Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Support
Support

The Mac version resumed development when the Kickstarter goal was met, but platform concurrency was not a stretch goal, and was never promised (even for Mac, Larian was unsure if it would catch up to the Windows version by release). The Linux version was always planned to be started once the OSX version was done; that was very, very wrongly expected to be not much extra work after the OSX version was done, but there was always going to be development time required.

People in general were predominantly supportive of the delays to the original release of the game, given the extra content being added and changes made. Anyone who backed the Kickstarter for the Linux version who was unhappy about the delays with that version could get a refund.

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Originally Posted by Harper013
I suggest not supporting companies you don't feel deserve your money. There are *plenty* of other games to play out there. And for us primary/preferred Linux users, there are plenty of companies who support you. Give them your money.

My understanding is that the delay was simply a question of priorities. Like you say, SteamOS/Linux users are a very small %.

As for whether Larian "deserves" my money...... I don't know. I do know that they'll have "earned" my money when the Linux port is done and released.
I don't think too many gamers choose not to play a game as critically acclaimed as D:OS over such issues as how delayed the game is. I've waited a lot longer for other titles and been (I'll wager) much more dissapointed in the result.

Support
Support

The main issue was poor planning; Larian assumed that certain OSX middleware also existed for Linux, and was included with it. That was not the case. There were a few issues with middleware along the way, in addition to the time needed to program the stuff that didn't exist.
By the time the Linux version was done it was very out of date, so needed to be updated. There was the already outdated release version of D:OS, or the current code base at the time for the EE. It wasn't feasible to update it twice, so it was delayed again for the EE, since at least that way it would be the most up to date game version, and the current engine would be ported, making it possible for future games to support Linux.

Raze #577362 22/12/15 08:32 AM
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by "Raze"
By the time the Linux version was done it was very out of date, so needed to be updated. There was the already outdated release version of D:OS, or the current code base at the time for the EE.
And this is what I honestly do not understand. Why on earth would you implement functionality like Linux support on a separate copy of the code base in the first place? Maybe open a branch for the initial work, but at least keep it all together in the same repository so that all updates to the code will automatically end up in all the different platforms.

Can only hope the devs learned their lesson and handle this better for DOS2.

ka1man #577368 22/12/15 10:02 AM
Support
Support

There are separate branches of code whenever there is an update, etc. People keep working on the main trunk, and only specific changes will be moved into the release branch, so it can be tested.
There were significant changes to the game engine for the EE; even for the Windows version, with the last couple of patches only specific changes and additions were moved to the release branch.

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Sincerely hope this will drop before 6 Jan now.

Steam sales! My poor wallet.... *sobs*

K
stranger
stranger
K
Steam sales end January 4th.

Also, you should just do what I plan to do. Wait for DOS:EE to go on super sale (which it will since it's only 33% off now and if it doesn't, pick it up on the 4th for 33% off) regardless of whether OSX/Linux are released.

After you purchase you'll still have 14 days to return to steam (which considering they're really just working on fixing 1 bug, the game will likely be released by this time).

The plan of the century

W
stranger
stranger
W
Its there!
They saved it up for a christmas present.
Thank you Larian!

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Yep. Downloading right now.

Should be able to have some split-screen shenanigans with family tomorrow (provided controllers work - they are notoriously weird in Unity engine games).

Otherwise we'll just play online. In the same house. Why don't games support LAN anymore - I could be saving tens of megabytes of bandwidth on several occasions throughout the year smile

Last edited by haveahappy; 23/12/15 08:23 PM.
old hand
old hand
D:OS does support LAN. Also it's not Unity. So in other words you should be good to go.

Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
Unity??? Don't make me laugh. It's all home-brewed :hihi:

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I honestly have no idea why I thought it was Unity. 30 seconds thinking back to some clips I've watched tell me it can't be.

Brain fart.

stranger
stranger
Linux version works perfectly on my main machine but on my laptop it gets:

Game crashed

Thread "EoCApp" (1245698496)

Signal: 11

(0) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 : +0xf8d0 [0x7f44524358d0]

on start (game window flashes for a second then disappears)

OS is same (Debian testing), just that desktop got "real" GPU (GTX780) but laptop only got intel HD (i5-4200U)

ka1man #577501 24/12/15 07:41 AM
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by ka1man
With the nature of such bugs -- and the upcoming holidays -- in mind, I read that as "not this year anymore".
I stand corrected!

Only had time to install it and go through character creation (which I think I'll have to redo, as I forgot changing the character portraits), but seems to be working really well. Kudos!

Now, only thing left is try if it runs on my wifes MacBook (which just meets the minimum specs, except for plenty of RAM) and then get her to like it. That would be a blast! Alas, little hope for latter.

Merry Christmas!

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Merry Christmas and happy holidays guys smile

W
stranger
stranger
W
Thanks for the game getting on the linux platform :)

Have a small bug though. Pressing Alt does not trigger the items highlight.
Debian 8, Geforce GTX970 with 352.55 drivers. Tried fullscreen, fake fullscreen to no avail.
Not a game breaker but finding small objects takes time and gives a bit of frustation.

Wondering if Im the only one.
Thanks

Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
Alt is not enabled on Linux, as Alt+Mouse moves window around. On Linux use 'X'

W
stranger
stranger
W
Thanks a lot, 'x' works.

Guess I was relying too much on the tutorial saying it was the Alt key.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Hey guys, thanks for the Linux release, been waiting for this for a long time :)

I have a couple of PS3 controllers which the game simply won't recognize - I can use them in steam big-picture mode just fine but the game is stuck on kb+mouse. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this issue any further ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard