Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
hello everyone.
so i'd just like to know, does anyone know if there will be a boxed copy of dragon commander?
i already have a key from the kickstarter but i'm a sucker for physical editions.
thanks smile

veteran
veteran
Probably, on Swen's blog there's an entry saying that it's foolish to just shrug and go all digital, writing off the retail box market entirely.

There will be more details closer to release I imagine.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
hmm...
well if they do, i guess i'll do a giveaway of the digital copy.

old hand
old hand
Yes, there will be physical copies. They have several distributors for all the regions.

veteran
veteran
Deadalic will distribute box copies of DC in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and CD Projekt will distribute box copies in Poland and Focus in France. I don't know which company will distribute the game in the US or UK and other countries but I don't think that there won't be physical copies of DC in these countries (at least I hope so).... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 29/04/13 11:59 PM.

WOOS
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Deadalic will distribute box copies of DC in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and CD Projekt will distribute box copies in Poland and Focus in France. I don't know which company will distribute the game in the US or UK and other countries but I don't think that there won't be physical copies of DC in these countries (at least I hope so).... wink

i hope a good company distributes it in the UK, all of the distributors in this country are horrible.
they hire people who know less about gaming than their customers to work as cashiers.

veteran
veteran
Release is just around the corner now....the clock is ticking away the last seconds as we are just about 2 months from release. I hope the US boxed copies will be DRM free. I'm already getting a digital copy from my D:OS pledge though so if it comes down to it I can probably opt for a GOG download on that one.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Although you should worry about the GOG release; Larian is using steamworks for multiplayer mode. Can one still do multiplayer with a Larian Vault/GOG build?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotrotk
Although you should worry about the GOG release; Larian is using steamworks for multiplayer mode. Can one still do multiplayer with a Larian Vault/GOG build?

Personally I don't really care about multiplayer at all. I am in it for the awesome story. Though I imagine they may have a solution similar to D:OS.

journeyman
journeyman
I think Steamworks is an option for those who want it, not a requirement.

old hand
old hand
My guess is that it will be the same as original sin. That you can do it with either Steamworks (if it is the steam version) or direct ip. Maybe there will be more possbilities.

veteran
veteran
Larian is still implementing a "new" network solution for both DC and D:OS I think....so stay tuned until they'll tell us more about it... wink

WOOS
D
stranger
stranger
D
That you can do it with either Steamworks (if it is the steam version) or direct ip.

It's unlikely that either D:OS or DC will have Steamworks integration. Steamworks has built-in DRM, but the Kickstarter explicitly promised DRM-free copies. This doesn't preclude two different versions of the game, but I've only ever seen that happen in re-releases.

veteran
veteran
No, there will actually be copies both with Steamworks, and copies that are not for those who do not want to use Steam.

old hand
old hand
Steam in itself has DRM, but people are still free to choose that version if they want. For those that do not want DRM, there are Larian Vault copies or just GOG. There are still lots of people that prefer the steam version, even if steam itself has DRM, just because it manages the patches and has steamworks for easy mod management. The game will just not have any extra DRM on top of whatever channel (be that steam, gog, ...) you choose.

But don't worry, the game will not rely on anything from steam or different if you dont want it too.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Steam in itself has DRM, but people are still free to choose that version if they want.

The thing about Steamworks is that it locks the game to the Steam service, necessitating the developers to produce and maintain two separate versions if there is to also be a DRM-free edition of the game. As I said, that's not impossible, but I'm surprised if this is the case and I'd be interested to hear more details about how Larian will be handling this split.

But don't worry, the game will not rely on anything from steam or different if you dont want it too.

Yes, I'm aware, though this does open up concerns about fragmentation of the multiplayer community. Again, interested in hearing more details about how D:OS and DC will be handling this.

veteran
veteran
Copies from Steam, the Larian Vault, and GoG can play with each other, but not through Steamworks, obviously. You'll have to know the IP of the host you want to connect to in that case. Larian doesn't think this is a game to be played with a random guy you don't know.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Larian doesn't think this is a game to be played with a random guy you don't know.

Campaign mode, I'm totally in agreement. I wouldn't dream of starting such a large-scale match with strangers. Once-off skirmishes, on the other hand, seem perfect for casual multiplayer as they'd be in that sweet spot of 10-15 minutes and are fairly lightweight and focused.

I don't mind small multiplayer communities. In fact, I kinda like it when there's only a few hundred active players and you actually get to know the regulars who play in the same time zone as you.

journeyman
journeyman
If they add individual battles on single maps then it could support "random battles" just fine. Hopefully they implement single battles as well. Also, perhaps smaller maps with just a handful of territories would work well too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darvin
Larian doesn't think this is a game to be played with a random guy you don't know.

Campaign mode, I'm totally in agreement. I wouldn't dream of starting such a large-scale match with strangers. Once-off skirmishes, on the other hand, seem perfect for casual multiplayer as they'd be in that sweet spot of 10-15 minutes and are fairly lightweight and focused.

I don't mind small multiplayer communities. In fact, I kinda like it when there's only a few hundred active players and you actually get to know the regulars who play in the same time zone as you.

Oops, I thought I was in the Original Sin thread. Yes, Dragon Commander should be fine for semi-casual multiplayer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard