Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#467239 17/06/13 03:39 PM
meme Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I finished my second play through (as wizard). I originally played the game back in 2004? 2003? 2005? as warrior. My memory of the original play through is a bit shakey as I had a year gap between start and end (at some point was stuck due to bug and when I went back to the game a patch had fixed the bug).
-
These comments reflect thoughts between original play through and second play through based on flaw memory of today:

a) Writing is a bit corny/childish. I didn't remember this the first time nor do I remember anything of this nature in DKS (which i will replay soon) but I found the key spoke lines near the end of the game a bit of a let down (actual words seemed a bit corny to the extent of distracting from the game).

b) Graphics were fine - bit surprise the graphics didn't really bother me as that was one of my chief complaints when the game first came out (in fact I even sent a note to Larian with said complaint to which swen responded that most liked the graphics - it was a side comment to a bug in which he pointed to a patch that fixed the bug.

c) game is too easy if you use walk through but almost too hard if you don't. Ok for this play through I used a walk through in many parts to accelerate the game and avoid some of the quest breaking moves I made the first time. What i found is that my super buff maged walk through the waste land to end without much of an effort at all (as mage). On my first play through as warrior I struggled in the last section of the game on normal loading many times and almost giving up twice. Balance is always difficult to get right and I'm don't want to start a long debate here. Unfortunately I do not have my original saves and can't compare the end build of my warrior but my mage was silly powerful mostly due to huge number of charms (in the original play through I took what I found and that was that smile
-
This time around I played the GOG version with Raze provided music patch. There were a few bugs and crashes and the 'HD' stuff was overblown and I generally found the wide screen resolutions not all that useful esp how the main screen was handled (which was quite ugly). I ended up using the default resolution on my 22 inch monitor and letting the monitor do the scaling.
-
Hum. Why post these comments. Not sure they have a lot of value - I guess the three shockers:
a) The graphics didn't bother me now in 2013 and they did back in 2003/2004
b) Using a walk through makes the game too easy and the game difficulty (with regards to combat) heavily depends on equipment and therefore luck of the draw. I suspect it might even be possible to get a build that can't finish the game if the luck is horrible.
c) Bit surprise that written/spoken words could turn me off as being immature frown
-
I really want to play DKS again and check the writing because I simply do not remember this being an issue - then again I didn't remember it being an issue the original time I played it.

meme #467241 17/06/13 08:01 PM
Support
Support

It is possible to end up fairly over powered as a warrior, as well, if you complete everything, make the best use of the bonus levels in the game (wishing well, imp world jug and to a lesser extent the blessing ceremony), reload for equipment, etc.

Merchant inventories reset every 10 or 15 minutes real time, so even without any reloading, you shouldn't end up too under powered that a change of tactics (etc) couldn't help, unless you really missed a good chunk of the game. Actually, in the old Larian forum Ariana described a playthrough trying for the lowest level finish; she did the blessing ceremony at level 12, so was level 17 at the start of the wastelands. This involved a lot of saving and reloading to get through the required fights (like the succubus), though, so she quit at that point.

Raze #467270 18/06/13 05:32 PM
stranger
stranger
The game is $2.99 in GOG. No one can complain in that price tag. Steam is better at least for me.

Last edited by Kuroneko; 18/06/13 05:33 PM.

Elfarran | Archer/Mage Class | Hard
meme #489050 12/04/14 10:45 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Yeah divine divinity was a bit cornish and childish but thats one of the things i loved about it. It was unique in its own way and i honestly have yet to find a old school rpg that was as great as divine divinity imo. It kept me interested the whole time. I never used walkthroughs and it was never too hard, i googled some stuff especially on my later play throughs to benefit me in the ways i wanted but generally i always loved playing divine divinity. I am playing Beyond divinity right now its alot of fun a bit more confusing and so far not as good as divine divinity but thats ok.

Also what is gog i know its good old games, but i keep seeing gog referenced everywhere. Did gog like revamp the games or something or do updates? Is the gog version of divine divinity very different???

meme #489071 12/04/14 12:37 PM
Support
Support

GOG is a digital distributor of DRM free games. They used to focus on old games (hence the original Good Old Games name), and do make sure old games work well on new systems, but also have newer and indie games.

The current GOG release is the same as any other digital version of the game. The first download version of DD was released just on GOG; with the Divinity Anthology release, other digital distributors (like Steam, Gamergate, etc) started carrying it.

meme #498929 10/06/14 02:32 AM
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Just getting into the game on my third attempt while waiting for D:OS (my CE is on order at a third party store so I am still waiting on CS to advise if I can have a temp Steam key to play).

I must say I am having fun, occasional crashes and obscure quests notwithstanding. The early area was a bit slow, maybe that's what put me off years ago (or maybe it was too much Diablo 2). I played a lot of Divinity II in the interim but it is nice to see where it all started. I am also curious to try the sequel when my CE arrives.

Gaming dinosaur!!
TonyD #500648 22/06/14 04:28 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Playing some DD, whilst I wait as well. I like the idea of going old to new...in this case a mere 12 years have gone by. I'ts hard to think my 15yr old was 3 when I purchased it. aargh

Last edited by daft73; 22/06/14 04:29 PM.

Click to reveal..
meme #500796 23/06/14 04:59 AM
F
stranger
stranger
F
holy shit raze you are still here. I remember you from like 2005. I was 11 years when i saw you, and now im 20 haha wow. ill make a statue of you if i get the chance

meme #500797 23/06/14 05:11 AM
Support
Support

I joined the old forum in 2002, just after Divine Divinity was released, and hung around long enough that Larian hired me as a forum mod a couple years ago. biggrin

meme #539173 07/08/14 08:05 PM
apprentice
apprentice
I just started playing DD (I played Divinity 2 Director's Cut first, then Original Sin and now this).

I'm still pretty early on I think but the controls can be really frustrating sometimes. (Also seem to be some weird glitches like I use control and attack and won't hit until I move and come back.)

Game balance seems really odd too, sometimes I can just slaughter things and then in the same area, there may be a boss who kills me in 2 hits.

(Also are there any graphics/sound mods?)

meme #539226 08/08/14 12:33 AM
Support
Support

There are no mods for the game.

meme #539265 08/08/14 02:27 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Raze, btw I got some stuffed doll of you in Original Sin laugh

Skolia #545776 19/08/14 09:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Skolia
Raze, btw I got some stuffed doll of you in Original Sin laugh

I've not encountered that but I'm not surprised tbh. He's in Divinity 2 as well and I think Larian have referenced him in both games because of how helpful he's been on the forums over the years. These forums wouldn't be the same without him, that's for sure and it's good of Larian to note that!

Frost102 #546205 20/08/14 03:50 PM
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Frost102
holy shit raze you are still here. I remember you from like 2005. I was 11 years when i saw you, and now im 20 haha wow. ill make a statue of you if i get the chance

oh it's been 9 years, so tell me what he was looks like? I mean was he still wear noble set armor just like his avatar? Or maybe you saw him still in his flying fortress with uthring's leggings waiting a dragon knight?

Last edited by Dsky Wong; 20/08/14 03:50 PM.
meme #595234 06/11/16 02:55 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
I always found it amusing that even though Raze has written thousands of pages about this game on the forums, he claims to have never played a survivor past the catacombs.

Support
Support

I've never really been attracted to survivor/assassin type builds in games with a single main character (or pure mages).

meme #595372 08/11/16 03:35 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by meme
almost too hard if you don't.

sounds perfect then.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard