Print Thread
M
Mark33 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi all,

I'm playing with "Bairdotr" and "Wolgraff", two DEX based characters. Because Bairdotr also has high dexterity as a ranger, I want her to be able to backstab just like Wolgraff. For this reason I had her learn Scoundrel Skills.
Next, I want her to be able to learn the Level 2 Scoundrel Skill "Walk in Shadows".
HOWEVER: There is NEVER EVEN a Skill Book to learn this skill sold by any vendors. - At least not in the first 75% of the game.

Next, I tried to craft the "Walk in Shadows" Skill Book myself.
HOWEVER: Scoundrel Skill Books CAN NOT BE CRAFTED oneself, because there is no way to craft a blank SCOUNDREL Skill Book. Only Elemental Skill Books can be crafted.

I think this is a big shortcoming.
I *really* think players should be able to teach Bairdotr to be an effective Scoundrel / back stabber just like Wolgraff!

Please fix!
Anyone have any suggestions?

Greetings,
Mark

veteran
veteran
This is an odd quirk in the design, resulting from two somewhat contradictory ideas:

First, they want you to have the freedom to build your character the way you want... but they also want some skills to be extra special and so are only available at character creation or from one spellbook in the game.

I'm not a big fan of the one-time only skillbooks, in part because they will be lost if you respec, but mainly because most of the time, those one-off skills are actually not all that fantastic in the first place. A lot are just minor upgrades to an existing skill you can get anywhere.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There's a mod up on the Nexus that makes all Skill Books available from vendors. Their supply is still random, though, just like the pre-existing skill books, so you don't get it served on a silver platter.

Another option is to simply cheat it in with the save editor.

The legitimate option is to unlock Aeolettet in your Homestead. She has the book for sale sometimes.

Last edited by SleepyBadger; 07/03/15 05:22 AM. Reason: legitimate option
addict
addict
The legal option? Perhaps you meant legitimate?

I might have grin But it's so much more fun to write forum posts while you're half asleep smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I understand the wanting skills to be sort of unique I also understand that I want to be able to respec and have my favorite skills, the way it is now I never respec for that reason only.

Man-at-Arms skills also cannot be "booked", are they implying that fighters are too stupid to create literature? LOL

I need to get the editor for my next playthrough I wanna do some game-breaking things.

M
Mark33 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi all,

Hey! Thanks a lot for all the great replies! smile
That was very informative, especially Stabbey.
Thanks a lot all.
I'll try to go with the "legitimate" option of trying to unlock Aeolette first, if she really carries the "Walk in Shadows" Book sometimes. - I have this really weird thing of trying NOT to use editors and cheats on games I like... wink

Thanks again. I guess I will succeed in having Bairdotr compete with Wolgraff (at least a little), one way or the other! :-)))

Mark

R
addict
addict
R
If I recall correctly from when I worked on the "All Skillbooks Purchasable" mod, Walk In Shadows is classified as a "unique" skillbook, such that it is never in anything randomly generated (ie only one can be purchased from that specific vendor, and that's it).

I think there were around 20 skillbooks that were 'unique', not counting the Dust Devil skill which doesn't even have a Skillbook at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard