Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
hey i'm really excited to know what's Larian next game or plan would be. Just like to know if Larian have considered or looked at Baldur's Gate 2.

i love turn-based but how about real time with pause and play? i really love to see Larian attempt the reborn of Baldur's Gate 2 fame.

will you take the challenge Larian? I'm pretty sure it will sell.

Support
Support

Not anytime soon, I don't think. During the Kickstarter adding support for real time combat was discussed, but before D:OS was released, at least, no decision about that had been made (came up in the global chat during the beta).

journeyman
journeyman
Please, let us have our turn based games, there are plenty of action games out there for the kids to play.

-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Libertine
Please, let us have our turn based games, there are plenty of action games out there for the kids to play.

This made me chuckle, because BG is actually turn based. It just has a clever scripting behind it that allows you to progress through turns in real-time *if you want it* with alert system that stops the time everytime an important thing happens.

The real reason D:OS does not have it (aside from it not being part of the design) is because it requires a completely different AI scripting. As in, a proper NPC and character AI, proper roles, classes and defined actions. Or basically, it requires a smart AI. And D:OS certainly does not have that wink

old hand
old hand
Real time with pause would be awesome, but so much would have to change. Between changes to AI, logistics, and combat balance, it would practically be a new game. Not just a few lines of code changed. Real time with pause can be an excellent balance between combat flow and tactics, but the game really has to be designed for it from the get go. I think a real time with a time slow button might be cool too, so you have some time to make decisions, but there's still the drama of your opponents attacking you if you don't decide what to do fast enough.

Another cool format would be simultaneous actions but with discrete turns. Check out Friends and Foes to get an idea of what I mean. It's a fantasy team brawler board game where everyone picks their abilities at the same time and then each player has to decide how to play their turn (movement, who to attack, etc) depending on what abilities the other players have chosen. It's a little turn-based for announcing effects like damage and movement, but each player is constantly engaged, and there's not really much feeling that you're waiting for the other player to finish their turn. There's a ton of meta strategies and prediction that goes in, and I think the same system could be done in a computer RPG. Definitely not D:OS, once again, but maybe a future game by Larian.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

This made me chuckle, because BG is actually turn based. It just has a clever scripting behind it that allows you to progress through turns in real-time *if you want it* with alert system that stops the time everytime an important thing happens.

The real reason D:OS does not have it (aside from it not being part of the design) is because it requires a completely different AI scripting. As in, a proper NPC and character AI, proper roles, classes and defined actions. Or basically, it requires a smart AI. And D:OS certainly does not have that wink

BG is Round based. 1 Round is 6 seconds in Real-Time and 1 Turn is 10 Rounds. The game can be played (auto-paused every Round) and it's even customizable to pause upon certain conditions like auto pause when hostile spotted, and your other NPCs can be configured to perform certain actions like heal when X character falls below X amount of HPs, etc.

Also we used to have 6 characters in a party. 4 in Divinity is a bit dumbed-down to me. Also, if Romance is in it will be awesome.

The game is also very heavily Rule-Based. Saving throws from Divinity also copied from Baldur's Gate. So those people who mock gamers that play Baldur's Gate are kids, i chuckled.

Last edited by Archaven; 18/12/14 02:36 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
No thank you. We want more turn-based games please.

addict
addict
A Baldur's Gate like game would be great! If anybody can do it, then it's Larian! smile

Originally Posted by Jimmious

Divinity: Original Sin, Dead State, Blackguards, Blackguards 2, Might and Magic X, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Lords of Xulima, X-Com, South Park, etc...

As much as I love turn based RPGs and strategy games, I would really love to have some more RTwP goodness.

(No, Pillars of Eternity doesn't count, because it is just Josh Sawyer's brain fart. xD)

Last edited by dlux; 18/12/14 07:11 PM.
Support
Support

Real time support needs to eventually be added, IMNSHO. The Dragon Knight concept (Divinity 2) is too good to abandon, and I don't think turn based combat would be the same with a flying character.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
What I'd really like is the ability to pause outside of combat

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Archaven
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

BG is Round based. 1 Round is 6 seconds in Real-Time and 1 Turn is 10 Rounds. The game can be played (auto-paused every Round) and it's even customizable to pause upon certain conditions like auto pause when hostile spotted, and your other NPCs can be configured to perform certain actions like heal when X character falls below X amount of HPs, etc.

Also we used to have 6 characters in a party. 4 in Divinity is a bit dumbed-down to me. Also, if Romance is in it will be awesome.

The game is also very heavily Rule-Based. Saving throws from Divinity also copied from Baldur's Gate. So those people who mock gamers that play Baldur's Gate are kids, i chuckled.

Though kids certainly could have first contact with BG1 / BG2 now that the Enhanced Editions of both are out and on Steam. Either way you are of course right. I guess closely described BG2 would be a simultaneous-turn-real-time-with-pause CRPG wink I was never quite sure what to actually classify BG2 as though.

Either way, semantics aside. I loved BG2. And I hope we see many contenders to it in the future.

We also used to have a very verbose 5 people in our party, who would not just play a mini-game during conversations, but who would even initiate a fight if we did something that was absolutely against their convictions or who would flat-out betray you. To me the party in BG2 felt like a very diverse group of living breathing people with convictions and opinions. It is what makes BG2 a great CRPG, and the party in D:OS quite "meh" though the 2 new characters have interesting story, in the end they are not really *part* of our group of 2 source hunters, they are just.. hired help. Compare this to BG2 where people only followed you if they had a reason to actually do that. If you are a good guy the evil characters won't even ask you.

That there is no romance in D:OS is also a big let down. This is what binds the player to NPC's, it is what makes the player care. It doesn't need sex, nudity or children. But it does need romance and if the game has an epilogue, a conclusion to that as well.

And lastly, imo the combat should be "seamless" and not segmented into "formation, turn 1 side 1 creature 1 ....... end" but rather free-flowing like in BG2 wink

I am not sure POE will be a contender to topple BG2 and Torment, but it's good we have these games coming, also of course Torment 2. It's the 2 RPG's I am most eagerly awaiting smile

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by dlux
A Baldur's Gate like game would be great! If anybody can do it, then it's Larian! smile

Originally Posted by Jimmious

Divinity: Original Sin, Dead State, Blackguards, Blackguards 2, Might and Magic X, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Lords of Xulima, X-Com, South Park, etc...

As much as I love turn based RPGs and strategy games, I would really love to have some more RTwP goodness.

(No, Pillars of Eternity doesn't count, because it is just Josh Sawyer's brain fart. xD)

Yes recently Turn-Based games made a comeback.
But D:OS is probably the best one out there. That means Larian knows how to make good,very good turn-based RPGs. While I would argue that real-time ancestors were not nearly as good.
So I would preffer if Larian stuck to what worked so well and make more games in the same area.
If they want to have other projects in RT-with-Pause of course...by all means! But please let's keep what we suddenly got and was awesome!!

*Aren't Tides of Numenera going to be RTwPS?

Last edited by Jimmious; 18/12/14 11:33 PM.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
BTW I'm quite happy with turn-based combat, since I value DOS highly for its multiplayer, which is perfectly suited to my wife and I playing together, something we find very hard to do. Almost all coop games have stupid stories and are basically hack&slash gameplay (Diable, Borderlands). It would be hard to do 2-player with pause.

veteran
veteran
At first I was disappointed D:OS would come out with TB combat !!
Maybe I was afraid it would be not so fun to play in a RPG ?

But I've played D:OS for many hours now and yesterday I tried again to play a real time combat based rpg and o boy, I wished I could change the real time combat into tun based combat :hihi: !!!

I really LOVE turn based combat !!!
For me it's crystal clear that I will spend tons of billions of hours in Divinity : Original Sin !!!
After I play D:OS for about 10 years (maybe less, maybe more) ... after that I really wish to work something out myself with the D:OS Editor !!! That's again bussy for yeeaaaaars !! laugh

So, what kind of upcoming rpg's are coming between today and the future I don't know and I do not wish to know ...

I'm happy with D:OS for a very loooong time, but I know I'm NOT alone, ...

so I REALLY HOPE that Larian Studios (and other developer teams) can make ALL KIND OF rpg's
you ALL wish to play so that as much as possible gamers are happy,
then ... that will make ME even more happy smile !

Good luck to all of you wave

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
rtwp or tp, all good..just no hexagons!

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
old hand
old hand
Not to bring an argument with me, just want to say I vote no to this suggestion.

Link Copied to Clipboard