Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Boiorix Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hi!

What's the retail version good for, if there are only 2GB installed from the disc and i have to download 4GB through Steam?? 1 or 2 GB ok... BUT 4?? Thats just ridiculous!

Im downloading with max 180KB/s. So i can play in about 6 hours.. GREAT! That is relly annoying frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boiorix
Hi!

What's the retail version good for, if there are only 2GB installed from the disc and i have to download 4GB through Steam?? 1 or 2 GB ok... BUT 4?? Thats just ridiculous!

Im downloading with max 180KB/s. So i can play in about 4 hours.. GREAT! That is relly annoying frown

That's just normal business on PC nowadays. Larian care about D:OS and publish fixes and patches on a daily basis.

If you lack the speed just visit a buddy with good internet or go to an internet shop and download the update files to an USB stick. wink

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi!

Im downloading with max 180KB/s. So i can play in about 6 hours.. GREAT! That is relly annoying frown

It's also anoying to see a person register on the forums and the first post is a QQ post, but yeah gotta live with that i guess.

Larian had to send the code for the retail version some time ago when a lot of stuff wasn't even ready (like all the voices of the game) because of how retail distribution channels work.

It's a pain to download 4gb i understand it, but it's how PC and retail channels work most of the time, especialy on a game that was adding things to the game up to the previous day of launching... Retail distribution takes some time in advance to have the code on the DVD...

B
Boiorix Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by KnightPT

It's also anoying to see a person register on the forums and the first post is a QQ post...

So what? I have to post 200 Posts of how nice a game is, that i can't play, before i can criticise a game i have paid for?
It is nowhere to read, that the retail requires a 4GB download.
And i think that this is a useful information for everyone else who has such a slow or even slower connection.

Maybe it sounds like crying, but i think it is justified and i was really pissed off!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KnightPT

It's also anoying to see a person register on the forums and the first post is a QQ post...

So what? I have to post 200 Posts of how nice a game is, that i can't play, before i can criticise a game i have paid for?
It is nowhere to read, that the retail requires a 4GB download.
And i think that this is a useful information for everyone else who has such a slow or even slower connection.

Maybe it sounds like crying, but i think it is justified and i was really pissed off!

When was the last time you've bought a PC game???

Like I said, big day-one updates have become pretty normal in the last years.

WOOS
B
Boiorix Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I am constantly buying Games. The last one that had such a big download was Diablo 3 ROS. And i disagree, from my experience it is not that normal to download such big updates short after release for a retail version.

M
addict
addict
M
Weird, I only had 2GB to download till yesterday, I think.

Its also abnormal for a developer to work on a game up to release. Normally they just release the games terribly broken.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
You must not buy a lot of digital licenses for games then?

4 GB is pretty small. Even a 1080i movie these days are about 6-8 GB and that's not even interactive content

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by nstgc
Its also abnormal for a developer to work on a game up to release. Normally they just release the games terribly broken.

Or just cut all the features that aren't ready for the "gold master" one month before release...

WOOS
old hand
old hand
Hi!

That has been gaming now for a few years with many games. Even when you buy the disk, you still download. Nature of the beast.

I just hope they get all the important things copied on the non-steam dvd versions, otherwise we have to download huge patches from the Vault and install them manually? think

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
stranger
stranger
What i don't get is why i'm forced to be online to install the game even if i have the retail version... I wanted to play this on a pc (with steam and dome games previously installed) in a place with no internet connection (far, far away in the mountains :P ) but it's just impossible, as it requires steam to be online...

Steam has an offline mode, but you need to get things setup initially while online of course.

addict
addict
No it doesnt require Steam to be online. Where did you get that?
If you allowed automatic Updates Steam will always download new patches. I played it offline a lot of times. And i can assure the fun is still the same as online wink .

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Elrozzo
What i don't get is why i'm forced to be online to install the game even if i have the retail version... I wanted to play this on a pc (with steam and dome games previously installed) in a place with no internet connection (far, far away in the mountains :P ) but it's just impossible, as it requires steam to be online...

Obviously, you're able to get online, though, since you're posting here. Once it's done updating, you never have to connect to the internet again, and don't even need Steam running to play D:OS.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Jito463

Obviously, you're able to get online, though, since you're posting here.

Yes. i'm able to get online with THIS pc, but the problem is that i wanted to install the game on another pc without internet connection.
It's weird to me that i can't do that, as others retail edition of steam games (like empire total war) can be installed completely offline

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jito463

Obviously, you're able to get online, though, since you're posting here.

Yes. i'm able to get online with THIS pc, but the problem is that i wanted to install the game on another pc without internet connection.
It's weird to me that i can't do that, as others retail edition of steam games (like empire total war) can be installed completely offline

Buddy, the DVD version of Empire Total War is buggy as hell (like almost every Creative Assembly game at release). You need to download a lot of updates to play that game properly as well, so very poor example... wink

WOOS
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
4gb is actually low for current games, they usually go between 6 and 15 gigas these days.

old hand
old hand
What i don't get is why i'm forced to be online to install the game even if i have the retail version...

Because the whole or final game doesn't solely exist on that dvd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard