Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#536654 04/08/14 02:20 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey guys, just new to the forum yesterday. I own a copy of the original Divine Divinity on disc, and after having played that, I was considering purchasing this one in the collectors set that you can find online. I just wanted to ask how it stacks up to the first game and what your favorite parts of the game are? I'd like to get some pros and cons if anyone would like to share their opinion, thanks.

''And so it was, that the herald of Cthonian war mastery stormed the burning violet fields of Kerrul'thar, enraptured in glorious twilight as he reigned destruction upon the brave Atlantean heroes!''
Support
Support

Yes, Beyond Divinity is worth getting, especially (in the case of the Divinity Anthology) if you also want Divinity 2 Developer's Cut.

It is kind of Larian's red headed stepchild, though, with a fair bit of criticism when it was first released, though IMNSHO mostly invalid (ie easily avoidable issues) or exaggerated, or merely a reaction to not being more of Divine Divinity.
Some of the voice acting is pretty bad, but most of that is concentrated on the first level; the DK's voice gets better as the game progresses, and he talks less.
Some of the skill design was more complicated than it needed to be, especially with the different resistances, though you can easily avoid that by sticking to weapons that do conventional damage.

The music, writing, atmosphere, etc, is similar to DD.

There are 2 main characters that you control (most of the time you can have them both selected, and direct them to move or attack as one). Combat is a little more tactical than DD, with approach, positioning and target selection more of a factor for tough fights.

Some of the new things BD tried worked well, such as the summoning dolls and stat system (it allowed a great deal of flexibility in creating viable character builds; in DD all warriors pretty much ended up with the same stats), etc. The battlefields are great for handy access to merchants (the randomly generated dungeons are optional).

With the characters and equipment being in 3D, there is a lot more variety in equipment in BD, which is reflected on your characters (in DD all large shields looked the same when equipped, etc).
BD is a little more linear than DD, being divided into 4 acts (act 1 opens up towards the end, and acts 2 and 3 have quite a bit of freedom in where you can go, with more variety of environments), though that fits with the plot of the game.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks a lot for the description Raze, I'll be sure to pick myself up a copy soon. Hopefully I'll pick the knack of it up and get a few good hours play out of it smile

''And so it was, that the herald of Cthonian war mastery stormed the burning violet fields of Kerrul'thar, enraptured in glorious twilight as he reigned destruction upon the brave Atlantean heroes!''
S
stranger
stranger
S
Hope you got it I have been playing for a little less than 2 weeks & just completed game. Very well put together & lots of humor in it.
Raze was very helpful for me when I couldn't see the obvious. It has a lot of quests so I copied the 500+ pages so I can see the right path to get all the quests Or most of them.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard