Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
enthusiast
Respawning monsters? Absolutely not.

A little bit more RNG in terms of which monsters you face, so that each playthrough is a little different? That sounds like a good idea, if done in moderation.

veteran
veteran
Absolutely not

WOOS
stranger
stranger
NO!

What I would advocate, which is what I did with Torment: Tides of Numinara (or something like that), was that mobs do respawn unless certain goals are met. My example was that of a giant wasp hive. Until you kill the hive the wasps should respawn. The idea that mobs don't come back is ridiculous.

Another example I used were highway robbers. Sure you killed those bastard last time you came through, but unless you helped the the city watch in this one quest they don't have the men to patrol the roads and another group of robbers take the place of the ones you killed.

If you worry about people farming them, then why not have a flag on the mob indicating how many times its been killed. Each time the XP and gold return is diminished (potentially to zero after just one kill).

This adds to a living world that you have an impact on through your quests, and not just through slaughtering mobs whole-sale.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
R
stranger
stranger
R
I think depending on the way a CRPG is made very limited respawning is ok.

But in D:OS I really think it would be not very fitting.
The combat scenarios are fairly well though out and therefore fun. More Combat would probably lessen the experience.

Also combat mods are probably one of the first bigger mods to pop up.

Last edited by rftl; 17/07/14 03:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by nstgc

This adds to a living world that you have an impact on through your quests, and not just through slaughtering mobs whole-sale.

Original Sin is neither Skyrim nor an MMO and it's also not a real time action game. A "living world" is only needed if you travel through the same regions over and over and over. Original Sin is more a classic "linear" experience with hand-crafted encounters for turn-basedc combat. Respawning mobs would just be a huge annoyance. Nothing is worse being forced to fight against a level 10 mob while you yourself are on level 20 for no apparent reason. That would seriously devalue the core idea of this game and on top of that it's absolutely unnecesary.

If you guys want to have more combat replay the game or wait for mods/expansions with new content.

Last edited by LordCrash; 17/07/14 02:04 PM.

WOOS
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Original Sin is neither Skyrim nor an MMO and it's also not a real time action game. A "living world" is only needed if you travel through the same regions over and over and over. Original Sin is more a classic "linear" experience with hand-crafted encounters for turn-basedc combat. Respawning mobs would just be a huge annoyance. Nothing is worse being forced to fight against a level 10 mob while you yourself are on level 20 for no apparent reason. That would seriously devalue the core idea of this game and on top of that it's absolutely unnecesary.

If you guys want to have more combat replay the game or wait for mods/expansions with new content.

I agree with you with some of your points, but you mention that it would be an annoyance to fight against low lvl mobs, but I find this no worse than being forced into a linear game that forces you down a particular route. This to me is a bigger issue than fighting against low level mobs.

YNWA

I wasn't suggesting it for combat replay, but rather for a sense of impact. Also, I've never actually played a game that implimented this idea.

Also, I wish people would stop comparing D:OS to Skyrim, they are nothing alike. Also, neither Skyrim, nor any MMO have what I would call a "living world". By this I mean one that changes with you. You know, so you can see the impact you make on the world.

Still I can see how this would be wasted effort. As you said, LordCrash, the game is set up in such a way as to ensure this sort of situation doesn't occur in the first place. While it might be a nice idea, there wouldn't be much point.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
journeyman
journeyman
Hmm, no don't want to see this. As others have pointed out this isn't really a similar world to Skyrim as it's quest is more linear. I think what I'd like to see is maybe an expansion or dlc that offer new maps and quests for your party to undertake and I suspect modders will eventually be offering new content as well in that vein.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by efiwymviL

I agree with you with some of your points, but you mention that it would be an annoyance to fight against low lvl mobs, but I find this no worse than being forced into a linear game that forces you down a particular route. This to me is a bigger issue than fighting against low level mobs. [/quote]

For me that is awesome. I hate open world games for the sake of being open world. "Real" open world almost means fucked up balancing.

Linear progression in an open world environment is the only option to deliver challenge and balancing, especially in a tactical turn-based game.

I'm a fan of linearity.

WOOS
N
stranger
stranger
N
I am loving the combat so far. I wouldn't mind having more enemies to fight but I don't want mindless trash combat. that would spoil the game IMO but an arena for example if it makes sense would be kind of cool especially if you could respec and try out different builds and stuff.

Anyway DD and D2 IIRC did not have any respawn so not expecting anything different with D:OS

S
stranger
stranger
S
Respawning Monsters of the same type? No. But I always thought it'd be cool, if there were different mobs after a certain amount of time in an area I cleared, like eg. wild animals resettling in a wilderness area that I freed from undead before and so on.

X
stranger
stranger
X
As long as you feel like there is good progression you shouldn't need respawns. Now that being said, it would be kind of cool to come back to an area and find some harder enemies feasting on the corpses you have left behind... Maybe just a few really difficult encounters to test your mettle, not enough to sway the balance of the progression through the game.

G
G
That's what the tool set is for, so people can either change to enable respawn or add something like a specific place which would have respawns or none at all.

I guess for me, I don't want to constantly run into fights if I've cleared an area. On the other hand some form for people to get some XP on the side wouldn't be a bad thing, maybe an arena or something which you can participate in would be a solution.

WeresheepVampire of Original Sin
WoOS - https://weresheep.net/doku.php
enthusiast
enthusiast
Generally I don't like respawning monsters.

But I did like the approach they had in Might & Magic VI. There monsters would respawn after 6-12 months (!!) game time - basically simulating that new monsters would move back into the areas again.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by efiwymviL

For me that is awesome. I hate open world games for the sake of being open world. "Real" open world almost means fucked up balancing.

Linear progression in an open world environment is the only option to deliver challenge and balancing, especially in a tactical turn-based game.

I'm a fan of linearity.

Yea don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the pacing of the game, just sometimes it feels that we are being pushed down a very tight corridor, I love how some quests can be completed in various different ways, would like to be able to explore in different ways too..... but in the end we all have different opinions.

YNWA
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I would only agree to respawnable monsters if

A) they give no experience
B) they drop no loot
C) they are ridiculously high levelled like 23+

C
stranger
stranger
C
Ok to all those saying no. What about a option for it? Aka a check in the options menu for "Respawning Monsters"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Salumba
Respawning Monsters of the same type? No. But I always thought it'd be cool, if there were different mobs after a certain amount of time in an area I cleared, like eg. wild animals resettling in a wilderness area that I freed from undead before and so on.

There are almost no wild animals in D:OS. The only wild animals I can remember of are a bunch of wolves in Cyseal and a gang of vermin west of Hunter's Edge. Ok, and maybe the spiders, although they are connected with a spider cult...

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Craftomega
Ok to all those saying no. What about a option for it? Aka a check in the options menu for "Respawning Monsters"

You could include a button for everything? Why not letting players choose to fight against scaling enemies as well?

It's just not how this game is designed and this game has its design for a reason.

WOOS
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard