Next Thread
Print Thread
#469665 18/07/13 10:14 AM
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
while I have been having fun, I can't help but think this could have been made differently. I could see this game being set up like a DOTA/head to head Tower defense game. instead of building factories and churning out a blob of death, I could imagine instead the building continually produce troopers which would be incredibly weak and ineffective. the troopers would follow a set path to the next capture point and you use the other units like hunters and warlocks to clear a path and defend captured points and bases. every trooper spawned or killed will drain your population (tickets). The goal of the battle, to destroy the enemy's main base or deplete their "tickets"

I guess what I am trying to say is, I could very well imagine the battle phase playing like the game Airmech.

The generals could each have their own unique supermech of sorts and you could bring one of them into battle to back you up.

journeyman
journeyman
Well, maybe there's an idea to add different game modes later, if the game works well. Or you could do it, such as DotA was, if there's a map editor.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yeah, I think it might be a nice idea for a mod, but I don't think it would work as a total replacement for the RTS part.

addict
addict
A powerful editor will be able to do it. I don't know how powerful the editor is going to be, though.

Also, please people, don't push your own visions and dreams as a "they should have done it this way".

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
journeyman
journeyman
I would rather any alterations like that to be made after the game has been released as a mod. I really wouldn't like to play a Divinity based MOBA, as that would really annoy my happiness in that respect. I'd play LoL if I wanted that kind of fix.

I'm also known as Tovarah.
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
It wouldn;t be a MOBA. A more accurate description would be an Action RTS. seriously Play Airmech, it is free to play and small download, you will see what I mean, I just don't know how people can really defend the "RTS", if you could call it that, section of the game. all the gameplay is at the moment is "Build all the things, Zerg rush"

Last edited by Argol228; 18/07/13 11:22 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
??? Not at all here, it's a build a big armie and .... You didn't have any anti air and your doom come from balloons, or from a different place ... And that's not all, the dragon is still here.

I can at least guarantee that "Build all the things, Zerg rush" strategy is gonna make you lose bigtime against anyone with just a little experience.

And playing this like a moba would be really really boring.

Last edited by watser; 18/07/13 11:49 AM.
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Grinsevent
??? Not at all here, it's a build a big armie and .... You didn't have any anti air and your doom come from balloons, or from a different place ... And that's not all, the dragon is still here.
Originally Posted by watser
I can at least guarantee that "Build all the things, Zerg rush" strategy is gonna make you lose bigtime against anyone with just a little experience.

And playing this like a moba would be really really boring.

You both miss the point. I don't care for a multiplayer experience with such a lackluster RTS. If I want a real RTS multiplayer experience I will play Starcraft, or Total war. what I want is a fun single player game set in the universe I love, and this game fails to give me that because of the RTS phase. I am glad I did not buy this game, got it via Original sin kickstarter, if it isn't fixed by release, which I doubt, this will be the first Divinity game I will not care about.

Wouldn't it be more relevant to make suggestions to the RTS part then?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Argol228
while I have been having fun, I can't help but think this could have been made differently. I could see this game being set up like a DOTA/head to head Tower defense game.

Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, awful. No.

Trying to make a DOTA clone would probably be an exceptionally bad idea. DOTA is best at being DOTA, and the DOTA players are playing... DOTA.

This game's gimmick is managing your troops and Dragon at the same time. If you only have to manage your Dragon, the game would be much less interesting, and it would stand out much less because "oh, it's that DOTA clone where instead of 100 heroes to pick from, you can only be a Dragon. Meh."

This game is probably not for you.

addict
addict
As Stabbey points out.

Also, I'd like you to go out and actually USE unit abilities and then return to tell us how simple the RTS is.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
journeyman
journeyman
Similar to stabbey,and argol228, the game is rts, and action where you also micro your dragon. However it's not starcraft, it's more like warcraft (Having a hero on the field) And for anyone interested, warcraft is also where dota started from, a custom map.
It would be kind of cool if theres custom settings for the map to make custom stories or minigames using the editor, like blizzards editors for their games. :P However considering what we've seen so far I'm ok without, wouldn't be a huge disappointment, and I could imagine it being a LOT of work, and involve having to rework a lot of hard written scripting even.
Sorry for being off topic :P

The WC mod editor had its severe limits, but it gave birth to many great maps and it made the game attractive for people who weren't RTS fans. Now the mod tool which will be included in D:OS is something where it will be possible for us to create these maps.

G
stranger
stranger
G
keep MOBAs in the F2P realm, please and thank you.

apprentice
apprentice
honestly I think the main point of fun will be just the whole dragon form and single player for me. I wont likely be playing Dragon Commander as extensively as say... EU4 or perhaps Rome II Total War. Those will get hundreds of hours. Dragon Commander will likely get tens of hours and possible upwards to a hundred or more...

But still worth the price to me. Bioshock infinite i only played 20 hours or so but it was still a incredible game experience while it lasted.

Last edited by Magus65; 18/07/13 06:16 PM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Argol228
I could see this game being set up like a DOTA/head to head Tower defense game.

I wouldn't want that in general, but I think there could certainly be maps created with much fewer construction sites for buildings and a bunch of turret sites. An ally factory set to churn out troopers with a rally point at the enemy base would effectively make a tower defence map (as a separate mode). Tower defence elements in certain maps could add a bit of variety to the main RTS.

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard