Print Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Asyreon #463535 22/04/13 06:35 AM
Arhu Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Interactivity

Something I'd like to see about interactivity is that NPCs talk about it more, or about items and mundane, but real things, in general. I mean, we can do all sort of things in the world, move all sorts of objects -- but I'm wondering if it's "just there" or if it actually has meaning for the NPCs in relation to the player characters.

Simple things, like "Could you fetch me that stool? I'm feeling dizzy." And you do, because you can. Or a master smith telling his prentice about various weapon types, or guards practicing with them on different types of targets.

Usually RPGs are very pragmatic in that regard. You got your quests, NPCs that talk about quests, locked doors that need to be opened and enemies to be killed. Most of it is story or combat related, the artwork and items themselves are only "there" (since there is no interactivity anyway).

Do You Like Dreams?
Arhu #463539 22/04/13 07:57 AM
Arhu Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
While reading through the Codex preview and the bugged bed in Divinity ...

- Bedrolls & Resting

Can we have bedrolls? Need to have that if you want to camp outside -- if you don't, you'll get frostbite (or mana/health won't refill to full after a not-so-good night's sleep).

Different qualities of rest places could be interesting, too. Sleep in a premium bed in an inn and get stat bonuses for an entire day (could choose the quality based on $$ like in real life); sleep in cold, damp corner of a dungeon and get cranky in the morning.

- Bucket helmets & Pumpkins

If you put a too large bucket on your head without working on it first, perception is reduced to zero.

Same for all other sorts of things you can put on your head, like blankets or white sheets to dress as a ghost.

[Linked Image]

Maybe different types of helmets should reduce perception too, somewhat -- shouldn't matter too much for a melee fighter, but a ranger would be better served with a simple skull cap or leather cap than a full plate helmet with shut visor.

The other PC will react to silly hats upon seeing them (laugh, for instance).

- Darkness effects

If your PC is affected by a darkness spell (or big bucket on their head), the screen gets really dark. Some other UI effects for various spells could be fun, too. Like fear disabling all but the flee buttons, crazy illusion spells and so on.

Arhu #463543 22/04/13 10:01 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Arhu
While reading through the Codex preview and the bugged bed in Divinity ...

- Bedrolls & Resting

Can we have bedrolls? Need to have that if you want to camp outside -- if you don't, you'll get frostbite (or mana/health won't refill to full after a not-so-good night's sleep).

Different qualities of rest places could be interesting, too. Sleep in a premium bed in an inn and get stat bonuses for an entire day (could choose the quality based on $$ like in real life); sleep in cold, damp corner of a dungeon and get cranky in the morning.

- Bucket helmets & Pumpkins

If you put a too large bucket on your head without working on it first, perception is reduced to zero.

Same for all other sorts of things you can put on your head, like blankets or white sheets to dress as a ghost.

[Linked Image]

Maybe different types of helmets should reduce perception too, somewhat -- shouldn't matter too much for a melee fighter, but a ranger would be better served with a simple skull cap or leather cap than a full plate helmet with shut visor.

The other PC will react to silly hats upon seeing them (laugh, for instance).

- Darkness effects

If your PC is affected by a darkness spell (or big bucket on their head), the screen gets really dark. Some other UI effects for various spells could be fun, too. Like fear disabling all but the flee buttons, crazy illusion spells and so on.

Embrace the darkness, if they get the 1M dollars wether will afect spells so maybe on a fogy night necromancy will be more potent. That would be nice laugh

Death and glory!
journeyman
journeyman
[Linked Image]
Amazing animal isnt it laugh I wish Larian has gryphons next to dragons.

Last edited by Marius Voinescu; 22/04/13 10:04 AM.

Death and glory!
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I'd like to ask a question but did no found appropriate topic. So let it be here.
The question is about co-op game.
How it would be implemented- i mean if i have one copy of the game and want to play with my wife - will it be possible to install the game on two different PCs and play co-op? or it would be installed only on one computer and we'll need to play from different controllers? or co-op regime is accessible only with 2 copies of the game?

Last edited by yaroslav; 22/04/13 03:58 PM.
yaroslav #463611 22/04/13 05:29 PM
old hand
old hand
You should buy two copies (which is quite cheap if you buy during the kickstart). The general rule of thumb is that if you have a drm free copy of the game you can install it on multiple computers but you should only be running one copy at a time.
-
I think that is why they are selling the dual-pack so cheap on the kickstart; for people like you....

Last edited by meme; 22/04/13 09:28 PM.
Arhu #463616 22/04/13 06:28 PM
stranger
stranger
I'd love to see some sort of combat log. Also a hex grid made out of the terrain instead of typical bright lines.

Jaddeth #463646 22/04/13 10:55 PM
veteran
veteran
In some cases, there are items that are supposed to be hidden for the player to explore and actually search. What I think would be a good reward to teach players to search would be a flag for pickupable/interactable items: "Does not show up on press of ALT key".

Stabbey #463699 23/04/13 11:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I too believe that the alt key shouldn't give away everything because otherwise you'll be pressing that thing the entire playthrough.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Rod Lightning #463708 23/04/13 01:29 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread, PLEASE put in optional keyboard movement outside of battles! WASD would be nice smile

Arhu #464416 25/04/13 10:30 PM
apprentice
apprentice
- What about the possibility to modify the inclination of an item while holding it, using the arrow key ? That could lead to even trickier puzzles.

- A return of the Animal Statues, from DD, but with an improved usefulness (not hard I guess) : With the animal empathy feature incoming, we could have more developped interactions with animals if they recognize you as a peer. Let's say that they'll be inclined to help you if they can trust you, leading them to share a few secrets.
Another use of it would be to access new parts of an area which would otherwise be out of reach (Ex: Holes, sewers, anything that require you to be tiny).

- Blood should have the same properties as water (I have no idea to what extent will the gore be added, but if you cut an enemy's member, it is to be expected that the ground will be covered by his blood. It could be interesting to use it as a tool rather than a stylized effet).
If you can turn the gore off, the effect would be disable as well, of course.

- Deeper interactions with some objects (Playing piano for example, why not even singing while your partner is playing).
Yes I know it's useless (unless it's integrated in a quest ?), it's rather for the sake of having fun for a second.

- I remember some foes from Final Fantasy that requested something from you, an item, while fighting. If you did help them (it was part of a side-quest), you would get goodies.
It lead me to think, could you help an enemy while fighting, and if yes what would be the consequences ? Would he change his mind ? What about if you could do something else than fighting ?
Maybe... It could be an idea for a side-quest.

- An auction house, which would sometimes organize an auction and where you could have the chance to buy rare items.

- UFO ? (Mardaneus, watch out for your statue next time)

Last edited by Asyreon; 26/04/13 02:27 PM.
Asyreon #464495 26/04/13 12:38 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I think that this is not much of a cost in term of time and money, and it is very important for immersion.

I am talking about variation of avatars, 3d models and responds from irrelevant (or less important) NPCs. It really broke my immersion when I see that all citizens, merchants, gards, bandits and other npcs look all the same and have all the same answers about particilur topics. I think it is really not much of a job to ask a couple of Larian artists to spend a couple of days in creating a bunch of small avatars icons, that will be linked to those npcs.

The same thing is for items, I don't like when I see that all items look identical (having a dozen of swords that are identical , and the only difference is in stats isn't cool at all).

I think work on this does not require a lot of resources in terms of people needed, time and money, and will do a lot for the immersion.

Last edited by Sawovsky; 27/04/13 12:38 AM.
Sawovsky #464505 26/04/13 01:51 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I'd love flying companions like a Gryphon, Dragon/Drake (dragon probably too big) or something similar. Also pet naming too? laugh

Jenga #464643 26/04/13 07:38 PM
stranger
stranger
I wish to be able to rotate the camera (at least a bit) in game.

Zep--

Zep-- #464704 27/04/13 12:20 AM
Support
Support

The camera angle is fixed. Once that decision was made the artists were able to take some shortcuts (not creating walls, etc, that would be hidden), so officially supporting camera rotation would trigger a lot of extra work. Someone from Larian did say that it would probably be possible for someone to use the editor to mod the camera, though.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Asyreon #464721 27/04/13 03:40 AM
stranger
stranger
Hotkeys, lots and lots of hotkeys. Let me press 1 to choose the first dialog option, things like that.

I know the game will not support controllers, but if we have everything hotkeyed it makes it easy to cobble together a profile in Pinnacle or Xpadder.

Raze #464726 27/04/13 05:11 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Raze

The camera angle is fixed. Once that decision was made the artists were able to take some shortcuts (not creating walls, etc, that would be hidden), so officially supporting camera rotation would trigger a lot of extra work. Someone from Larian did say that it would probably be possible for someone to use the editor to mod the camera, though.

Welcome to the forum. wave

When they were showcasing the editor in the stream, they have shown camera rotating and I think David mentioned that in custom created modules, there will be no restrictions on camera rotation unless specifically set in the options.

Arhu #464857 27/04/13 02:44 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
On combat

In the play videos it was shown that a player could fire for example a fireball at an NPC, which would then start combat mode. Hopefully this same feature is going to be available to NPCs and monsters too. Some ideas:

The local merchants ask you to collect debts from some guy. What they forget to tell you is that they have asked a few other people to collect the same debt and none have been seen since. You could ask around to learn the truth, but because you're not very smart, you just go to guy directly. So you question him and maybe threaten him and so on and he says that OK, he's going to get the money because he doesn't want any trouble. So the conversation ends, but instead what he does is throw a Bomb of Paralyzation at you and kill you.

It should also be possible for enemies to escape combat if you don't know where they are. For example:

You're strolling through the woods when all of a sudden your best-buddy companion Richard the Noble Knight hits you with his sword, starting combat mode. He won't give up, forcing you to kill him. Combat ends. So you're wondering what happened, when your character all of a sudden starts walking by himself into the mouth of the Controlling Brain. Since you were exploring the woods by yourself and your companion is now dead, there won't be combat mode and you cannot bring Scarlet in time to save you from this fate.

So...
1. Allow NPCs and monsters to get a first shot at you before starting combat mode. Even if it's only through scripting it would open some possibilities.
2. Allow bad things to happen outside of combat mode if there is no real combat happening. Like your character gets paralyzed by a trap but no one is attacking you, or your character get mind-controlled.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Marius Voinescu
[Linked Image]
Amazing animal isnt it laugh I wish Larian has gryphons next to dragons.

I second this. Hopefully, they are considered as pets in the D:OS game.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
henryv #464861 27/04/13 03:05 PM
old hand
old hand
Optional bikini armour.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard