, I think this has such great potential to become a huge multiplayer game. All it needs is some dev love and community support laugh

veteran
veteran
If you want to stick to "x Engine" formula so badly then why not "Larian Engine" or even "LarEngine", haha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard