#578103 07/01/16 01:30 AM
R
Raubrey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Hi All,

After 5 or so minutes playing solo or co-op I get this error and a black screen. I can move the mouse and hear sounds but have to CTRL- DEL to leave the game. {EDIT -- This problem didn't start right away but at level 2-3 after obtaining companions).

ID3D11Device: CreateTexture2D Failed!
Error: DXGI_Error_Device_Removed
Desc. Hardware Device Removed

[img:left]http://imgur.com/dqVUVjS[/img]

I finally bought the game for a friend to co-op with also, after many hours with the Original. frown

Otherwise, I hadn't played the enhanced version before but also have a newish PC and unintentional (don't ask) Win 10.

So the cause could be any of the above since my OEM card--745 GTX 4GB --(not 1GB as is erroneously listed in benchmarks) s not popular. Though I can run Fallout 4 on medium or better and haven't had many issues with it on most games.

Otherwise I hope that the problem is solvable. I googled to no avail.

I am considering switching back to 8.1 or making a dual boot PC with Win 7, but my preference is to get DOSEE working with Win10. I have a couple more weeks to decide.

Thanks in advance.

My DXDiag (I didn't know where to send it)
http://pastebin.com/gHUJaDbZ

Last edited by Raubrey; 07/01/16 02:08 AM.
Support
Support

This error may be an indication of a hardware problem.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls have caused conflicts (generally on loading screens) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs have also caused issues.

Check for updated graphics drivers and Windows updates in general.

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.
With the GOG version, in the (optional) Galaxy client, select Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition in the left column, then click on the More button, and in the Manage menu select 'Verify / Repair'.

In the graphics options, try switching the Quality Preset to Low or Very Low, and see if that makes a difference. You could also try a lower game resolution or switching to the Windowed display mode.

Try disabling texture streaming (that is the main cause of reloading textures). This can improve performance, but also increases memory usage, so could cause stability issues on systems with less than 4GB RAM. It might cause a crash on startup, but it is easy to change back if it does.
Open the graphicSettings.lsx configuration file (in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition' folder) in Wordpad, or other text editor, and search for the term 'Stream'; two lines below that, change the one to a zero to disable texture streaming.

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="TextureStreamingEnabled" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="0" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="1" type="4" />
</node>

If you check the Event Viewer, does that give an error code or 'Faulting Module' file name that might give a little more information than the error message?
- click Start (or WinKey-R), then type "event viewer" into the search box. in Windows 10, 'event' should bring up 'View event logs'.
- after starting the Event Viewer, expand 'Windows Logs' in the left column and select 'Application'
- in the center column, look for a recent error (maybe sort by Date and Time) for the game
- check the information under the 'General' tab below the list of events, starting with "Faulting application name..."

Raze #578131 07/01/16 03:33 PM
R
Raubrey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Thanks for the timely reply, Raze.

I have most the general recommendations covered as far as updates and potential software conflicts, though I did have Windows Firewall on. Last I recall it didn't conflict with the Original version on my system, but that was before Win 10. I can turn that off.

As for the hardware -- I've put it under two stress tests and while I've had some really drastic and poor FPS fluctuations, depending on the test the card seems serviceable.

More importantly in real-world performance it handles some pretty intensive games (generally at lower res but with high/ultra textures) including modded Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition and Fallout 4.

I know I could use an upgrade for optimum performance, otherwise, but crashes haven't been an issue so far.

I have plenty of memory, so I will try to disable streaming and get back with you on that along with the firewall.

Below is the error report (I didn't know if I was to look up the extended logs if you need them). I included a couple of crashes that occurred around that time as well.

I don't know if the Acer bloatware is part of the problem? The Acer Quick Access thing allows me to dim the bluelight of the monitor. Could that be causing a conflict?

Thanks again!

http://pastebin.com/raw/5CMDexxm

R
Raubrey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Just letting you know that I think disabling streaming fixed the problem.
I also disabled the Acer Quick Access (bluelight filter) just in case since that crash occurred just prior. If it remains stable I'll try turning it back on and update the result here in case it helps another Acer player and/or for troubleshooting purpose.

Thanks again! Hopefully this solves the issue. smile

R
Raubrey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Well, I continued to have crashes even at lower resolutions and then another game started crashing, w/o the DXGI error.

I reverted back to Win 8.1 and no crashes have been found so far on med-high settings at 1440 X 900 -- in 6 hours of co-op play. I could possibly boost the graphic settings if I wanted to.

So as an FYI for anyone with a 745 GTX 4G GPU or similar, I am running stable using

Driver version: 358.91
Direct3D API version: 11.2
OS - Win 8.1

The other game I was crashing on was apparently a Win 10-related issue as well and/or conflict with select video cards.

I'm happily enjoying co-op now at least and hope this info may help someone. I kind of miss Cortana's jokes but it is a small price to pay.

Regards.

P.S. I did enable V-sync -- and capped at 40. Haven't tried w/o yet. I did this just because it has helped in the occasional game because of VRAM bursts.

Last edited by Raubrey; 10/01/16 02:55 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
I'm getting this error on Windows 10 as well, on an Alienware Alpha i5-4590T with 8GB RAM and a GTX 860M variant with 2GB GDDR5. When the crash happens it's corrupting something in the video driver because after all game performance is awful until I clean reinstall the drivers. I'll try the texture streaming change but from the sounds of it Raubrey didn't have any luck with that so I'm not very hopeful.

stranger
stranger
I am also having the problem with Windows 10. At first I thought that it was with the EE as I switched to it when I decided to pick this game up again. However after reading this I realize that last I played I was running 8.1; now unlike some I am not willing to switch back. Windows 8 was vile, and although I do not like 10 or some of the issues, it is still better in my opinion. If anyone finds something that works to correct this, I have open arms. I will continue to toy with some things in my settings and if I happen across something I will give a shout.

R
Raubrey Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Since there have been a few posts on the topic, I wanted to confirm that I played about 200 hours of DOS:EE after this thread with no issue on Windows 8.1. This was not the only game that Win 10/Nvidia caused a conflict with, though it was not this particular error, too many games were unplayable.

I will not switch to Win 10 because my GPU is not very popular and I don't expect their to be a fix for it any time soon, if ever be it Nvidia or Microsoft, nor expect the devs to invest more time than what is reasonable and customary for a non-standard OEM card. (most versions of my card are different even).

I can play Witcher 3, Fallout 4 etc. and this game all on Med or High settings with my little 745 GTX 4GB. So I am not in a rush to change it as it is going to be a hassle to physically fit one in the system.

Sure, I rather have Win 10 but this is a gaming system. I'll leave it on my notebook.

I wish you luck 1loneelytie in your investigation of the problem.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard