Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
So, I've been playing with a rogue type character and while backstab damage can be impressive it is very finicky.
My main gripes are these:
-Enemies constant animation more often that not made me miss a hit.
-There is no indicator for a backstabbing position. I've been wasting precious AP to find that one spot behind their backs that allows for a backstab and it's even more frustrating when they're knocked down.

So my suggestions are:
- improve enemies hitboxes so that their animation doesn't make you miss hitting them if you're in the right position.
- Create a colored cone behind enemies backs that shows you the correct backstab position angle. Allow it to be seen only by Scoundrels and make it more wide with more points invested into Scoundrel.

G
stranger
stranger
G
+100500, had the very same suggestion, been too lay to write it down

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I agree that the motion thing is annoying but there is an indicator for backstab - your cursor changes.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by Songbird
I agree that the motion thing is annoying but there is an indicator for backstab - your cursor changes.

I know that, but I don't know exactly where to stand for that backstab icon to appear. Right now you gotta constantly adjust your position behind their backs, wasting precios AP, to get into the right spot. With the indicator you would be able to see where you need to stand to be in the green.

Last edited by Aramintai; 11/07/14 08:27 AM.
stranger
stranger
Yeah a Rogue is one of my main characters and I find it a bit difficult at times to find the right spot aswell. Every once in a while I have to do a bit of line-dancing (yeehaa!) to finally find the right spot aswell.

It seems to me that the radius of the backstab detection zone is rather small, so some kind of indication before moving would be nice. Now it's a sort of find the right pixel mini-game. wink

Last edited by DukeMcFishy; 11/07/14 08:52 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Bump.. any news from devs or modders regarding this?

Worst part of every fight.

Last edited by free25; 13/07/14 09:18 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

Agreed!

D
stranger
stranger
D
Once you know where the enemy's back is you should have no problems getting into place. It's not like you're finding a perfect pixel, there's a good cone for where you can stand.

getting into place should also not cost anything, as any movement distance from an AP you didn't spend makes moving free until you use it up. My rogue can move like 5m on a single ap so I can circle an enemy several times.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Even if I know it (I already figured it out) it still doesn't always show, so indeed, some indication, like a red line being drawn from the enemy on the floor indicating backstab position (having to stand on that line for example) would already be a HUGE help.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if it was a skill or alike that is being added. lol

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Bump... We really need this. I just spend 4 APs dancing around a single soldier trying to find the right spot to stand. When I finally found it, and did the backstab, the animation made it miss. :-(

M
stranger
stranger
M
I thought this as well. I figured a good fix would be a small circle around an enemy (much like Attack Of Opportunity's circle) when you hover an attack icon over them. The circle would have an cone showing their field of view. The point of that would be their direct front, assisting in finding their back. As you recommended, maybe high dex, perception, or scoundrel could spawn a small arrow pointing from their back, getting bolder as you level it.

The problem lies (I think) in the differing stances, affects, idle animations, and mob types. Like I fought a group of humans and had diseased a group of them. The marksmen and mage I could tell where their 'hunching' was still their stance, but the guy with a shield hunched more drastically and I had to make several clicks to find his sweet spot.

I think larger or odd shaped monsters exasperate this. Personally i've tricked myself into considering this a challenge booster- "Rogue, get hit back!" "Shut up! It's a troll with huge fat rolls, he is ALL belly...". Regardless it happens now and again, where lining up a backstab doesn't visually fit. I would enjoy a fix or work around.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Dragon age origins has a great circle indicator for rogues showing where you can backstab.
At the beginning it's a small area in the circle, but then you can unlock wider range.
Something similar in D:OS would be fantastic.

S
stranger
stranger
S
+1

I
stranger
stranger
I
Yep, it is annoying.

1. Move behind enemy. Obviously this is the back end, the face and eyes are on the other side.
2. Hmmmm, still no backstab icon. Well, I can shuffle a bit without movement cost.
3. Shuffles: up up down down left right left right
4. Dagnabbit, still no icon and I spent an action point or two.
5. *Moves away from the target about 1 character width and icon shows up*
6. Wha...? Well, ok. *click, enemy model shifts and character walks around to the front*
7. !!!!!

While I was doing all this fidgeting my coop buddy Lone Wolf Man-at-arms with his 2-Handed weapon has killed everything. The mage has been relegated to a juggling act for the stream viewers.

Last edited by irongamer; 11/08/14 06:09 PM.
+1

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Someone from Larian, can you please let us know if something is on the cards for this?

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

I really love my rogue/GC/leech toon but this is indeed annoying..

Finally postioned right (losing 2 ap's on the way) backstab aaaand..walk

-.- nooo smile

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by dwelfusius
+1

Finally postioned right (losing 2 ap's on the way) backstab aaaand..walk

-.- nooo smile

I clicked on the exact position to be able to backstab at the exact moment that the enemy animation made me attack him instead of move behind him. It's too frustrating.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
This could all be solved if somehow when you Moused Over an opponent, his animation stopped.
Rogues and Rangers would be very happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard