Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
With the Kickstarter beginning tomorrow, and the Linux release of D:OS God knows when (even a beta!), I don't feel comfortable giving money to Larian for another game. However, if I knew I could retract my pledge if I am disappointed with D:OS EE, that would be a different story.

Would this be possible?

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
addict
addict
Why not just wait until D:OS 2 actually comes out, before buying it? The whole concept of KS is crowdfunding, and said funds are to be used for creating the game. If you feel you may not want to provide your funds to that purpose, then just wait until release before putting your money down.

It makes more sense, than asking about a refund before the KS has even started.

nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
There are two cases here

(1: D:OS EE is released for Linux and is good) I want to provide my backing support for D:OS 2 as a show of support, and to provide the financial capital for the game.

(2: Else) Shame on Larian, I have no remorse for the trouble I cause.

So, yeah, it does make sense to me.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
addict
addict
Are you saying OP that you don't think the money given in a KS is not actually spent? That they just put it in some account somewhere so they can give it back if someone changes their mind? I can assure you, that isn't how it works.

Last edited by LeBurns; 25/08/15 08:07 PM.
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
What I'm saying, LeBurns, is that I am concerned that my money spent won't be spent on a Linux release that works. That is assuming they saying they'll do one (if they don't then it's a moot point). I also know that due to the poor handling of the last Kickstarter campaign Larian offered backers refunds.

So, again, yeah.

old hand
old hand
In other words, just another thread for you to complain about the lack of Linux currently available in DOS. Look, they offered refunds for DOS when Linux was not available as originally intended. If it doesn't come out for DOS II, then they have a good track record of doing the right thing for people who are not satisfied. If, however, you get DOS II and the Linux version doesn't meet your ambiguous and personal definition of 'good', then I would say you're probably out of luck like most people who support a Kickstarter and get a game that works but isn't 'good' enough for them.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
My definition is that it comes out and runs. Quite simple. Also I'm not looking to complain. I'm looking for an answer. I'd have used far more words if I was complaining, or fewer.

veteran
veteran
The answer is no, because the Kickstarter will be done and over before DOS:EE comes out. I suggest you don't pledge for D:OS 2 in the first place if you are concerned.

old hand
old hand
NSTGC,

There are a few things to consider with how Larian does their kickstarter.

1.) There will "most likely" be a tier where the game will be much cheaper then when finally released...though it will be just a digital copy download off GoG or Steam.
2.) You can always increase your tier by donating more towards the end of the fundraiser! It might be possible (like last time) to increase even after kickstarter.
3.) The EE enhancements are post-production. The company was done and satisfied with the product. As time went on and they saw how loved the game was, they decided to give the game one last free update and made it possible to support D:OS for a longer time in the future.
4.) The whole point of the kickstarter is to give Larian just that little bit more funding they need to really finish off the game. It is also a great way to get feedback by more serious gamers that are willing to pay for the product many months prior to release.
5.) If there is a alpha/beta like last time, you can help with the initial bug squishing and content suggestions. Just imagine if we never got that little "key bag" and they all went into the regular inventory... *shudder*
6.) Last Kickstarter, Larian was VERY active with updating and informing everyone on how the project was going and showing us what a difference it all really made.

7.) Most importantly, you are going to be talking directly to the development staff. Programmers, composer(s), CEO. They read the forums often, just rarely get time to post.

www.lar.net for the CEO's personal blog.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 26/08/15 07:53 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I'll just message Larian via Kickstarter when it's up.

[edit] Linux isn't even mentioned. Oh well. Sounds like Dragon Age: Origin done right.

Last edited by nstgc; 26/08/15 01:05 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard