Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Since this is (allegedly) going to be a darker story, the new composer could use Liszt's technique of thematic transformation to transform previous themes from the Divinity franchise and make them familiar, yet wrong (darker) somehow. Even though Kirill's pieces were already quite dark :p Apocalypse is right though, Kirill did set quite a high standard for the music and just randomly picking a composer who will compose the score using a generic template in an afternoon will decrease the quality of the overall game.

journeyman
journeyman
Well... where Lacrymas posts, there is an argument. Even though you could agree with some things he is saying, he is saying it in such a way that it is hard to understand. Dear sir, if your aim is to be a teacher then you will surely become one, but on any standard of my own I wouldn't call you a good teacher. Best teachers are those who use words that most people understand and easily explain principles they are talking about. I had one professor who taught me math and he was approaching us in a way you do. What did I learn? Well almost nothing.

Back to composer though. I agree that Kirills tracks were unique, so we will need someone who will give us something... hmm fresh? Maybe it could sound a little generic, but there must be some track that would really stand out.

SteamID: LordW (https://steamcommunity.com/id/LordW1984)
Devine Order of Devinity

Larian made DoS 1 then DoS EE and now they are doing DoS 2, that is 3 games... DIVINITY 3 is comfirmed guys!
I have to agree with LordW here. We need a composer that will make the music sound fresh. Kirill was great, but unfortunately he is no longer with us, and I don't think it's smart (or even fair) to expect the new composer to sound like Kirill, or even to ask him to imitate or use the music that Kirill left us. The best we can hope for, is that we will get a composer who will also sound unique, in his own way (even if there are some generic tracks among it).

veteran
veteran
Well, what about Kyle Landry then? He's a very talented pianist and composer and only at the very beginning of a great career and giving him a chance in the industry on some bigger level might be a smart move by Larian. Such a young talent without a huge track record of compositions for video games could be the perfect succcessor to maestro Kirill, meaning a fresh start for the series with somebody who doesn't have to compete with Kirill (yet). He could both leave his own mark and honour Kirill's legacy in the Divinity series.

http://kylelandry.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/kylelandry

Last edited by LordCrash; 14/10/15 01:50 PM.

WOOS
Does he compose anything other than piano compositions? I don't mind piano at all, but a whole game soundtrack built only around the piano, would not be my idea of a worthy succession to Kirill.

D
stranger
stranger
D
My vote would go to Austin Wintory. Personal favorite, famous for Banner Saga and Journey.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Marcin Przybylowicz maybe ? He did a great work in the Witcher 3

Last edited by FB2G; 19/10/15 08:31 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by FB2G

When I went to the tavern, and Geralt sat down just to listen to a song, I thought: goddamnit, I'm playing a video game, not going to a concert.

But I was pleasantly surprised. All the music in Witcher 3 is really special.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, I also love the music from the Witcher games*: especially the tavern music, but a lot of the ambient stuff too. The composers have a different style to Kirill, but I think their music could really work with the Divinity games too.

* well, except for the horrid creepy fiddle/viola/whatevs you get in places like Crookback Bog, though the music is still creating the appropriate atmosphere...

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran

No. He's the Witcher composer. Larian needs an own one. I also think that the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.

Last edited by LordCrash; 21/10/15 02:35 PM.

WOOS
addict
addict
Originally Posted by LordCrash
the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.

I played Witcher 2, but my memory isn't good enough to comment. But I strongly disagree with you on the comparison to D:OS.

I am not a fan of the music from D:OS. I just think it's "good enough". In particular, the title screen music was nice, but it was too loud and powerful for the title screen and I didn't like it in context.

I don't agree with implications that Kirill is the best in the industry. Whoever replaces Kirill, I get the feeling that some people are going to hate on the new composer regardless of whether or not he does a good job. (I'm having flashbacks to when the lead singer Tarja left Nightwish.)

F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by LordCrash

No. He's the Witcher composer. Larian needs an own one. I also think that the Witcher 3 soundtrack is inferior to the previous ones AND ultimately inferior to everything Kirill did, especially with DOS.

Kirill was great I agree (still listen to DOS and D2 ost) but we need to move on. I don't agree about the ost being inferior to Kirill, it is different not inferior. 2 differents composers can both be great

I think this one sounds very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1FLk6BgATc

It's a game soundtrack from Endless Legend. Just give it a try.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Hi Everyone. So many great composers have been already mentioned in this thread!
I would like to suggest Bulgarian composer Borislav Slavov - he was responsible for amazing (and incredibly underrated) Two Worlds 2 soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BE1-ejUTNI&list=PL3eRFEF-NHBHKLvI-h4eIWex8eQf-azN0

veteran
veteran
is there any official word on it? Just curious who could be a match to something like this:

Support
Support

No, there has been nothing new mentioned, AFAIK.

stranger
stranger
Whoever the new composer would be, Kirill lives on in my heart whenever I hum the ambient music in Divine Divinity. One of my greatest childhood moments when I had that box in my hands, those two discs for installation, killing all the orcs around the starting village, those memories.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Probably not easy to get, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Andreas Waldetoft.

https://youtu.be/zk0ZQTzjqMc?t=560

veteran
veteran
Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsmjKEFwUms

Personally, I'm not impressed. I have no doubt he is a great composer, but is he as good as Kirill for Divinity games? But I will wait for the first samples.

Last edited by Kein; 10/02/16 08:23 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard