Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#467740 27/06/13 04:52 PM
Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I have been searching the forums, forgive me if this was asked and I missed it.

Will the game world have respawns? such as monsters.home items and store supplies after it is stolen.

the reason I ask is I hope the game just does not end..when you beat it. I personally enjoy just running around dungeon diving or crafting more.

Also curious if perhaps player housing add-on might be in sighs in the future? range from a small cabin to a full castle.

Another idea with the living world, is I can totally see someone trying to make an online world (if they can get the engine to support enough players to connect)

*smiles* I know I am going to try and make a roleplayer friendly world.

journeyman
journeyman
They've mentioned a couple of times during the campaign that there won't be any respawning monsters/animals/people/etc. (iirc. Swen detests it), only healing (at a speed yet to be decided) of hurt ones you didn't finish off.

I *think* they'll periodically restock store supplies - and maybe even replace personal items - in a sort of mini-simulation of the economy, though. (I feel reminded of the one "quest" that got mentioned a couple of times in which if a particular N.P.C. doesn't get his sword back or any other sword from the P.C.s within a certain amount of time, he'll just go buy himself a new one. - Maybe he doesn't have enough money for it if you don't give him any, though? It's been a while.)

Hmm... are there N.P.C. hunters doing their job? If so, normal animals may respawn, I guess.

Personally I think it'd be cool if you could totally screw up the ecosystem (like apparently one theoretically could in vanilla Ultima Online), but the next best thing is that if you kill it, it's dead and can't reproduce. (Not that I'd expect any reproducing going on - aside from potential special events - anyway, no matter how many nights you rest in-game.)

If you want more dungeon diving, well, that's what user-created content is for. Same for mundane player-housing. Seems easy enough to me. Dunno, you may even be able to get a key to a house of your own during the official campaign. I'm perfectly happy - ecstatic, even - with the Shelter Plane at the End of Time, though.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I think they've said there'll be a valid story reason for not allowing you to continue after you beat the final main quest. Might be confusing it with another game, though.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
I smell a MMO player wink It's ok, it needs one to spot one smile

Serious, all games do use mechanics which have all their ups and downs.
MMO's live from being able to jump in at anytime for every player.

The big drawback is that the whole game is, what call, 'cyclic' in nature.
There is no ending but also no beginning, whatever is done in the world, it is undone after a short moment.
As much MMO's can be nice for group action, I ever had big issues with that cyclic nature as it took for me the illusion to achieve something, to make a difference by freeing an area from monsters and really make a difference for a village they terrorized.
With a cyclic game style like MMO's have story telling is as good as impossible as there is no progress (until the producer themself decide to turn a page with an add-on and update the servers).

I think a lot of people who grew up with the Divinity games and similar games appreciate that feeling of accomplishment and impacting the world in a lasting way.

A compromise could be maybe that an area which got thinned out by monsters can have monsters move back in after a more or less long period as a criminal would be also replaced after a while by a new one filling the niche.
But that would just happen over a long time period, long enough to not effect when most people just play through the quests but if they really hang in the are for a looong time.
I love the idea even that would not fit for this game as this one is really story driven an dnot by economical or eccological factors.

Maybe Larian can make one day another game with the rpg depth of their titles but which focusses more on 'simulating' a world where adventurers do not just fight monsters, loot dungeons and move on like a locust after all is 'consumed' but can (by choice or by game play) also decide to help an area by changing their kill'n'loot life and instead turn into community assistance by helping settlements from tiny farms to villages through training a militia, fortifying the settlements, creating so prestige or do the opposite, trying to take over and defend themself and their 'rubble' against other players or npc's.
At least that would be a nice alternative to that awfully static MMO worlds which get quickly boring to me one I explored all areas.
Even I would like such a game, I am still happy that LArian makes story-based games and I am sure they will keep doing those besides new ideas like DC.

Sorry that went a bit off topic. Maybe that would be somehting for another thread in the LArian forum somewhere smile

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh I am in no way saying there should not be impact, but if I buy a game..I would like one I can enjoy for more then a few days. Beat it and done. I do know there will be user content...but am sure most of that will require starting over. As each unique created world will want to tell their story from the start....I often love my characters and get sad when they reach that black void at the end( the wall of credits)

There could be land impact still! but as mentioned monsters could move back into areas.. I mean I find it highly unlikely that the one bandit camp I kill..will be the only badnit camp in that area. Hehe lil things like that.

I also would think a simple respawner would be easy to add to the game ^-^ *fingers crossed*

enthusiast
enthusiast
eh..I don't know how many Larian games you've played, but most of them(if not all smile ) are not a couple of days and done..but it depends on playstyle ofc..I'm a completionist and I easily spent some months on DD smile and i was unemployed atm so I played A LOT smile

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I played the first one. I am not so much into doing every tiny little task. Sometimes if I am just feeling ill that day I just like wandering around fighting monsters. With this being turn based I love it even more...adore turn based games. Just get sad when everything is dead

journeyman
journeyman
We are obviously very much opposite breeds. I enjoy good combat (of any kind - be that Fire Emblem, Icewind Dale, Deus Ex or Kingdom Hearts) as much as the next guy, but endlessly needing to clear the way again and again and again when I want to go somewhere is nothing but tiresome and frustrating to me. Plus, it robs me of a sense of accomplishment.

Also, depending on the game (world), it can be extremely immersion-breaking.

Baldur's Gate had limited respawning and to me got away with most of it as there are many, many gaps in the region without a dedicated map, which allows for enemies to move back in from unimportant areas my party never could have cleared out even if it wanted to.

Afaik. the maps of Original Sin all directly border each other, though, so where are any respawns of larger critters supposed to come from?

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh does not need to be a clearing issue, there could be small camps that respawn if players wish, dungeons could have a respawn. I am not saying every single creature. There could be a happy medium for everyone I am sure ^_^ as for where they come from. Imagination my dear friend. Just because you kill three who is to say there is not 10 on the side of the valley? ^_- and empty game is a dead game and that leaves play value low for me anyway. If I want to just clear a game and have it end...well I have other games that do that...and now view them as wasted buys.

apprentice
apprentice
I agree, the thought of everything being dead and gone is a bit sad. I guess you have to make a few sacrifices though. Hopefully the game world will be big enough so that there's always something good to fight. Of course, maybe we will be able to add in respawning creatures ourselves with the help of the tools the game comes with laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
let's not forget the editor people smile can count for replay/longeivity value
Originally Posted by twincast
We are obviously very much opposite breeds. I enjoy good combat (of any kind - be that Fire Emblem, Icewind Dale, Deus Ex or Kingdom Hearts) as much as the next guy, but endlessly needing to clear the way again and again and again when I want to go somewhere is nothing but tiresome and frustrating to me. Plus, it robs me of a sense of accomplishment.

Also, depending on the game (world), it can be extremely immersion-breaking.

Baldur's Gate had limited respawning and to me got away with most of it as there are many, many gaps in the region without a dedicated map, which allows for enemies to move back in from unimportant areas my party never could have cleared out even if it wanted to.

Afaik. the maps of Original Sin all directly border each other, though, so where are any respawns of larger critters supposed to come from?

I'm more like you, I like fighting,but not killing the same enemies over and over.No respawn is a good respawn

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
As twincast pointed it out. There are different breeds of players. MMO's are all centered around on one thing only and that is to increase your alts values in an endless grinding to keep the players tied to the game like a junkie to his supplier.

If people enjoy just playing one game and one game only then this is fine for them. But luckily there games which are story driven which also require to some degree to grind your alt to progress int he story but where the games main purpose is to tell its story and the grinding not is not the end in itself.

The reason why MMO's keep flooding the market, even that market is already way over saturated, is because they want to produce constant cash flows and game balancing is less of an issue as the focus is on the endless xp grinding, emphasis on endless.
To keep the dough rolling for the comanies the player must not ever reach an end.

In that case I think you are better off trying another, new MMO instead of games based on the story as they all have a beginning AND will eventually end.
Guild Wars 2 is quite nice with a focus on team play.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
addict
addict
I am against respawning,too. Its just annoying when you go into an area you cleared earlier and all the people thanked you for that and celebrated you as a hero nut in reality you wait just five minutes and the enemys are back.

If it fits into the story, like when i killed a big fat troll and some time later the village has now a big problem with many little orcs instead a small problem with one troll, it would enjoyable but mostly its just annoying killing enemys you killed before and then getting only +1 EP.

Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Well...I don't think I should just give up on Divinity, it was just a question and possible suggestion. People get way to up in arms over a tiny question and suggestion..I do apologize but even single player games with great story have had respawns....I have played many many MMOs, and the community is horrible...I am a tad offended being suggested to go to an MMO because I am being viewed as a "zerg" player? combat is far from all I enjoy. Also even if I did enjoy combat, that is no reason to tell someone to go to Guild wars 2 (which I have played and its horrid, support players are not needed)... I adore turn based games and love the ideas being put into combat.

journeyman
journeyman
Personally I hate respawns. I don't mind games that include them to a limited degree (e.g. Morrowind), but on the whole I prefer dead enemies to stay dead. I'm playing Planescape: Torment at the moment, and the endless respawning bandits in the Hive are driving me crazy - as is the fact that if I enter a dungeon and kill some enemies, then retreat to rest and heal, all of them are back the moment I re-enter. At least give us a grace period of a day or two before the respawns!

As for D:OS, my guess is that it'll be similar to Divine Divinity, which didn't have respawns. But you never know.

Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
oh my goodness not that fast of a respawn =p I mean maybe after like 10 hours camps would respawn. or it could be adjusted in the options menu ^-^ either way I do hope they add in a way for players to make respawning items and monsters.

journeyman
journeyman
If I remember well, there will be a "infinite" or 'reasonably large' area which will be the place to fight (the forest thing). If I remember well, monster will respawn here.

Like that, you can have your fun, but out of the story.... And, as Swen said : "we saw we outpassed our target timelife" ... I think we will have enough to do ^^

Ellary Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
See that would be wonderful! a forest you can visit that way the ones who wish to just blow through the game can, and those who want to take it slow and idly hunt monsters for a bit can as well.

Could always have an Ultima style respawn where enemies pop back the second they go off frame. Was great for farming experience, but not so much for exploring, haha.

But I like no repawns personally because it feels like you are having an impact on the world for good or bad. I remember getting bored of Elder Scrolls Oblivion and decided to do a pure evil playthrough and kill everyone in every town in Cyrodill, almost worked too until I visited a town I previously wiped out and everyone was running around all willy nilly like nothing had ever happened.

Now true, you never want to see your favorite townsfolk die and never come back, but hey, that what that reload buttons for. thankyou reload button. silly

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
apprentice
apprentice
It's funny -- I find myself agreeing with both sides here. On the one hand I am one of those that hates the dead, empty feeling of a world where enemies never respawn; but I am also very easily irritated by having to wade through battle after battle just to get somewhere.

I would be very pleased with a happy medium scenario -- maybe very slow/limited respawns. If you kill all the bears you can find, that shouldn't lead to the end of bears in that world. Maybe the bear population stays dead for, say, an in-game week, and the slowly starts to rise again, perhaps capping at a lower point than what it started with so you don't run into that scenario where everything is like you were never there.

If they won't put that in as a part of the base game (and it sounds like they won't) then hopefully we can use the editor to make some enemy respawning mods, as dwelfusius mentioned.

journeyman
journeyman
On a pure ROleplay concern, it should not respawn ... I mean "hey guys, I killed everyone here, do you want to come at the same place ? "

In your playing time, saying one year (in the game, and i'm unsure of it), Some wolf shall come back, but no goblins ... or humans (1 year is not enough to make people come back in town, I think)

But hey, it's not realistic, so, the dev may do what they want ^^ and no respawn in the global world seems to be an idea you can be happy with. No farming here, the idea is to live a great story. There is no point in tactical combats if you are overpowered (even the fun flies away as you destroy everything in one attack)... Yeah, on FF7, it was fun though, but there were the ARMS.

And, for farming, the forest should be here, and this is cool too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard