Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Throughout the Ages, the tale of the two Source Hunters has been played and replayed countless times. While the details have changed from telling to telling, one thing that was generally agreed upon was that there were at least two Source Hunters.

Until now

What if there was only one Source Hunter in the tale? What if they were a true Lone Wolf, with no one by their side?

Basically in this thread, I attempt to make it so that the entire game is a true single player experience with just one Source Hunter. This may not amount to anything. This thread will be the chronicles of a journey, a Journey to make a true Lone Wolf.

To start off with, I managed to get this picture taken-

[Linked Image]

when I unchecked the IsPlayer property of Player2's Template.

And of course, I ran into my first problem right away-

[Linked Image]

This probably has to do with the Story goals checking if both players have finished Character creation before teleporting them to the correct trigger. Does anyone know whether it's possible to somehow overwrite the original trigger, or know how I could add my own that does the same thing?

Edit-
WIP version of the mod is here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/txm7j0l53kozpnt/JourneyOfTheLoneWolf.zip

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
in your __start.txt have you tried removing

CHARACTER_Player2.isPlayer();

from the init section?

also, in KB removing CharacterAddToCharacterCreation(CHARACTER_Player2, 0, 1)

if you've tried this, I got nothing else

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
The _Start Goal file is read-only in the Editor, meaning I have to add stuff in with my own Goals.

That being said, I managed to get past Character creation successfully Xmas

[Linked Image]

Thanks to this Story goal-

Code
IF
CharacterCreationFinished(CHARACTER_NULL)
THEN
CharacterTeleportPartyToTriggerMovieLoadState(TRIGGER_CYS_Start_P1,"","MovieGameIntro");
ItemToCharacter(ITEM_CYS_SHGuide1, CHARACTER_Player1);
CharacterAddGold(CHARACTER_Player1,400);
DB_CYSDoTutorial(1);

I suppose the next question to ask is does anyone know of any obvious places where only having one character might be a problem?

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Well, that didn't take long ouch

[Linked Image]
The skeletons were there before the mages had a chance to summon them.

[Linked Image]
One of those mages ran away, leaving me to deal with a lvl 5 and lvl ??? (9) enemy. Needless to say, I couldn't continue.

stranger
stranger
None that I can think of immediately. 100% EXP earned too I hope. If so, you can probably get to like 26+ pretty easily (if it's doubled).

That being said, the game is designed around 2 players. It will be very hard to complete the game on anything but easy due to the shear overwhelming advantage NPCs will have utilizing status effects.

"Sorrow - How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."
-Vivi
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I managed to defeat all of the initial welcoming party with my Lone Wolf (the 3 Skeletons + 1 Lvl 5 + 2 Lvl 9's) thanks to the awesomeness of Midnight Oil + Fire + Easy mode, and now that I've worked my way to Cyseal I now see gamebreaking problems.

Short version is that all of the triggers and dialogues are broken

[Linked Image]

The orc raiding party at the beach was already there when I came, Arhu didn't open the door and welcome me, vendors don't sell items, etc etc.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Rhidian
The _Start Goal file is read-only in the Editor, meaning I have to add stuff in with my own Goals.

You can get around this by clicking on the goal, then right-clicking on the goal and selecting "Copy to my mod". Don't forget to restart the editor after doing this to all the files you want to edit.

If you want to be able to edit all of them this may take a long time, since there are 226 goals, so I've attached a link to a zip file that has all of the default files. Simply extract it to /data/mods/<yourmod>.

Enjoy.

Edit:
As a word of caution, the story editor doesn't handle utf8 strings correctly when clicking on "Copy to my mod", so it will create a new mod folder with broken characters where it will place the created files. This means that if you have a mod called "Hench駑on", it'll post the files in Hench?ススシmon_<UUID> instead of the correct folder.

Edit2: Looks like this website doesn't handle them correctly either.

Last edited by ck06; 30/07/14 10:57 PM.

-ck06
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by ck06
Originally Posted by Rhidian

You can get around this by clicking on the goal, then right-clicking on the goal and selecting "Copy to my mod". Don't forget to restart the editor after doing this to all the files you want to edit.

It... it works. I erased my own Story Goal, copied over the _Start to my mod, removed the Character_Player2 entries, and...

[Linked Image]

The triggers and dialogue and everything else works Xmas

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Alright, so with the minimum changes necessary to get single player working, here's the WIP version-

The two changes necessary for a single Source Hunter is-
1) One of the players (Player2) is set so that IsPlayer() is false (in the sidebar)
2) The _Start story goal is changed so it doesn't reference Character_Player2

One thing I would like to do is double exp from encounters (and maybe quests if that's easily doable). Does anyone know how experience for monsters/encounters is set?

Edit:
I've also heard that there's some parts of the game that *require* two characters. Which parts are these?

Edit #2:
Should I have the Lone character receive the Attribute (+6), Skill (+5), and Talent (+2) points that the second player would have had?

Last edited by Rhidian; 31/07/14 12:35 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
One part of the tutorial dungeon is a 'puzzle' with pressure plates where you learn how to split the party. I haven't tried doing this by placing objects on the plates but this is the first scenario that springs to mind.

There's also a puzzle in cyseal where there are 2 trap doors in different locations that lead to caves that look the same. in the first room you pull levers in the order written in the second room, then an enemy spawns in the second room you need to beat. you then redo this to for the other room. This part could be on a timer to promote splitting up the party.

I can't think of any other missions where it might be required to have 2 people.

Edit:
As for giving the creation stats, maybe try giving player1 the lone wolf, ability and skill point traits when you spawn on the beach, so you don't have to waste a talent points during creation and get a bit of a boosted start to counter the fact that you're on your own.

Last edited by ck06; 31/07/14 12:42 AM.

-ck06
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I'm not going to worry about the Tutorial dungeon or the Mirror enemies, mostly because they're optional. I looked at the Mirror enemy Story file and I believe that the Mirror for the default Player 2 template will spawn and have no usable skills.

I have updated the WIP version of the mod so that the single Source Hunter receives the following when they arrive at the Cyseal Beach-
Code
6 Attribute Points
5 Ability Points
2 Talent Points
The Lone Wolf talent if they don't already have it, or 1 extra Talent point if they do

I'm adding these after character creation because I don't want to mess with the strict point requirements that the properties.lsx has for that process. If you don't pick Lone Wolf at creation and receive it when arriving on the beach, you'll get a message saying your partner has left the party; whether this means something goes to the Inn, I don't know. You'll also start with a chunk of your health missing, since it doesn't heal after forcing the Lone Wolf bonus on your character.

At the very least, I believe having the forced Lone Wolf talent combined with the single Source Hunter will mean that companions won't be recruitable at all (meaning it's a true Solo experience).

The updated WIP version link is the same as the one in the opening post-

journeyman
journeyman
Rhidian if you were here I would kiss you!

A single player mod is the very thing I've been wishing for. In fact, I just replied to MrC's thread about it before I saw yours.

You are simply amazing, without any instructions, the things you've figured out how to do on your own are just incredible.

I think Larian need to put you on the payroll!

journeyman
journeyman
One part of the tutorial dungeon is a 'puzzle' with pressure plates where you learn how to split the party. I haven't tried doing this by placing objects on the plates but this is the first scenario that springs to mind.

I've successfully completed this puzzle with a solo character. I had to use one of the heavy water barrels though (the regular barrels and vases just weren't heavy enough to register).

The only problem with this is, I've modded my game so that my character can carry much more weight. If I were playing an unmodded game I might not be able to pick up and carry the water barrel.

I think this is something to do with the pressure plate itself, this particular plate requires much more weight than the ones you encounter earlier in the dungeon.

journeyman
journeyman
I've just thought of another small hiccup I encounted when playing solo. When I teleported to the Homestead for the first time, my companion was automatically teleported there too. The dialogue "I think that imp is mad, we'd best look through the telescope...' then played out.

This was not a problem. But when I left my companion behind to go through the portal to talk to the Weaver of Time. I couldn't teleport back to Cyseal. I got the message 'You must gather your party...'

So I had to go back through the portal to my companion and teleport from there. I guess the game does some sort of check.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now, but if I run into anything else I will definitely let you know, cause I really, really want this mod to work smile

journeyman
journeyman
Ok I'm back again (I know, you're getting sick of me :P). But I've just play tested your mod and I've run into a few problems.

First off, I have my own mod installed, but none of the files I've modded are the same as the ones you've modded, so I didn't try to merge the two mods and I've activated both. They seem to be working without conflict (but I could be wrong, it's been known to happen :P).

Ok, firt problem (very minor) at the Character Creation screen, the character wasn't centered on the screen, when I tried to customise her appearance she was hidden behind the window and I couldn't see the changes I was making (this may have something to do with my monitor resolution though).

2nd problem, there was no dialogue at all. When I played solo before (by leaving my companion behind on the beach) my character 'spoke to herself'. Things like 'If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a peaceful beach' and 'What's that corpse doing here alone?' this time there was none of that, just silence.

When I read the journal from the corpse, my jornal updated and an exclamation mark appeared over my character's head, but again, my character didn't say anything.

Next problem, the shell on the beach was silent, no 'Oh mighty ocean, how I pine for thee..' and I couldn't interact with him at all.

The same thing happened with the guards at the bridge, they wouldn't talk to me and I couldn't talk to them.

The battle with the orcs on the beach went as planned, but afterwards, even though Arhu opened the gate, he wouldn't talk to me either frown

That's as far as I got. I decided to stop there.

Could the two mods be conflicting with each other after all?

I'm sure this is in early early beta. Many conversations would have to be changed.. nearly the entire games voiced dialog would have to be changed to be perfect.

The not speaking part of it is an interesting problem. Maybe ill mess around and see why thats happening.

I'm actually in the process of working on a truely single player mod. It'll be a fresh campaign instead of the main game.

journeyman
journeyman
Quick update. I've just tested it again, this time with only the Lone Wolf mod active. But no change I'm afraid, the problems are still there, so I guess it wasn't a mod conflict after all. Just as well I suppose, cause I don't think I can live without your movement speed mod smile

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Demonata08
I'm sure this is in early early beta. Many conversations would have to be changed.. nearly the entire games voiced dialog would have to be changed to be perfect.

The not speaking part of it is an interesting problem. Maybe ill mess around and see why thats happening.

I'm actually in the process of working on a truely single player mod. It'll be a fresh campaign instead of the main game.

I'd like to try my hand at a small single player campaign as well. So I'm very interested to see how you go about this Demonata08 smile

Regarding this wonderful mod, I hope I haven't given the wrong impression. I'm not complaining at all, my sole intention is to give Rhidian feedback and encouragement.

As there's very little I can do to actually help him with it, I figured the least thing I could do was to thoroughly test things and report any bugs smile

Don't get discouraged Rhidian. I forbid it! thankyou

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Hrm, your problems sound like what happened with the broken version of the mod (no dialogues, events not working). I can say that if you have two different mods active, one of them will not work at all.

Does anyone know if the log.txt file that is generated when I "build" the story is necessary for the changes to stick? I tried deleting it and running the game and it seemed fine, but that's one thing that could potentially be causing the issues. I just didn't want to upload a 45mb file each time if I can avoid it. I'll have to check and see if a .pak file was generated without me knowing about it.

Edit-
Did you use the first version (without forced Lone Wolf), or the second version where it forces Lone Wolf on the character? If the second version, did you receive extra Attribute/ability/talent points when you reached Cyseal beach? If you deleted the mod folder and redownload from the link, it should be the second version now.

Last edited by Rhidian; 31/07/14 01:07 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I used the updated version (from the last link you posted).

I chose Lone Wolf and Pet Pal when creating my character, so I'm not sure if it was forced on or not.

Yes, I received the extra Attribute/Ability and Talent points when I arrived on Cyseal beach.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard