Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Dear Larian, dear all,

I guess this will be "fixed" by Larian soonish after i post it here. None the less, it made playing DOS so much more fun for me and it HELPed a TON in many situation (e.g. see this thread: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=489086 )

So, on to 360 camera rotation (on Win7):

1) Go to your DOS Users folder (on my PC: C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName> where XXXXX stands for the User you are logged in)

2) There you will find the file "config.lsx". Open it.
[EDIT: if you do not change any options the game will not create a config file]

3) In the file find

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="GameCameraRotation" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="2" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="30" type="6" />

and replace 30 with 360.

4) Save the file and start DOS.

Voila, you can now rotate the camera 360.

Dear Larian, I did not find a single instance where i was put off by the models/graphics b/c of the 360 rotation. So, I do not understand why ristricting (or "fixing" the above) the camera rotation at all. hehe ;-)

Last edited by Raze; 10/05/14 02:53 AM. Reason: update path (changed due to profiles)

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I can confirm that this fix works for me. Thank you!

enthusiast
enthusiast
You just win my lifelong (ie, 30minutes) appreciation. This works, and it is awesome. Still leaves some occlusion problems, but at least you can now properly look at things and scenes. It gives you a FAR better grasp of an environment, and you can click on NPC's easier to boot.

can't believe I didn't see that. I looked at the config file before... hah

M
addict
addict
M
Awesome! You still need to constantly rotate the camera to see things blocked by walls - so it'd still be helpful if Larian could make the mouse pointer "cut through" obstacles to allow interaction with nearby objects in the same room - but this is huge. Thanks!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 4verse

Dear Larian, I did not find a single instance where i was put off by the models/graphics b/c of the 360° rotation. So, I do not understand why ristricting (or "fixing" the above) the camera rotation at all. hehe ;-)

I always assumed it was to cut down on the amount of work for the level designers, particularly with interiors. The two walls closest to the player (bottom of the screen) are usually lacking the detail compared to the top two (which will usually be riddled with things to interact with).

When screenshots of their game pop up, I'm sure they want people to see this:

[Linked Image]

instead of what's on the opposite side of that room:

[Linked Image]

..as the latter has the potential to hurt sales.

addict
addict
I have to say it would be a good thing to add permanently, especially if it never breaks the scene, ie missing textures, models optimized to be seen from one perspective only, etc.

Could make the player enjoy the various landscapes even more, as well as get a better understanding of some crowded situations.
I remember that back in the days of NWN, the camera was something that was clearly modded and it looked plain good...

edit:
Ah, yeah, those screens prove that not everything was designed with the possibility to turn the camera 360° in mind. Still I believe that... Maybe 90° would be good ? kind of, like, a left/right view.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 12/04/14 04:40 PM.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gyson

Usability beats perfect visuals for me ;P I can see why they restrict it, as you put it.. but for every area where there is problems I could link an outdoor shot where it looks superb. Maybe even more importantly, with this being enabled, modders could design scenes with that in mind for their own projects....

Either way, for me this adds so much to the game that I am now officially 50% more happy than before ;P (AI personalities are the other 50%)

Ps.: Also as someone who still enjoys NWN1 modules, to me an empty room is not a bad thing. Not every rooms needs to be filled with stuff. As long as it is lit well. (which sadly, a lot of the rooms are not, but that is probably a taste thing)

veteran
veteran
Nice tip. For me the angle was 30. The new angles look rather bland because you're not intended to see them, but it could be very useful in many situations, especially combat.

veteran
veteran
First time I hear NWN and looks good in the same sentance.

NWN was really ugly. A hard thing to watch after the beauty of Baldur's Gate II.

4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Gyson

I always assumed it was to cut down on the amount of work for the level designers, particularly with interiors. The two walls closest to the player (bottom of the screen) are usually lacking the detail compared to the top two (which will usually be riddled with things to interact with).

When screenshots of their game pop up, I'm sure they want people to see this:

img1

instead of what's on the opposite side of that room:

img2

I see you point. But my argument was actually purly my own opinion. I don't mind the "not so perfectness" of image 2. But again, I see your (and therefore Larian's) point.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

NWN was really ugly. A hard thing to watch after the beauty of Baldur's Gate II.

After some people modded in free camera view and a sky, it got better... But yeah, it was very disappointing after a BG game. Still I don't think it was the worst of real-time 3D.
That's actually the story of videogame progression : the first real-time 3D games were plain horrible, and they came just when 2D visuals were getting good. Nowdays, we have very few 2D games, but they look great... And I don't mean pixel-art games, but real hand-painted games, mostly point-and-clicks, like the Dark Eye adventure games, machinarium, Deponia...

Click to reveal..
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thanks so much for posting that, it makes a big difference.

Actually the comparatively bland views aren't as bad as I feared: some video games simply omit things completely that you aren't meant to see so you'd find gaps where there should be walls and stuff.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I still think Larian should put these kind of options in an "expert users only" menu because mods and user campaigns will surely want to play around with free camera view, and give us an option to change the angle and zoom distances, as well as the field of view, too ;P

Probably because nobody said that in this topic wink If you refer to me, I simply meant that I played NWN1 a lot more than BG2 and can live with barren rooms and odd low detail graphics as long as the story/writing is good, simply because good graphics do not make something a good RPG, ever.

And no, I do not mean NWN 1 or any of it's expansions were good RPG's. What made NWN good were the modules users created ;p Many of which are miles and miles ahead of any native/vanilla content. No doubt something D:OS can achieve as well, if the editor is powerful enough.

4verse Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
yeah, some kind of option with a big capital marker popping up saying something like:

"DO NOT USE 360° CAMERA ROTATION UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT YOU 100% DO UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAME'S GRAPHICS ARE NOT MADE FOR 360° CAMERA ROTATION. SOME DETAILS MAYBE MISSING. WE WARNED YOU! USE ON YOUR OWN RISK ONLY"

veteran
veteran
People wont read it.
I mean, HOW MANY TIMES does the game state it's Beta?

How many?

And now the next question... how many people seem to MISS that?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
Probably because nobody said that in this topic wink

I'm the happy culprit !

I remember that back in the days of NWN, the camera was something that was clearly modded and it looked plain good...

laugh

People wont read it.
I mean, HOW MANY TIMES does the game state it's Beta?

How many?

And now the next question... how many people seem to MISS that?

Well, at some points, "beta" isn't an argument anymore, you know ! I hate those games ostensibly displaying "pre-alpha footage" on pseudo-gameplay video, essentially because it's just a way to generate more buzz. Truth is the visuals aren't going to improve anymore and might even get worse at release !
Point is, often, the visual aspect of a game is one of the first thing to be done and finished. I for one seriously doesn't expect the graphists to go back to *every* map and add various details so that people wanting to use a 360° free camera won't complain it looks bad. More so, I seriously hope they won't be wasting their time doing such a pointless thing. It's just like the sky in NWN : there wasn't any, but people could still override the camera to look at its glorious non-existence.

This is probably it, the way it is now, and while it MAY improve, I don't think it will. Beta or not Beta.

Click to reveal..
stranger
stranger
I didn't even know it was possible to rotate the camera. What are the keyboard controls to do so, please?

apprentice
apprentice
Reading forums pays off YEEEES!

ok
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ShadowTigerZC
I didn't even know it was possible to rotate the camera. What are the keyboard controls to do so, please?

Normally the camera can be rotated by ~30 degrees. Holding down the middle mouse button and moving your mouse left and right will do it.

stranger
stranger
Ah, so I need a middle mouse button. I do not have such a thing.

Any way to do it on the keyboard? Or at least to map a key to emulate the middle mouse button? D: I think AutoHotKey may be able to do this, but .. hm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard