Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#568841 09/09/15 09:15 PM
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In the previews, Larian has mentioned that if two player characters come into conflict, but peace is restored they can agree to enter into a pact.

What is unclear are the consequences for breaking such a pact. Swen said in the Devline that he'd like to hear from the community about ideas for that.

Okay, here's a few ideas I have. What about you?

Pact of Wealth: Break the pact, and X amount of gold is taken from the pact-breaker. You can't get around this by dropping it first, because until the debt is paid off, any gold which enters your inventory will be automatically whisked away to the victim's inventory until the debt is paid off.

Pact of Blood: Attack the victim and your own health suffers an immediate hit, and the life is transferred to the victim, up until X amount of damage is paid off.

Pact of Power: You get a condition where your primary attributes all suffer a -2 penalty until you make amends.

Pact of Pain: You absorb X amount of damage that would have been done to the victim (no matter what the source of the damage is) until the "pain debt" is paid off.

Stabbey #568843 09/09/15 09:37 PM
Pact of reputation: npc's in the town/area where it happens will treat you negatively until you make amends. Vendors will raise prices until you make amends. If you keep doing this maybe vendors &/or other npc's will just shun you.

Stabbey #568844 09/09/15 09:46 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Pact of knowledge: You forget X spells or skills which are randomly selected and cannot re-learn them again for the next two levels.

Pact of magical power: The power of all your skills/spells is reduced by X % for the next Y fights.

Pact of insanity: You are no longer sane and cannot control your powers (e.g. in a fight you randomly loose control over your character for a turn and the AI takes over the control over your character for this turn). This condition lasts for Y fights.

Pact of a ghostly retribution: You are haunted by randomly re-spawning ghosts whom you have to fight. The number of fights and of enemies is based on your level etc.

Pact of a confused mind: Your inventory gets messed up and you randomly mistake poison for healing potion, rusty sword for a legendary one, rare precious stone for an egg etc. This condition lasts for a certain amount of (in-game or real) time.

Last edited by Elwyn; 09/09/15 11:02 PM. Reason: Edited the "until you make amends" part
Stabbey #568848 09/09/15 10:07 PM
addict
addict
I missed anything Pact-related, but can really those be ... how shall I put this... "not roleplay friendly" ? Meaning, a pure gameplay mechanics thing.
Also a condition "until you make amends" seem a bit weird. If one party break the pact, it's not to be virtually a slave to the other until they make peace. I believe having an instant punition is more credible.

So far only Stabbey's pact of Wealth seems okay to me. But I may have missed something that was said in the stream or whatever.

By the way, are those Pacts only "pacts of non-agression", meaning the only thing they bring is a punition should any party break the pact, or can they also act as actual incentive for characters to cooperate ? ( difference between the stick and the carrot smile )

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Stabbey #568850 09/09/15 10:53 PM
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You're right that "until you make amends" is uselessly vague. Swen's the one with the big thick design document on pacts, I don't really know enough about how they're going to work, or if they are indeed just a stick or if there could be carrots involved.

So yeah, I'm just shooting ideas randomly out of my brain-hole.

Stabbey #568851 09/09/15 11:03 PM
addict
addict
And I think you're right to do so anyway. I'll try to get some ideas together myself, but it's getting hard to think past midnight !

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Dr Koin #568852 09/09/15 11:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
A random thought of mine silly:

Pact of cheese: You come across a ghost of cheese vendor who decides to follow you for X amount of time and insists on selling you his cheese by constantly advertising it.

Last edited by Elwyn; 09/09/15 11:14 PM.
Elwyn #568853 09/09/15 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Elwyn

Pact of cheese: You come across a ghost of cheese vendor who decides to follow you for X amount of time and insists on selling you his cheese by constantly advertising it.

Did you really just promote in game supernatural spam? :p

Elwyn #568855 10/09/15 12:44 AM
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

That's the most horrible one ever! I don't think anyone would ever break that pact.

Elwyn #568857 10/09/15 02:07 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert

That has to be included into the game somehow! laugh

Not entirely sure why I seem so keen to be irritated... but, y'know, cheese.

J'aime le fromage.
Stabbey #568859 10/09/15 02:35 AM
addict
addict
How about: pact of redemption?

If you or the party has done something wrong(hurting someone, killing someone, etc.) , then you need to do things that'll earn their forgiveness, bit by bit. Earning redemption shouldn't be a one-off act which would make it easy to cheat.

It could even be a change in the way your character sees and does things.

Last edited by DrunkenTofu; 10/09/15 03:21 AM.
DrunkenTofu #568861 10/09/15 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by DrunkenTofu
How about: pact of redemption?

If you or the party has done something wrong(hurting someone, killing someone, etc.) , then you need to do things that'll earn their forgiveness, bit by bit. Earning redemption shouldn't be a one-off act which would make it easy to cheat.

It could even be a change in the way your character sees and does things.

Agreed. That's why with the Pact of Reputation npc's &/or vendors would shun you if you kept breaking that pact. Townspeople would shun you because they just don't trust you anymore regardless of what you say or do. You would be forced to go to a previous vendor to sell your stuff & be forced to buy lower caliber items. Also you'll be forced to find new ways to continue/complete any quests in that area. But only for the town/area where you broke the pact. You get a fresh start in new towns.

Stabbey #568865 10/09/15 08:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Stabbey

That's the most horrible one ever! I don't think anyone would ever break that pact.

Hehe, yep, it is probably the only one which I will never ever break^^.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard