Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Windemere
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
I can't help but cringe at how utterly petty people are and how desperate they are to both play the victim and stand on their street corner loudly proclaiming their offense.

Strong irony in this post. OP asks a simple question and gets a diatribe in response. laugh

He makes very solid points all across the board. This isn't so much about the OP as much as it is about whether Larian should cower in a corner of political correctness.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
He makes very solid points all across the board. This isn't so much about the OP as much as it is about whether Larian should cower in a corner of political correctness.

Ah okay, so he or she was just taking the opportunity to whine about whiners and wasn't really replying to the OP. Got it. wink

Last edited by Windemere; 31/08/15 03:38 PM.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Support
Support

Most people have pet peeves that can annoy them out of proportion to what the situation may call for, or can react to something more due to having a bad day and a particular post just being the straw that broke the camel's back.

There were 2 writers for D:OS, which has been increased to 7. The intent for D:OS 2 is to make the story better, with better characters, plot development, etc.
In order to object the OP's comments that they hoped Larian didn't start using colloquial profanity, or to think that that was some kind of call for censorship, you must first think that it is likely, or at least possible, that the writers intend to start using colloquial profanity. The one known use of the 's-word' is a reference to actual manure attracting flies. Even if that placeholder text remains unchanged, there are not going to be a large number of references to manure in the game, and there is no evidence at all to suggest that the 's-word', or any other modern profanity. will be used as such in the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Windemere
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Ah okay, so he or she was just taking the opportunity to whine about whiners and wasn't really replying to the OP. Got it. wink

He or she made a lot of great points....what I don't get is what are you getting at? Seems to me like you are the one whining.

old hand
old hand
Raze, you are both a scholar and a gentlem- ... person! smile

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Depends on how they rate the game, though I'm guessing they will go for the same rating as D:OS which is fine. Larian gears their games for the more family friendly environment. (But Dwarfs still cuss)

Alternatively, they could do a "Firefly" and do made up cuss words and use them where appropriate in dialog to emphasize a Dwarf's frustration or an Elf's shock at a situation.

Slightly off topic however, the PC world does get a bit tiresome. I don't cuss much myself, but I never cared to live in a completely sterile environment either. As an adult I feel like I'm still treated as a child. Some days I just feel like saying "oh, what the hell" and walk out the door in a diaper.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
P
stranger
stranger
P
Please no mandatory censorship.

Optional censorship for OP and children is ok tho :-)

Support
Support

Elf: Hey, you want some of this?
Dwarf: Yo, I will f*** you up, you little b***!
Human: Talk to the hand.
Lizard: Dudes and dudettes, just, like, chill out, man. You are harshing my vibe.

Anybody think that is likely, or fits in the game world? No? I didn't think so.

Larian is very unlikely to add modern profanity to the game, and is under no moral obligation to do so. That is not due to political correctness, and saying that you hope they don't do so is not a call for censorship.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze

Lizard: Dudes and dudettes, just, like, chill out, man. You are harshing my vibe.

Raze, this is great laugh I can literally see a stoned lizard hanging around in the corner, shaking his head at the goings-on.

(Which is not to say that I think that kind of dialogue would fit into the game. But something along these lines would make for a fun NPC encounter.)

Last edited by Nimue_de; 31/08/15 06:03 PM.

You misspelled b****

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by gbnf

You misspelled b****

It was for babe.
[...] you little babe!

hehe

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert

You misspelled b****

"Bum"?

J'aime le fromage.
Originally Posted by Vometia

You misspelled b****

"Bum"?

nope that would've been b**

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
nope that would've been b**

Might be using a proportional font: "m" can be quite wide.

J'aime le fromage.

Elf: Hey, you want some of this?
Human: Talk to the hand.

Anybody think that is likely, or fits in the game world? No? I didn't think so.

Although funny, you do realize that certain words can be used in dialog without it all having to be rewritten into ghetto speak right?

Geralt's dialog in The Witcher series is a perfect example.

I'm not advocating either way on the matter however, I may be disappointed in a squeaky clean, square, straight as an arrow, political correct Dwarf.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I think Larian should invent their own dwarfish, orcish and elfish swearing language (and add a dictionary in the manual) hehe

Originally Posted by Elwyn
I think Larian should invent their own dwarfish, orcish and elfish swearing language (and add a dictionary in the manual) hehe

I fully agree and totally vote for this as a stretch goal! laugh

D
stranger
stranger
D
I prefer adult games/don't take away from the story to be a 13+ video game for kids.

I prefer swearing that is based on the lore of the world, that for me is better than using earth based swearing xD

There needs to be more sexuality when it needs to spice things up or to tell a good story or make an excellent quest.

The less restrictions the better ... I just want good story, good backgrounds, good characters and a filled with immersion and choices.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Von_Rotten

Geralt's dialog in The Witcher series is a perfect example.

*sigh*

Thats the upcoming Problem, which disturbed me to begin with the Success of Witcher 3. I love the Witcher series, but now, everyone who enjoyed the Game thinks/mean, every other Game have to be like Witcher.

Sorry, but no. Witcher 3 isn`t a new Standart for RPGs but his own fresh style of a Game. Like Series - even though i love Game of Thrones, i don`t want that every new Fantasy Series is like Game of Thrones, where Peoples die like flies.

The Witcher 3 is for adults, because of their Topics, but that alone doesn`t make a story deeper/emotional. Or do you want to say, that Tolkiens Masterpiece, which is much Family-friendlier, is nothing compared to Adult Storys like Game of Thrones or Witcher?!

As it goes for me, i wish that Larian Studios stay loyal to themself. They have their own unique Style. They don`t need swearing or nudity(but maybe a bit more serious writting)...

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Tolkein did dwarves, Salvatore does dwarves. Those are great books and I don't ever remember any of them having to swear to get across the attitude and nature of the dwarven race as a fantasy archetype.

There are a lot of great Fantasy writers out there who can write great stuff and not have swearing in it. silence

Last edited by freeportaa; 01/09/15 08:46 AM.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard