Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I'm trying really really hard not to lose my cool on this one because I have found others with a similar issue and I find something like this to be totally unacceptable for a product I have paid money for. I know my hardware is just fine and updated. So i'm running the Developers cut version of the game. I click my Launcher and press Play normal game and after the Larian stuios logo and the speed tree logo shows up I see what appears to be a golden emblem indicating loading in the bottom right corner. After about two seconds of this screen the game crashes to desktop with no error message. I spent money on this game and to have it unplayable is infuriating when every other game I downloaded on my computer works just fine. It is only this game.

Wohooo
Support
Support

Try renaming the intro.wvm and loading.wvm videos in the '..\Divinity II - Developers Cut\Data\Video' folder. That may avoid the crash, and if not it should at least speed up future troubleshooting.

If that doesn't help, check out the suggestions and links in the Steam discussions below.

[Solution] Game won't start

Game won't start, I need help desperately

T
stranger
stranger
T
i have the same problems but i did not get it on steam so all the steam sollutions wotn work for me

Support
Support

Most of the suggestions in the Steam discussions are not specific to the Steam version.
Instead of Steam's 'verifying local files' you could try uninstalling the game and re-installing, but there are other things to try first.

X
stranger
stranger
X
Game was working fine up until a few days ago, and I believe it was an install of Tera online that caused the problem. The extremely annoying thing is that D2 is my only game that does not work in Windows 7 x64 now. I have the GOG version installed, and I have done a clean re-install with the same results.

I can switch easily to WinXP (dual boot) and use the same install and hardware and D2 works perfectly so it is definitely on Windows 7 that it will crash just after the loading screen with a generic error. What is it exactly that D2 needs in Win7? Is it something with the codecs?

I checked Fallout 3 and Oblivion since they also use the Gamebryo engine, and they run just fine. I have tried everything suggested that I could find and I am convinced it is D2 alone that has a problem.

I did run your troubleshooting utility, but it passed the initial tests and checked all of the install files apparently. My install is fine, it's the engine that needs something specific in Win7.

Support
Support

You renamed the intro videos, tried starting directly from both executables (and in compatibility mode), clean re-install of PhysX, etc?

X
stranger
stranger
X
Renaming the videos just makes it crash faster. It crashes just before the main game menu is supposed to show. I tried the developer and the regular and they both crash. I also tried compatibility mode (didn't need it before) but it still crashed. Yes, I did a clean install of the video driver and physx with the same result. I just put about 20 hours into the game in May without any problems (same OS and same hardware).

I suspect an install of Tera online as the problem (about a month ago). I performed a deep inspection for virus or spyware (sysinternals) and everything seems ok. I think Tera installed some audio codecs that may be causing the problem...just a guess though. Here's the error:

Faulting application name: Divinity2-debug.exe, version: 1.4.700.41, time stamp: 0x5050ad8c
Faulting module name: Divinity2-debug.exe, version: 1.4.700.41, time stamp: 0x5050ad8c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0091ec83
Faulting process id: 0x90
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9fd72be5ab3c
Faulting application path: M:\Games\Divinity 2 Developers Cut\bin\Divinity2-debug.exe
Faulting module path: M:\Games\Divinity 2 Developers Cut\bin\Divinity2-debug.exe
Report Id: 6d68e6b9-0bca-11e4-bda9-bc5ff43610c7

C
stranger
stranger
C
I'm also having the exact same issue as xsys, though with the Steam version of the game. I've done all of the previous steps mentioned in the other troubleshooting threads, and I also have the intro movies renamed (which cause the crash to occur faster).

Coincidentally I also has Tera installed, which could be a factor if Tera added additional Codecs to the operating system, if codecs are a big factor with this problem. I am also running Windows 7 x64.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Having same issues as previous posters. Reinstalling game seems to work. However after patching game crashes on startup. Will try a new install, again.

X
stranger
stranger
X
Reinstalling the game should fix it, but it doesn't for me. Not only is this the only game that I am having a problem with, but it's the only application period. My guess is that this game alone has some system dependency (like a font, codec, or .NET, etc.) and the only place I can get this information is from Larian...who hasn't responded.

It comes down to three questions imo: What fonts does the game require? What codecs does the game require? What version of .NET does the game require?

If there is a specific font, codec, or .NET requirement it should be part of the installer in the future to avoid this problem.

X
stranger
stranger
X
I used something called Dependency Walker (www.dependencywalker.com) on the executable, and it seems like there are some dependencies...missing of course:

API-MS-WIN-CORE-COM-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-0.DLL
DCOMP.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL

I think this is part of the basic .NET infrastructure, and it was broken by the Tera online installer imo. Why it only affects D2 I do not know, and what exactly will restore these files easily (like vcredist 2008, 2010, etc.) I cannot locate.

Any ideas?

Support
Support

I have 16 copies of IESHIMS.DLL on my computer (8 each of 2 different file sizes), but none of the rest that you list. I tried searching the install folder for three of the names, to see if maybe they were packed in one of the game files, but they didn't show up (searching for text strings, ignoring case).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by xsys
Game was working fine up until a few days ago...

I can switch easily to WinXP (dual boot) and use the same install and hardware and D2 works perfectly so it is definitely on Windows 7 that it will crash just after the loading screen with a generic error. What is it exactly that D2 needs in Win7? Is it something with the codecs?

... My install is fine, it's the engine that needs something specific in Win7.

Developer's Cut running great for me under Win8.1x64...I run an AMD Radeon, and the wrong versions of PhysX will crash the game like that...9.12.0613...is the version of PhysX you should have installed and running when you install the game--other versions may cause immediate crashes, even though they are newer. If prompted by the game install to install another version of PhysX, don't. It's the only version of PhysX I have installed in my system and it is compatible with every PhysX game I have--doing it this way you never have to install PhysX every time you install a game that requires it, again.

Likewise, you should install the DX9.0c runtime from Microsoft--the June 2010 version is the last version of 9.0c released by Microsoft and is the most up-to-date. It installs alongside DX10 + and does not overwrite DX10 +.

The only other thing I can think of is be sure to run the game in admin mode--You can either right click and from the context menu select "run as admin" or edit the program icon's compatibility options by checking the "run as admin" checkbox. The game runs fine for me in straight Win8.1 mode--no compatibility options selected apart from "run as admin."

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
X
stranger
stranger
X
I had D2 working fine on Win7 x64 for almost a year, but a recent install changed something that only affects D2 for some reason. So, rather than re-install Win x64 I was hoping the devs could give me at least a hint as to what the low level dependencies were and maybe I could refresh something like .NET 3.5 or Security update KB286538 (or whatever). I have tried quite a few things (including everything any forum suggests) to no avail.

Only the devs know what the low level dependencies are, and the solution to this problem may be the solution for many people who have never been able to get it to run. It's probably another vcredist like VS 2005 or VS 2008 (I've tried quite a few of those too). I think the Tera installer did something with the language packs (localization) if that helps. So, does D2 require something in this area?

Support
Support

You can email supportdks@larian.com, but anyone who could answer that will not be back in the office until August 4th.

X
stranger
stranger
X
I was able to get D2 running (again) on Win 7 x64 by using a trick I read in another forum (the Robin Hood forum on Steam actually lol). Basically, you use DXWnd to start the app (or Steam with DXWnd running), and the only real change I used to get things working was to select "Handle Exceptions" in the "Compat" tab. Here are the (modified) instructions:

1) Download the latest version of DxWnd from... http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Latest%20build/
1) Unrar and inside the extracted folder run "dxwnd.exe" as administrator (if you need to). Go to "Edit->Add", in parameter "Name" set the name as Divinity II.
2) In parameter "Path" choose the .exe file of the game (in my case it looks like M:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\divinity2_dev_cut\bin\Divinity2-debug.exe).
3) In the "Main" tab, under "Generic" untick "Run in Window". Also in "Main" tab, under "Position" set "Window initial position & size" to X=0 and Y=0. Set "W" and "H" to your native resolution (in my case that's W=1920 and H=1080).
4) Next in "Input" tab tick "Hide Cursor". If the cursor flickers on the main screen of the game don't worry, it works fine in-game.
5) In the "Compat" tab select "Handle Exceptions".
6) Lastly click "OK" in DXWnnd, if all is good it will show a green circle before the name of the game in DxWnd.

Now you can start D2 from either the DXWnd app or start the app and then launch from Steam smile

There is also a "Fake Version" mode (for OS) in the "Compat" section so this could be a solution for other operating systems too.

What I think is happening is a soft error on startup that is not handled properly by D2 (shame on you!), so it just crashes. The DXWnd app actually catches the error and just ignores whatever happened..and continues to start normally.

Support
Support

Thanks for the update.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I never meet this crash when I play this game(DKS : ego draconis and FOV) three years ago but just moment ago I meet 2 crash on FOV

my window still the same just like 3 years ago, window 7 32 bit

I don't know maybe there are some programs and another installment that effect this game

but thanks Jesus when I load again it running just like what it must

S
stranger
stranger
S
Okay, so I made this account to get back to you because i had an issue with it as well - the exact same one in fact - the bottom right logo spins once or twice and then yeah- it fails -

SO WHAT I DID - was initially read the read me file that came with the install - and while you're not aware of this I solved the problem by getting the brand new nvidia PhysX drivers after uninstalling the one that I currently had installed.

Then: I launched the game and this whole amazing interface which was so different to Original Sin popped up!

Enjoy the game - this is how you'll work it - i tried compatibility and all that at first - but it was the Physx all along --

MUCH <3

You must know this account was created just to help you- By the by: CH[F]uck Steam and Gabe Newell

Stay true to the roots you were born onto - not where you came from
S
stranger
stranger
S
that looks like a stupid hassle- try reading the READ ME! FOolish

Stay true to the roots you were born onto - not where you came from
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard