Next Thread
Print Thread
#548986 30/08/14 10:23 AM
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Just want to say a big thanks to the creators of this game. One of the best I have played years. I'm still only level 11 but I hope this game never ends!

A
addict
addict
A
I agree. This is one of the best game i've played. I hope Larian can remake history. I can't wait for Larian's next project.

Z
Z09 Offline
stranger
stranger
Z
It's an excellent game and an ok-ish RPG.
Overall good gameplay mechanics, deep interactions with environment, complex crafting system , clunky control, story is generic fantasy with not a single interesting character (the first time I arrived at Homestead I was almost certain that the guy who wrote the lore for the Elder Scroll Online wrote this), very good music and atmosphere. If I were in my teens this game would have huge appeal to me.
Would be in my top 5 RPGs released after 2011

Last edited by Z09; 31/08/14 09:45 PM.
Z09 #549336 31/08/14 10:43 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Z09
It's an excellent game and an ok-ish RPG.
Overall good gameplay mechanics, deep interactions with environment, complex crafting system , clunky control, story is generic fantasy with not a single interesting character (the first time I arrived at Homestead I was almost certain that the guy who wrote the lore for the Elder Scroll Online wrote this), very good music and atmosphere. If I were in my teens this game would have huge appeal to me.
Would be in my top 5 RPGs released after 2011

I have to agree. There was not a single character in the game who captivated me. In past Divinity games, there were interesting characters especially in Divinity 2.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I would also have to agree. One of the most engaging RPG's i've played.

I actually wish Larian would make a full fledged MMO. I think they could pull off a pretty good one.

J
jog Offline
stranger
stranger
J
Surely the best RPG in this decade so far, (Shadowrun and Eschalon 3 are a bit too short)
But hey, so far I considered SWTOR the best RPG since 2010 (No, seriously, give it a try).
But with the big-budget Kickstarter titles on the horizon we'll see how we remember D:OS in 2020.

So, well, D:OS...

There aren't many RPGs with such a complex character system, and most others base on well-established p&p systems, and this amount of interaction with the environment is new (like Ultima7, Shadowlands and Jagged Alliance combined and improved - gods, I'm old.) The interaction between the two player-generated characters is great. Been quite a while since an RPG allowed us to create more than one char, and I can't remember a game that allowed us to roleplay dialogue between our self-made chars.

That said, some mechanics, simply aren't well thought-through. Skills like daggers drawn (twice the AP cost for half the damage? A bargain) or Wind-up toy (yay, I'll gonna summon an insane suicide-bomber right next to me, what could possibly go wrong?) seem to be rushed additions, poisoning and bleeding is underwhelming, and the demon in the homestead makes all but the most overpowered talents obsolete.

The story is average, guess someone played Ultima7 and Baldur's Gate? At least it's original enough to avoid the amnesiac trope and allow the player their own character(s) and still use the character's *past* as story-device. But while Cyseal is a lot of fun, it goes downward in the forest. There are also a lot of dialogue issues later on. Frankly, it might have been better to add a few hours more to cyseal and make a cut there, as it is everything after Cyseal feels a bit like filler-content.

All in all a good game, I have played better ones, but the combination of complex character system, interactive environment and PC-interaction is unique. In a decade that saw the fall of Bioware, it certainly is one of the best RPGs so far, and definitely the best if you take playtime into account.

jog #549553 01/09/14 03:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jog
Surely the best RPG in this decade so far

I like how you think... that only includes 4 years and 9 months after all and there are still many rpg's coming this and next year. ;P

But yeah, I feel like Larian wasted way too much time on Cysael and that should instead have been spent on the forest and ESPECIALLY the immaculate village.

Cysael is filler, you wade through and never return, what a waste! All that effort put into expanding Cysael for schedules only to then not include them was also a huge fauxpas. But I guess that's how game development goes... you never never quite plan everything.

And to me D:OS is a "ok" rpg, not a great one. No character that was in any way memorable. No MINSK, no BOO, no Aerie, no Jaheira... certainly no Shepard or Hawk. Any other RPG even the action heavy ones had better characters, at least 1 or 2...

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 01/09/14 03:47 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard